Prev_page Previous 1 3
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/19/2014 04:07 AM CDT
>Can you please test and let me know how it feels? The first backstab on an enemy should be 3-5x as potent as a thrust. All subsequent backstabs should be about 2x as potent as a thrust.

All of this is from after the post.

Alpha strikes continue to just seem very random for me. Sometimes my alpha hits for 5/22 sometimes for 12/22 sometimes I do one-shot things, even without eliminate, but I'm pretty sure that's due to critical body part destruction (head/neck).

Sometimes the alpha misses which is fine since "any attack can miss" but that seems to trigger the alpha cooldown. I can objectively see how this could be intended, but it's like a double or triple whammy, because you just wiffed, maybe got a longer RT, lost balance, and you know your next attack even if it lands is gonna be low damage.

As far as subsequent backstabs, a thrust against the same critter hits for 3 or 4/22 and the backstabs hit for 5 to 8/22 (... so that's probably inline with what you're saying.

Like I said in a previous post, I just feel like something is going on for me with backstab, it just doesn't feel like it did at the end of test 3.1.
But I continue to be unable to really explain to anyone, even myself, what exactly is making me feel that way. I've made sure everything is repaired, I've tried several different critters up and down the ladder, I've tried with buffs, without buffs, with different combinations of buffs, with different weapons... I could just be crazy, but it still just doesn't feel like it did. It's not horrible but with the randomness it's just well... very random.

In regards to PvP, against another thief, who is about as near in skill to myself as anyone could be and again it was just very random, one second we were both missing like crazy, then hitting each other for 20% vitality and good wounds, then missing again, then 20-25% vitality and severely stunning each other. Maybe it was just that even of a match up.

If you need more information on my skills and stuff let me know, but its largely the same as the last time I emailed.

Maybe part of the problem is that backstab doesn't so much need tweaks (aside from the alpha strike), but that SE and ME need some tweaks. Just a random 4:05am thought.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/19/2014 08:55 AM CDT
>>Sometimes the alpha misses which is fine since "any attack can miss" but that seems to trigger the alpha cooldown. I can objectively see how this could be intended, but it's like a double or triple whammy, because you just wiffed, maybe got a longer RT, lost balance, and you know your next attack even if it lands is gonna be low damage.

Hmm, the cooldown should only apply on an actual hit due to the location of the cooldown code. Previously it was in the VERB action, now it is in the DAMAGE action (which isn't called when you miss). However, I can double-check it for you.

>> PvP

Against someone of identical skill, your to-hit is only like 20-30%. Now, backstab itself increases this to about 45-50%. Then the stealth bonus increases it some more. Using your attack skill buffs will boost it even more.

But while backstabbing you usually don't have super balance... maybe your opponent does, so that helps counter it out. During MY testing, with an 85% chance to hit I actually wiffed 7 out of 8 attempts. Goddang RND just hates you some days!

One option may be to use an Ambush to STUN or otherwise penalize the target, before going in for the Alpha Backstab. Then you'd get an assured to-hit cap.

>> ME/SE

These look to be fine. I don't see the problem with them. Doing 5-6% per hit every 2-3s is a good pace. You'd kill a man in a little less than a minute using just your basic attack. And a minute using basic stuff is the bar. This pretty well matches TM damage which is 10-11 seconds of TARGET time for a 15%-25% chunk of vitality.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 12:14 AM CDT
> Doing 5-6% per hit every 2-3s is a good pace

Id like to see backstab damage multipliers separated further than just small edged. Traditional light edged weapons with no backstab penalty should have a higher damage multiplier than medium edged, enough to make them both viable for backstab. At current bigger 30 stone ME piercers are the best and only backstab weapons available.

