Gurka 09/15/2008 04:42 AM CDT
I was recently going through some of the books I have dealing with WWII and came across a book with a picture of a Gurka knife and I got to thinking...during the war the only fighters the Japanese were afraid of in the jungles were the Gurka fighters. Thier blades are wicked and designed as a cross between a knife and an axe. It would be a truely awesome weapon for the fest thief merchants. Weve basiclly had the same few thief merchants at the last few fests and well, the Gurka (if done right with balance and all) could make a good starting place for new thief type items at fests.

I went to wiki and heres a short snippet on what they say about the knife...

Though the khukuri is basically designed for chopping and stabbing war purpose, but it still can be used in other household or daily works. Such as: it can be used in building or digging a furrow, to cut meat and vegetables, to cut trees etc. It function resembles a cross between a knife and an axe.

Depending on the purpose its design and manufacture varies. Blades are usually 3 - 10 cm wide and 30 ? 38 cm long, but size varies depending on its purpose.
Blades are deflected at an angle of 20? or more, with a thick spine and a single sharp cutting edge; this causes the end section of the blade to strike square on, greatly increasing chopping effectiveness.

"My wierdness bar for chicks is set real high and your clearing it in sneakers." Charlie Sheen
Re: Gurka 09/15/2008 07:30 AM CDT
Have it be the first weapon sold by Ambika in her comeback.

Leuc
Re: Gurka 09/16/2008 10:02 PM CDT
A google search for pics of this results in a lot of pictures of sliced cucumbers...

What would make this different than any other LE slicer?

~GameMaster Nhia
Weddings Team Lead
Elothean Champion Trio

"I was married once in an online fantasy game. We were thinking of having children, but it would have severely drained my power crystals." -- The Simpsons, comic book guy
Re: Gurka 09/16/2008 10:22 PM CDT
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0geu9D0d9BI5SIAUmZXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&p=Gurka%20knife&fr2=tab-web&fr=yfp-t-501

check that out.
Re: Gurka 09/16/2008 11:05 PM CDT
Ooh. Boomerang.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Gurka 09/16/2008 11:44 PM CDT
>>A google search for pics of this results in a lot of pictures of sliced cucumbers...

>>What would make this different than any other LE slicer?

of the pics of the gurka knife that DREIBELBIS1 shows on his link he provides, the one I like best would have to be http://www.himalayan-imports.com/ank%20khuks%20-%2020ak%2018ak%2016-5chiruwaak%2015ak.jpg

"My wierdness bar for chicks is set real high and your clearing it in sneakers." Charlie Sheen
Re: Gurka 09/16/2008 11:58 PM CDT
>>Ooh. Boomerang.

the only thing it has in common with a boomerang is it has a curve to make it resemble a boomerang in a basic kind of way (personally I never even thought boomerang when I looked at it). The gurka is not in any way a throwing type knife.

Re: Gurka 09/17/2008 12:09 AM CDT
>>What would make this different than any other LE slicer?

forgot to respond to that part of the question...with the addes weight of the flared end of the weapon it has the weight added to the momentum to go in through thicker armor and muscle to do greater damage than your average light edge weapon. As a backstabbing device, It could possibly be used for stabbing, but isnt designed for it so I wouldnt put a lot of puncture on it. Defintly better than average slice. would be absolutely great for a hamstringer. Id say real nice slice, decent impact, poor to dismal puncture.

Re: Gurka 09/17/2008 01:29 AM CDT
>>the only thing it has in common with a boomerang is it has a curve to make it resemble a boomerang in a basic kind of way (personally I never even thought boomerang when I looked at it). The gurka is not in any way a throwing type knife.

No, but the idea of a sharpened boomerang entertains me. Especially if it returns to you at neck level and your reflexes are a little slow.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Gurka 09/17/2008 02:39 AM CDT
>>No, but the idea of a sharpened boomerang entertains me. Especially if it returns to you at neck level and your reflexes are a little slow.

like something out of Mad Max huh?

Re: Gurka 09/17/2008 04:55 AM CDT
<<A google search for pics of this results in a lot of pictures of sliced cucumbers...

I had been tempted to call it a cumcumber since the thread's inception.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Gurka 09/17/2008 09:24 AM CDT
>Watches someone throw a sharpened boomerang.

>Watches someone catch a sharpened boomerang.

>Turns and yells over his shoulder, "Someone needs a empath!"

Personally.. I've never used a gurka for what they were intended for. But I do like the balance and capacity for mayhem. And their very interesting to sharpen Grin

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at dr-annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@Play.net
Re: Gurka 09/17/2008 10:55 AM CDT
>Personally.. I've never used a gurka for what they were intended for.

Gurkhas were intended to be soldiers, I hope you didn't mean you have been using a Nepalese fighting fellow for some other purpose...

I worked in support of 2 Rifles, Royal Gurkha Regiment earlier this year, but I never got my hands on a Kukri. It is a versatile weapon, and I think to answer Nhia's question, it could be a good thrusting and slicing weapon as opposed to one or the other. It always baffles me when I find my katar has better slice then puncture when the real katar was usually designed as a 'punching' sword...

Synyster Shadowmaiden
Re: Gurka 09/17/2008 10:56 AM CDT
All this talk about boomerangs has a song running through my head now:

My boomerang won't come back!
My boomerang won't come back!
I wave the thing all over the place,
practice 'til I am black in the face....

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Gurka 09/17/2008 04:08 PM CDT
>>I wave the thing all over the place,
>>practice 'til I am black in the face....

"You know how I got these scars?"

---
"Close your eyes -