Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 01:58 AM CDT
Elanthepedia says we have 2 for Carving and 1 for the pending Reactants.

Is the bonus really for Carving, or is it Tinkering?

Lockpick making will go under Tinkering once it's ready, correct? If this is the case, it's odd if our bonus is for Carving.
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 02:53 AM CDT
I was told that all that stuff will be reworked once everything is released.

They say careers and hobbies are permanent but I have a hard time believing that once all the crafting disciplines are released that they won't let people rechoose them one time. Still, I'm not choosing any right now just in case.

Why would it be under Tinkering though? We always carved them with knives traditionally. Tinkering would be a lot cooler in a way because we could make those things on spy movies where they stick it in the lock and it goes whirrrrrr! and opens it instantly though lol
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 11:05 AM CDT
>Is the bonus really for Carving, or is it Tinkering?

Carving now, tinkering later.

".. When 3.0 releases you'll see your Techs reset and bonus techniques along with them."

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/General%20Discussions%20-%20Lore/view/2184

>Why would it be under Tinkering though? We always carved them with knives traditionally.

Carving handles bone and stone. It makes more sense for lockpicks to be metal which means forging or tinkering. Forging already has plenty of products.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 11:06 AM CDT
The guild techs were put in place long before what went in every discipline was finalized. Lockpicking was originally going into Carving but it was moved to Tinkering. Kodius is aware that the extra techs don't match up for what they were intended to give a bonus in for several guilds, but he isn't going to do any guild related crafting releases until after he has released all the disciplines, and the extra techs fall into that.

>>They say careers and hobbies are permanent but I have a hard time believing that once all the crafting disciplines are released that they won't let people rechoose them one time. Still, I'm not choosing any right now just in case.

There is always the chance that Kodius will soften up on that issue by the time everything is released, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that. There was a career/hobby wipe at the release of 3.0 since everyone had a huge penalty to crafting (like 100+ ranks) unless you picked a career/hobby because there were no crafting skills prior to the release and every discipline used Mech Lore. Since there is no mechanical penalty to not having a career or hobby anymore I'm not sure he will be as forgiving to people who just made hasty decisions. Time will tell.
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 11:09 AM CDT
>>Carving handles bone and stone. It makes more sense for lockpicks to be metal which means forging or tinkering. Forging already has plenty of products.

Well, keyblanks are made under Blacksmithing and turning them into lockpicks will fall under Tinkering. So it technically falls under both Forging and Engineering skills.
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 11:32 AM CDT
>>Well, keyblanks are made under Blacksmithing and turning them into lockpicks will fall under Tinkering. So it technically falls under both Forging and Engineering skills.

It's possible there will be more templates, but keyblanks as they currently stand are stupid-easy, so while you'll need some skill to make them, it's a bit negligible in the long run. For all we know they might be sold in crafting shops like wooden poles, leather straps, etc, even though those can also be crafted.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 11:37 AM CDT
>I'm not sure he will be as forgiving to people who just made hasty decisions.

Unless your a real life Elf you can't call 6-8+ years 'hasty'.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 03:12 PM CDT
Time will tell but it seems rather unfair to bind someone to a decision they made a decade ago without all of the information available to them. Kodius has been great about telling us stuff ahead of time but no one can predict the course of development over this many years, that goes for GMs and players alike.

Like I said I'm not choosing mine yet anyway though, just in case.
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 03:16 PM CDT
Let me preface this by saying that I agree with a career/hobby wipe.

> Time will tell but it seems rather unfair to bind someone to a decision they made a decade ago without all of the information available to them.

To be fair though, this is how things are with race and guilds and weapon choices. Barring any major changes such as removing a weapon skill, things are usually set in stone. That can always change (see spell wipes) and change again (see spell wipes), but I personally wouldn't choose a career or hobby until you're absolutely sure you're okay with that character being locked into the choice.
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 05:04 PM CDT
>To be fair though, this is how things are with race and guilds and weapon choices. Barring any major changes such as removing a weapon skill, things are usually set in stone. That can always change (see spell wipes) and change again (see spell wipes), but I personally wouldn't choose a career or hobby until you're absolutely sure you're okay with that character being locked into the choice.

True but most of the races and guilds were established at roughly the same time, not over the course of such a lengthy interval as crafting. I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing Kodius or any of the other GMs working on crafting because I'm not, I love the new systems and can't wait for them all to be rolled out. But we do have to take into consideration how long this process has become.

You bring up a good comparison in spell wipes. Those have happened quite often as magic underwent significant changes (even before 3.0). Similarly, I don't think it would be so game-breaking to allow everyone a SINGLE opportunity to re-select their careers and hobbies once every discipline is fully released and all the cards are finally on the table, as it were. I guess I'm just not seeing the major downsides to letting us do that.

I have a feeling though if a wipe ability is added it will be to the Simucoin shop, a la the stat reset potion. I'm against that in principle but if the price point wasn't ridiculous then I guess it would be better than nothing. Perhaps the ideal situation for me personally would be a single, free wipe for everyone once all system are released, then a semi-expensive wipe (to prevent abuse) available in the Simucoin store that could be used anytime.
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 05:23 PM CDT

> True but most of the races and guilds were established at roughly the same time, not over the course of such a lengthy interval as crafting. I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing Kodius or any of the other GMs working on crafting because I'm not, I love the new systems and can't wait for them all to be rolled out.

I remember when the Rakash were released. My moon mage assisted and asked if I could get a race change. Didn't happen. There were also major changes such as normalizing weight across races and stat changes.

> I have a feeling though if a wipe ability is added it will be to the Simucoin shop, a la the stat reset potion.

I suspect you're right. I'm just encouraging people to act in a way that wouldn't leave them disappointed if the careers and hobbies turned out to be permanent.
Re: Thief Crafting Technique Bonuses 09/21/2016 06:40 PM CDT
Yes and as I stated I am not choosing my hobbies or careers yet. I understand the need to hedge bets.

Rakash is an exception, most of the races were created around the same time not added piecemeal. Crafting has been rolled out in stages from the very get-go so I'm not sure it's the best comparison. Also from an RP perspective, changing race is pretty hard to justify whereas people change careers (and certainly hobbies) all the time.