If the standard is 3-5x right now, maybe keep that for ME and up traditional LE weapons to 5-8x? Seems suitable considering the cap differences. (somewhat heavy vs very heavy puncture, not including slice/impact)

It also seems logical that the damage bonus could be tied into weapon balance, more accurate/lighter weapons are better at hitting vital areas.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 12:31 AM CDT
>If the standard is 3-5x right now, maybe keep that for ME and up traditional LE weapons to 5-8x? Seems suitable considering the cap differences. (somewhat heavy vs very heavy puncture, not including slice/impact)

If you wanted to increase backstab damage that much, you would need to add some pretty obscene RT or cool off to it in order to preserve the balance Kodius is striving for. Id much rather have a Maneuver Assassinate the required SE and had some impressive damage capability and gate that by charge up time, cool down and RT. That way backstab can stay how it is as a balanced stealth attack and we can have a potential nova/alpha strike maneuver.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 01:08 AM CDT
> If you wanted to increase backstab damage that much, you would need to add some pretty obscene RT or cool off to it in order to preserve the balance Kodius is striving for. Id much rather have a Maneuver Assassinate the required SE and had some impressive damage capability and gate that by charge up time, cool down and RT. That way backstab can stay how it is as a balanced stealth attack and we can have a potential nova/alpha strike maneuver.

Please re-read what i said about small light edge weapons being unusable with backstab.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 05:55 PM CDT
I understand the concern regarding LE vs ME and Backstab. A few options:

1). Increase the BS RT for ME to be an extra 1-2 seconds. This would balance the DPS a bit.

2). Or give LE a 25% damage bonus when BSing.

As for the overall damage, 5% for a thrust, 10% for a backstab and 20% for an alpha backstab would appear to be plenty. Considering the additive damage bonus possible from Khri Eliminate, stats and T6 weapons.. and that is when we start getting into the unbalanced 1-2 hit kill territory.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 08:13 PM CDT
> 1). Increase the BS RT for ME to be an extra 1-2 seconds. This would balance the DPS a bit.

> 2). Or give LE a 25% damage bonus when BSing.

Increasing BS RT for ME would not solve anything, the best alpha stabber would still be the one with the most damage, regardless of RT. Increasing the LE damage bonus is the best course of action i would say.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 08:30 PM CDT
>>Increasing BS RT for ME would not solve anything, the best alpha stabber would still be the one with the most damage, regardless of RT.

Except Kodius seems to be interested in DPS.

If increasing ME's RT makes its DPS equal to LE's DPS over time, then he's happy balance-wise.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 08:50 PM CDT
> If increasing ME's RT makes its DPS equal to LE's DPS over time, then he's happy balance-wise.

Not gonna lie.. I thank my lucky stars every day that you aren't in charge of balance for any systems, sir.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 08:57 PM CDT
Heh, you guys take this stuff too seriously...

DPS is a big component of game balance. Alpha strikes are more important for PvP, but still get my consideration. Hence why I mentioned BS + Eliminate + High Stats + T6 weapon = dead Pally :/

But there are only so many avenues we can take considering DR's age and legacy combat design. Small weapons tend to be faster. If someone BS's you and is then standing at melee for 5 seconds, it allows the defender more time to bash your brains out your ears.

Stuns also still need some tweaking as we transition into barrier work. I'd like to see LE have a bonus to stun duration as we pull back the numbers.

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 09:00 PM CDT
>Increasing BS RT for ME would not solve anything, the best alpha stabber would still be the one with the most damage, regardless of RT. Increasing the LE damage bonus is the best course of action i would say.

What you seem to have missed here and in the following posts is that Kodius is balancing sustained damage over time, not simply alpha strike. Alpha strike is alpha strike because it's supposed to be big, that's why it only effects the first shot.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to open with a ME for the big alpha, then swap to LE because it allowed you to be more reactive and fast, while ME was slower.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 09:55 PM CDT
Since I'm not a thief expert, what exactly does Eliminate do?

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 10:21 PM CDT
> What you seem to have missed here and in the following posts is that Kodius is balancing sustained damage over time, not simply alpha strike. Alpha strike is alpha strike because it's supposed to be big, that's why it only effects the first shot.

Ok... when i talk about alpha strike im not talking about JUST alpha strike, don't take it so literal. Adding extra RT to ME would not make it any more balanced in a feasable and acceptable way. You may even make ME unusable for backstab due to excessive RT.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 10:52 PM CDT
Well hold on. If a LE Backstab does 16% vitality, and a ME Backstab does 20% vitality, and a ME backstab has +2 seconds of RT, which is equivalent to 1 thrust (4% damage with a LE) - where is the imbalance?

