Prev_page Previous 1
3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 07:12 AM CDT
Has there been any announcement or discussion of the 3.0 release for thieves? I know repeSe is pending HE, but if it's that close to release, surely we can get a breakdown of the abilities and what to expect?

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 10:10 AM CDT
I believe our updates are going to be at some point after Magic 3.1, which is after HE, it may be (though hasn't been suggested that I know of) to fall in line with Magic 3.2 (which is amongst other things planned Trader's Magic release).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 10:21 AM CDT
Thieves are 3.1 and will be in test to the best of my knowledge. (Ricinus is the guy you want to talk to about Thieves 3.0)

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 10:49 AM CDT
>Thieves are 3.1 and will be in test to the best of my knowledge. (Ricinus is the guy you want to talk to about Thieves 3.0)

That's spiffy, the work ricy and company did for clerics was amazing. I wasn't trying to poke GMs, just haven't followed the boards much the past few months, didn't know if there were details already.

So is 'after HE' the current time estimate? So a month or so? Till they hit test?

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 10:57 AM CDT
Maybe Raesh will give a finer timeline, but I believe it is they'd like to hit it up before HE, but HE is dragging them by their innards or intestines or something (I think that was Kodius who said that).

So my belief is all bets are off of anything but HE finishing out before HE. However I'm hopefully Test will be opening soon after, I know some Empath stuff needs to be tested and a few other things.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 11:06 AM CDT
The hope was to push it into test shortly after UnCon and before HE. That... is looking unlikely (There's also some RL commitments going on with some key people too). I'd say "shortly after HE" is a good bet at this point, but again, not the guy with the authoritah to say for certain.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 12:32 PM CDT
>>surely we can get a breakdown of the abilities and what to expect?

Yep. Though please keep in mind as always that Thief abilities are IG secrets and are not to be discussed openly in game.

Also... This is the ability list as it stands PRIOR to testing and player feedback. We reserve the right to continue to improve or nerf anything listed below during the actual play testing and beyond. Testing will indeed be done during the 3.1 testing, so, Soooon.

Khri
Darken - Stealth boost.
Hasten - Chance for RT reduction on attacks.
Focus - Agility boost.
Dampen - Stealth hinderance reduction.
Strike - Backstab boost, melee weapon boost.
Silence - Pulsing Invisible.
Safe - Locksmithing boost.
Avoidance - Reflex boost.
Plunder - Discipline, Thievery boost.
Prowess - AOE pulsing debuff (engaged) Fear vs Will when hidden, Power vs Will otherwise. Reflex, Tactics debuff.
Sight - Perception boost, nightvision effect.
Calm - Self dispel, indescriminant.
Shadowstep - Same as before.
Sensing - Same as before.
Vanish - Disengage + Invisible.
Flight - Athletics boost, pulsing balance boost.
Guile - AOE pulsing debuff (engaged) Charm vs Will. Evasion debuff.
Steady - Bow/XBow boost.
Eliminate - Brief -noshield -noarmor debuff.
Serenity - SvS barrier vs Will.
Liberation - pulsing -web/-immobilize.
Elusion - Evasion/Brawling boost.
Sagacity - Physical damage ward.

Combinations
Secure - Focus/Safe/Sight - Additional chance not to blow a box.
Speed - Avoidance/Plunder/Flight - Something nifty for PvP, not terribly useful otherwise.
Spar - Strike/Steady/Elusion - Thrown weapons boost.
Skulk - Darken/Dampen/Shadowstep - 0 second sneak in urban areas, +nolocate.
Prescience - Sensing/Serenity/Sagacity - Passive spot, additional guard avoidance/justice bonus.
Cunning - Hasten/Guild/Liberation - Charisma/Tactics boost.

Ambush
Stun - stun/unconscious depending on success.
Slash - Prevents engaging/retreating/movement, may cause target to kneel on high success.
Choke - Single target debuff - Stamina.
Screen - AOE (range limited) debuff -perception, minor pulsing RTs.
Clout - Pulsing concentration drain.
Ignite - Keeps your friends warm during those long cold winters.

