Thief magic items 11/03/2013 09:50 AM CST
Barbarians, as the other NMU guild, have a wide variety of magic items (roar helms, face paint, voice beer, fear cloaks, shark teeth) which are fairly potent within their tradition.

Is there any intention or design for thieves to have access to something along these lines? Concentration boosting/restoration items, stealth boosters (hello thug powders?!), things like that.

Personally I'd love to see more of an alchemy style bent where we can use consumable items which are easily bought/made from regular stores inside the guild and stored inside 'dirt pouch' style containers.

If not, I think it would be nifty if we could 'active' magic devices like runestones in some fashion; we lack the obvious anti-magic bias of a barbarian, and our abilities are intrinsically 'internal focus' oriented, it could arguably be, er, argued, that thieves could screw up their mental focus and courage enough to get an effect out of a magic device. Obviously not charge one, but limited use/manipulation would give us a pretty cool niche.

Obviously there'd be no spell casting actively, but with runestones, and similar activated devices, you channel the magic from the device rather than specifically from yourself. It doesn't really square with magic theory in DR as a whole, but it could be explained fairly easily depending on the exact definition of 'inner magic' in 3.1; if we take the anime approach and say thieves are now ninjas (since so many love to play one) and then further take some stereoptypical ninja anime, thieves totally manipulate essence or chakra or something. Totes makes sense. Though we have to wear black to use magic devices now.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Thief magic items 11/05/2013 08:57 PM CST
>Totes makes sense. Though we have to wear black to use magic devices now.

Even better. You must be wearing or have the color in your code name somewhere on your person. ^^

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Thief magic items 01/04/2014 12:30 AM CST
>If not, I think it would be nifty if we could 'active' magic devices like runestones in some fashion; we lack the obvious anti-magic bias of a barbarian, and our abilities are intrinsically 'internal focus' oriented, it could arguably be, er, argued, that thieves could screw up their mental focus and courage enough to get an effect out of a magic device. Obviously not charge one, but limited use/manipulation would give us a pretty cool niche.

In lore, runestones don't work like that. They're mineral that happen to be able to channel mana into the right "shape" for the spell pattern. But this requires the user to at least be able to channel mana into the stone. Thieves lack this ability, as they have no attunement.

Now, that's not to say there aren't magic items that don't require mana, there are, but runestones aren't them.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html