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 11:25 PM CDT
> Well hold on. If a LE Backstab does 16% vitality, and a ME Backstab does 20% vitality, and a ME backstab has +2 seconds of RT, which is equivalent to 1 thrust (4% damage with a LE) - where is the imbalance?

Well simply put, RT is the enemy. Quicker repeated attacks will always do better than larger slow attacks, because you do more damage as your opponent gets more hurt. If ME backstab is given more RT, it will no longer be a viable backstab weapon when compared to LE. If LE backstab is not boosted in some way, ME will always be the best stabber.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/20/2014 11:37 PM CDT
That may be your opinion, but it is not supported by the math. LE attacks do not pierce armor as well as ME attacks, so it all depends on your target. LE is likely best for lightly armored targets and ME for heavier armored targets.

Currently harder hitting attacks have a higher chance to stun and stun for a longer duration. I think adding 1 second to a ME backstab and increasing the LE backstab stun chance might be a good start to see where things are.

Also, it appears that Eliminate's armor-ignore does not work on critters. So this may explain why your Eliminate Backstabs are overpowered against players, and useless on critters.

No attack should completely ignore armor. Even cloth reduces the incoming damage by about 50%.. so the 20% hit becomes 40-50% quite easily. And with that strong of a hit the target is likely stunned and a follow up backstab seals the deal. We'll have to discuss how to fix it for critters and modify it for players. I don't want it to lose its edge as it seems like a unique ability.

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 12:04 AM CDT
> That may be your opinion, but it is not supported by the math. LE attacks do not pierce armor as well as ME attacks, so it all depends on your target. LE is likely best for lightly armored targets and ME for heavier armored targets.

This is more than just my opinion, it is application of practical knowledge from living, breathing, and eating the systems you work so hard to math into submission. No matter how well you understand the math behind these systems, math alone will never be enough to truly understand and balance them in a way that will make players happy. That is where knowledgeable players come in, whom have the practical knowledge to assist you and allow for proper system balance to happen.

To my knowledge the only benefit of using lighter weapons with backstab is accuracy, the damage of a ME weapon would far exceed a LE, even against a lightly armored opponent. For that reason, i state again that no one with any knowledge of systems would use a LE weapon to backstab with, regardless of target.

> No attack should completely ignore armor

I do agree that no attack should completely ignore armor, ive always believed backstab should ignore a percentage of armor only, based on how much you win the contest, capping out at like 25% armor ignoring or something similar. Eliminate should be rewritten into something else, along with that.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 03:02 AM CDT

>LE attacks do not pierce armor as well as ME attacks

I can't help but always think it should be the other way around, and I don't mean just for backstab. I mean for every single weapon in the game.

Lighter Weapons = Faster but less raw damage but with more Armor/Barrier penetration.
Heavier Weapons = Slower but more raw Damage, but less Armor/Barrier penetration.

>Currently harder hitting attacks have a higher chance to stun and stun for a longer duration. I think adding 1 second to a ME backstab and increasing the LE backstab stun chance might be a good start to see where things are.

Honestly I kinda wish stuns would just die. I hate stuns, I'm not ever going to make a weapon choice based on its capability to stun.
Especially now that stuns seem to make only a terribly small difference, that is at least for anyone not casting one of a few obviously broken spells.

How about something like leaving ME at 3, and instead increasing the chance that LE gets its -1 RT and maybe a bit of a damage increase (or the other stuff I mentioned).

I feel like if any of the backstabbing gets any slower than it already is... I'm just going to end up doing the alpha and then spam jab.

That can't be what we want.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 08:38 AM CDT
>>I do agree that no attack should completely ignore armor, ive always believed backstab should ignore a percentage of armor only, based on how much you win the contest, capping out at like 25% armor ignoring or something similar. Eliminate should be rewritten into something else, along with that.

Ignoring some armor is fine, but with the current combat system it is "all or nothing". I'll have to rewrite portion of combat to give us added flexibility.

>>That is where knowledgeable players come in, whom have the practical knowledge to assist you and allow for proper system balance to happen.