Enjoy!

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 12:40 PM CDT
That's a cool list. I assume the pulsing debuffs will teach debil, that sagacity will teach warding, and most abilities will be augment? Or utility?

Is the plan to have a slot cost system similar to barbs? Or will we continue to have a system similar to how it works now, the combined 'at will' khri and level determined ambush/etc?

I'm making a further assumption, that thieves will move to a skill based magic system, but will skill or concentration determine ability strength and number of abilities able to throw down?

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 01:08 PM CDT
>>pulsing debuffs will teach debil

Yep

>>sagacity will teach warding

Nope, Utility. Thieves won't have to worry about learning the Warding skill.

>>and most abilities will be augment? Or utility?

Well, discounting the debilitation abilities, the remaining are about 50/50 Augmentation/Utility.

>>Slot costs

Similar to the current system, except that instead of giving out the first three khri at 10th, Thieves will get 1 at 1st, 5th and 10th.

>>that thieves will move to a skill based magic system, but will skill or concentration determine ability strength and number of abilities able to throw down?

Well... a skill based Supernatural system. Strength of each ability is based on Inner Magic skill blended with the appropriate subskill(s). Each ability has a one-shot cost or a pulsing cost to concentration which will be the balance for how much you can do at once. With the new concentration cost model you will be able to run a set number of khri for full duration like you can now, or run more than usual for a shorter period of time.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 01:41 PM CDT

Looks great to me.

Comments:
If clout is being completely changed, make ambush stun function like ambush clout does now. Clout is more useful because it can be done without weapon restrictions and is non damaging. It also can be done while aiming a ranged weapon.

Prowess and guile now give a reason (besides confidence) to keep training charisma.

I am very glad ambush screen will remain an AOE perception debuff. This can be very useful.

Ambush choke looks interesting. Will this be done from hiding?
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 01:43 PM CDT
Spiffy. Thanks for the details Ricy! (Yes I will continue to call you that because I enjoy being obnoxious)

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 02:33 PM CDT
>>make ambush stun function like ambush clout does now

I might consider allowing a lessened weapon restriction for stun, so you could use the hilt of a bladed weapon instead of having to rely on a blunt weapon, but it will never be a bare-handed attack.

>>Ambush choke looks interesting. Will this be done from hiding?

Yep. And it retains the attempt to rehide after the attack as Sight did.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 02:50 PM CDT
I'm still super excited about these changes.

After the meeting awhile back when you announced these, I thought they sounded good. After looking them over and comparing it to what I experience now with my Thief using his abilities, I'm even more convinced it will be a good change.

Plus, honestly, I could really use a bunch more TDPs. :-)

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 07:34 PM CDT
>>I might consider allowing a lessened weapon restriction for stun, so you could use the hilt of a bladed weapon instead of having to rely on a blunt weapon, but it will never be a bare-handed attack.

Yes, please to this. Or something like it is now that your weapon has to have a certain level of impact to be used. I really don't want to have to backtrain a weapon just for one ambush, plus it would make it very awkward using it in PvP having to switch to use a blunt for one attack then switch back to a bladed weapon.

The only other thing I question is that you have to use a 3 khri combo just for a thrown buff. This won't have a huge effect on my character but I know plenty of thieves that use thrown as a main weapon.

Other than those couple of things I think it looks good and gives us more decisions to make when it comes to what we use. Can't wait to test it out.
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 07:47 PM CDT
Something I forgot to ask: will backstab be changed to be useable without the 'ambush target' workaround?

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 07:52 PM CDT
>>will backstab be changed

It's not really part of this update, but it's something I don't mind looking into once 3.1 issues are sorted out.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 08:03 PM CDT
>It's not really part of this update, but it's something I don't mind looking into once 3.1 issues are sorted out.