I don't disagree, but must first achieve a mathematically balanced model and tweak from there. Your opinion is weakened when stacked against the other Guilds complaining BS is overpowered. Opinions are too subjective. They are too prone to manipulation from many sources. So I first get things looking good number's wise and move from there. We aren't there yet, which is why I'm considering several options.

>>Lighter Weapons = Faster but less raw damage but with more Armor/Barrier penetration.
>>Heavier Weapons = Slower but more raw Damage, but less Armor/Barrier penetration.

The current armor protection/absorb model is weird. It didn't work then, and it certainly doesn't work too well now. Might need to add an actual armor penetration mechanic that each system can call. This is why we can't have cyclics and DoTs and multishot TM that work - their lower damage just get nullified by the armor's protection.

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 08:53 AM CDT
LE should do more damage.

In the real world I've never been able to backstab anyone with a 2 foot sword anyway - its ridiculously cumbersome. But most importantly, and it may seem counter intuitive, but the efficacy of stabbing with a 2 foot sword (avg. ME) is really hindered by lifting, drawing back, and thrusting, sometimes at a moving target - its HARD TO DO - take it from me. And yes I did my time.

LEs are MUCH more effective. The damage is in the depth of the incision (MEs are so difficult to stab with the incision is actually a lot more shallow than you might think, and definitely a lot more shallow than a heavy LE).

So let's be realistic. And let's give SOMEONE a reason to use LE - thieves. Damage - damage - damage - damage.

Not even kidding.

Srs.

about.

this.

Do it.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 09:04 AM CDT
>>Not gonna lie.. I thank my lucky stars every day that you aren't in charge of balance for any systems, sir.

...except if you've read anything Kodius has written in the last couple years, you'll see him repeat time and time again that DPS is his strongest focus when it comes to game balance.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 10:21 AM CDT
>The current armor protection/absorb model is weird. It didn't work then, and it certainly doesn't work too well now. Might need to add an actual armor penetration mechanic that each system can call. This is why we can't have cyclics and DoTs and multishot TM that work - their lower damage just get nullified by the armor's protection.

Yep. And this would hugely benefit LT Multi-throw blades, LT Throwing Daggers, and LE weapons in general.

>other Guilds complaining BS is overpowered

Two things:

1) A lot of this was in 3.1 test... 3.1 live is not the same. In test alpha strike was a lot more accuracte and 7x damage. Now its much less accurate and 3-5x damage. Eliminate is a different sorry, trouble is the victim who already hates being "ganked" doesn't realize how many commands and timing and skill checks and RNG rolls ACTUALLY went into them getting pwned. All they see is the end result.

2) The rest of the complaints are due to how wildly different the command (BACKSTAB) performs at different circles and against different guilds (with different Prime/Secondary/Terts).
It's the same thing that was happening with LT complaints. At some circles it over-performs like crazy, but then at some point armor and barriers become too powerful.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 10:30 AM CDT
What if backstab used the same cooldown mechanics as maneuver + some other restrictions, like first strike? IIRC, a couple of the maneuvers also ignore armor, but they're offset by having 60 second cooldowns.

In other words, a successful backstab gets to ignore armor + deal bonus damage + have extra accuracy, but you can't really just stalk/backstab/stalk/backstab/stalk/backstab all day.

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 10:36 AM CDT
>In other words, a successful backstab gets to ignore armor + deal bonus damage + have extra accuracy, but you can't really just stalk/backstab/stalk/backstab/stalk/backstab all day.

In order for that to make any sort of sense backstab exp would have to be turned up by a large amount. But, other than that, I don't really see a problem with that approach.

A Moon Mage bars your way, whispering "I am afraid you are not on the list I have Kasto. Maybe some other time?"
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 10:48 AM CDT
>>In order for that to make any sort of sense backstab exp would have to be turned up by a large amount.

Agreed. That or expand what teaches backstab. I could have sworn at some point that just ambushing critters taught it.

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 11:56 AM CDT
>Eliminate is a different sorry, trouble is the victim who already hates being "ganked" doesn't realize how many commands and timing and skill checks and RNG rolls ACTUALLY went into them getting pwned. All they see is the end result.

I don't mind being ganked by someone I can't touch, and I think I told you as much in test. However, I really don't like abilities that completely nullify someone's skill set advantage or don't give someone a fair chance at fighting back. That includes not just eliminate, but other stuff like the watch verb, which may or may not still be a problem -- I don't know because I stopped using it a long time ago.

I also appreciate the prep that goes into debilitating someone just right to get one, maybe two good hits. People don't realize how hard it is sometimes to land and use a shatter on a moving target or someone with stun-hiders or autohide, someone with reforming invisibility, etc. as a survival tert character. Even perfectly executed, I've never come remotely close to killing anyone, even anyone far below my paladin, in one hit. I mean, I've had shatter-throws critically miss on even matches more often than I care to admit. I'm guessing that's why people don't still complain about it.

Kodius, I tested BS yesterday on my thief against a relatively closely matched moon mage buddy with no barriers up. Backstabs missed noticeably less than thrusts but the damage didn't feel appropriate. I felt like non-alpha backstabs should be doing at least 50% more damage than they're currently doing. I feel like backstab should make ME hit like a very balanced, very heavy 2-hander for its alpha strike, but it didn't feel close to that. Bear in mind, my thief is low to mid level (300-400 skill range) not 150++ circle. My sample size wasn't large, maybe 20 or 30 backstabs, but there was so little variance that I didn't feel like I needed to sample more.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 12:13 PM CDT
'watch' makes sense.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 01:28 PM CDT
> What if backstab used the same cooldown mechanics as maneuver + some other restrictions, like first strike? IIRC, a couple of the maneuvers also ignore armor, but they're offset by having 60 second cooldowns.

> In other words, a successful backstab gets to ignore armor + deal bonus damage + have extra accuracy, but you can't really just stalk/backstab/stalk/backstab/stalk/backstab all day.

I am actually impressed you came up with this, PB. The idea is genuinely good, i would fully support a change of this sort. The ability would also have to bypass barriers, or anyone with any kind of barrier up would just eat the entire attack and giggle at me for my failed attempt.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 02:32 PM CDT
I actually disabled the armor ignore of the Impale maneuver because it was grossly overpowered :P

Please give actual numbers if you can. % vitality lost, Khri up, skills and stances of attacker/defender, and their armor if you could.

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 04:50 PM CDT

>>What if backstab used the same cooldown mechanics as maneuver + some other restrictions, like first strike? IIRC, a couple of the maneuvers also ignore armor, but they're offset by having 60 second cooldowns.

I really don't like this idea.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 05:01 PM CDT
Never mind. My test was no good. The moon mage's perception made those backstabs no more than basic thrusts much of the time, which is why it felt so weak. Oops! I don't have any good test subjects right now. I'll try to find one and gather results.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/21/2014 05:02 PM CDT
Here's my two cents for whatever its worth.

Backstab is in a rough spot because of all the things its trying to do. Taken one at a time none of the effects are too out of whack, but the combo makes for a frustrating ability to be on the receiving end of.

Alpha strike modifier - 5x damage. As an idea, for PVP (PvE I honestly couldn't care less about a thief 2-3 shotting critters all day), seems pretty fine considering. The thief has to engage, get to melee, and make the attack. Passing all those rolls should offer a suitable reward, and a large bonus to damage for all the checks involved seems fine.

Defense skipping - Skipping Parry/Shield. On its own, I can see a place for this type of effect. However, in the current combat model of requiring two defenses, adding this effect to anything just seems like insult to injury to survival terts. It relegates the defender to a snake eyes chance of the attack not connecting.

Balance boosting/low defensive modifier - For training/PVE, this makes sense. Its a required to circle skill, and combined with a healthy hiding req a thief is going to be BSing at melee, and having a large defensive hit/balance hit means the thief is being punished for training. PVP it only adds to the defenders issues of trying to muster a counterattack, especially post stun with a balance hit.

Adding those together and things start to feel like a runaway train. Throw in Eliminate and you've a recipe for exactly what you have here, non-thieves screaming the ability is overpowered, thieves getting extremely frustrated to see nerfs to an ability thats silly in a certain situation.

Personally - I don't know what the exact answer is. Making it a maneuver type ability with a cooldown seems like a large change that would cause a lot of hiccups to the thief community. Knee-capping the ability because of synergistic effects with other abilities makes it seem lackluster at best used on its own. Perhaps there's a middle ground with the Alpha strike and a healthy accuracy buff, without the massive stacking defender penalties? Or, could changing eliminate go a long way to fixing the woes?

I don't know what the final answer should be, but I DO feel the move should always have some teeth, as its been the Go-To move for generations of thieves and seems almost iconic at this point of DR.

Samsaren
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/24/2014 01:52 PM CDT
>Hmm, the cooldown should only apply on an actual hit due to the location of the cooldown code. Previously it was in the VERB action, now it is in the DAMAGE action (which isn't called when you miss). However, I can double-check it for you.

Well, here's a log that pretty much proves it.

The arthelun cabalist closes to melee range on you!
>
> hide
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

HR> advance
You are already at melee with an arthelun cabalist.
H> backstab

Your blade is a little awkward, but usable.
You slip out of concealment and backstab an arthelun cabalist!
< You thrust a fuligin nightmaster's blade accented by a blackened moonsilver grip at an arthelun cabalist. An arthelun cabalist evades, barely leaning out of harm's reach.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and in strong position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

> hide
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

H> backstab

Your blade is a little awkward, but usable.
You slip out of concealment and backstab an arthelun cabalist!
< Moving like a striking snake, you thrust a fuligin nightmaster's blade accented by a blackened moonsilver grip at an arthelun cabalist. An arthelun cabalist fails to dodge, only slightly avoiding the blow.
The blade lands a hard hit (5/22) to the cabalist's back.
[You're winded, adeptly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a fuligin nightmaster's blade accented by a blackened moonsilver grip, you are certain that the arthelun cabalist is something that you'd kill quickly.
If you attacked with a fuligin nightmaster's blade accented by a blackened moonsilver grip, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
As you consider a stealthy assault on the arthelun cabalist, you believe she has a low chance of stopping your attack (4/13).
You feel highly confident in the accuracy of your judgement.

I don't know how some people are getting such huge results on backstab (not using eliminate), but for me it seriously sucks.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/24/2014 04:39 PM CDT
Just in case it helps, heres my running log of backstab numbers.

All against the same critter, all with the same weapon, all with the same buffs.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a fuligin nightmaster's blade accented by a blackened moonsilver grip, you are certain that the arthelun cabalist is something that you'd kill quickly.
If you attacked with a fuligin nightmaster's blade accented by a blackened moonsilver grip, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
As you consider a stealthy assault on the arthelun cabalist, you believe she has a low chance of stopping your attack (4/13).
You feel highly confident in the accuracy of your judgement.

50 Backstabs in 3.0 Prime:
22,12,5,7,14,12,12,9,11,13,11,16,13,9,10,14,17,9,14,6,10,9,17,7,9,15,11,6,5,9,11,7,11,7,11,11,22,9,8,7,9,13,11,17,10,14,11,13,10,5
_________

50 Backstabs in 3.1 Test, before autostance was added:
11,6,9,12,8,11,9,12,13,11,7,10,17,18,8,10,6,13,7,12,9,11,11,13,7,15,5,14,14,12,11,9,11,7,10,8,9,7,14,9,9,10,12,9,10,8,9,16,9,11
_________

50 Backstabs in 3.1 Test, after autostance was added:
5,4,6,3,7,4,4,5,4,4,5,4,4,3,3,6,6,5,3,6,5,7,7,4,3,4,4,5,5,6,7,6,6,5,4,3,4,5,4,5,5,5,5,4,3,3,5,5,4,5

_________

50 Backstabs in 3.1 Test, after Backstab Update 01/18/2014 07:08 PM CST:
8,8,8,8,8,10,8,10,10,5,8,13,8,11,7,11,4,7,8,7,9,7,8,7,4,11,7,11,8,13,8,5,10,10,8,10,8,8,8,8,11,8,9,9,7,10,8,8,11,7
_________

50 Backstabs in 3.1 Prime just after 3.1 launch
7,7,7,5,8,9,7,9,7,5,3,4,8,10,5,7,9,10,8,8,7,9,8,9,7,6,7,7,7,8,7,7,10,8,7,5,10,7,6,9,8,10,7,5,7,7,,5,7,7,4

_________

50 Backstabs in 3.1 Prime after Backstab Tweaks on 05/19/2014 02:18 AM CDT
5,5,6,6,9,6,6,7,9,6,5,6,5,7,8,8,7,7,7,8,8,9,8,6,8,8,5,6,6,9,5,5,6,6,9,5,6,6,9,6,6,7,9,6,5,6,5,7,8,8

_________

50 Backstabs 5/23/2014 in 3.1 Prime
7,7,7,8,7,7,7,7,7,9,6,6,8,9,6,6,7,5,5,9,6,6,6,7,5,6,6,6,7,7,6,6,6,5,6,6,7,7,8,7,7,5,8,5,8,5,8,5,4,7
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/25/2014 12:59 AM CDT
No, I just tested again and see no cooldown being added when you miss a backstab. I'm not sure what to say, other than the RND can make testing difficult.

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/25/2014 01:15 AM CDT

Well if you look at my last two tests there its like I'm not even getting an alpha strike anymore, unless you're honestly saying a hard hit (5/22) is a valid alpha strike... how is that 3-5x a thrust? It's like 1.5x a thrust.

Most of the time my alpha strike is less damage than the successive hits, even to different body parts.

I get that there is going to be a discrepancy in the damage messaging due to vitality, but is it really that much?
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/25/2014 01:16 AM CDT
For what it is worth, I am seeing this with a copied circle 150 thief:

Small Edge - 931 ranks
Backstab - 1200 ranks
Stealth - 1200 ranks

vs Cabalist with 950 ranks of skill

First backstab:

< With grace, you thrust a thrusting blade at an arthelun cabalist. An arthelun cabalist fails to evade. The blade lands a very heavy hit that pokes a nasty hole in the cabalist's neck, severely stunning her.
[You're nimbly balanced and in superior position.]

Second backstab:

< Driving in with naturally fluid movements, you thrust a thrusting blade at an arthelun cabalist. An arthelun cabalist attempts to evade, avoiding most of the blow. The blade lands a strong hit to the cabalist's neck.
[You're incredibly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]

But yes, it does vary a bit due to the damage rolls and armor defense rolls involved. I was seeing about 6 Backstabs to kill a cabalist, or about 30 seconds. In comparison to using THRUST and LUNGE where I was seeing about 50 seconds to kill one with 1200 ranks of small edge. That seems pretty reasonable to me...

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/25/2014 01:34 AM CDT
>>I get that there is going to be a discrepancy in the damage messaging due to vitality, but is it really that much?

Yes, vitality plays a very large role in damage messaging.

A hard hit may be a valid alpha strike if you rolled poor on the damage.

re: Backstab Tweaks 05/25/2014 01:47 AM CDT

>In comparison to using THRUST and LUNGE where I was seeing about 50 seconds to kill one with 1200 ranks of small edge.

I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be overly difficult or unreasonable but all that made me think was...

How long does it take to kill a cabalist with 1200 TM or 1200 2HE?

I guess I just need to get used to backstab doing such tiny hits.
re: Backstab Tweaks 05/25/2014 02:16 AM CDT

One last little data dump and I'll stop for a while.

For me I'm seeing:

45-51 seconds using just thrust to kill. Something like 15-17 thrusts.

For backstab, yes it's 6-7 to kill, which for just the backstab is 18-21 seconds, but its also another 12-14 to hide or 18-21 to stalk each time.

So that's 45-51 seconds V.S. 36-42.

THRUST using just one skill. BACKSTAB using three.

But I guess that is a 18-20% improvement so I guess that is reasonable? I dunno it's hard for me to look at it that way I guess.

Of course there's other factors to using backstab like if you get spotted and need to re-hide/stalk/run away/wait out the spot effect, or whiff on a backstab because then its effectively 5-6 seconds of no damage compared to missing a thrust, which is only 3 seconds of no damage.
Prev_page Previous 1 3