That would be great. It's awkward now to have to choose between training on skinnable, or backstabable and box dropping critters.

An ideal solution would be, as suggested elswhere, to allow 'backstab' to work on any critter, possibly with a damage penalty to non-bipedals.

The 'ambush target' is functional, but clunky, and horribly hit or miss with exp.

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/25/2013 08:11 PM CDT
Since we're talking about ambush slash, what requirements are needed for the weapon to be usable, seems it needs to be ME or smaller, weight doesn't seem to be an issue.

Anyone have any particulars?

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/26/2013 08:13 AM CDT
>>Well... a skill based Supernatural system. Strength of each ability is based on Inner Magic skill blended with the appropriate subskill(s). Each ability has a one-shot cost or a pulsing cost to concentration which will be the balance for how much you can do at once. With the new concentration cost model you will be able to run a set number of khri for full duration like you can now, or run more than usual for a shorter period of time.

Given this, any chance sagacity could retain it's concentration restoration, and a new khri be given the damage ward? Sagacity is one of my most used Khri.

>>If clout is being completely changed, make ambush stun function like ambush clout does now. Clout is more useful because it can be done without weapon restrictions and is non damaging. It also can be done while aiming a ranged weapon.

Please yes this.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/26/2013 11:54 AM CDT
The weapon restrictions on stun aren't so bad I don't think. I have used a mattock with it for years. I would like to see it opened up to the pommel of a sword/haft of an axe, whatever though. We've asked for that for years.

Beast Elec Drister

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
―Jayne Cobb

MM1 (EXW) -USN 1999-present
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/26/2013 12:50 PM CDT
>>Given this, any chance sagacity could retain it's concentration restoration, and a new khri be given the damage ward? Sagacity is one of my most used Khri.

Because of the ability to stack more khri at once, there needs to be a trade-off, and adding in a concentration boost skews where that balance is. Basically in the new model, if you have a set group of khri running that cost less that what you are regenerating, then you'll maintain a concentration that fluctuates around 98%-100%. This is the baseline for how much you should be able to do comfortably.

Add in a few one-shot cost abilities over time, and if you are right at the upper limit, you will start chipping away at your concentration. If you aren't right at the limit, those chips will be covered by the concentration recovery as well. So the new baseline with a number of long lasting khri, plus a selection of one-shot abilities, still leaves your concentration floating around 90%-100%.

The only time your concentration will get below these levels is when you are using more abilities than your natural recovery allows. The number of additional abilities you are running will determine how long until you tank your concentration. You can always stop a few abilities before hitting rock bottom to keep from everything dropping, but at some point you'll need to have fewer abilities than your recovery allows to make up for the time you spent using too many to get back to 100%.

The current Sagacity is really most useful for switching gears, being able to change out a set of khri that were useful for one task for another set of khri without a downtime. The new system handles that inherently, since you won't be at 5% every time you have a suite of khri running.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/26/2013 09:50 PM CDT
I like the way khris are moving, i do have a suggestion for changes though. Shadowstep is a useful khri, but the constant drain for its limited use does not make it great except for very rare cases in pvp. Shadowstep would be great if it had an initial cost, and then drained its upkeep every time you used it to swiftly engage someone, rather than time based. That would be a great middle ground for making shadowstep a more convenient addition to thief abilities.
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/27/2013 11:39 AM CDT
Just because it's not listed, speed going to still give a strength boost or will we be able to get that from another Khri? That's helpful in slipping oddly large items.

Beast Elec Drister

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
―Jayne Cobb

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/27/2013 12:01 PM CDT
>>speed going to still give a strength boost or will we be able to get that from another Khri?

Nope, the strength boost was taken out of the line-up because Thieves had access to too many stat boosts under the old system. The current boost to strength Thieves have access to is pretty minor, so it was one of the ones that went away. Speed 3.0 is a completely new type of ability that falls under the Utility skill, but performs like a Ward.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/27/2013 02:29 PM CDT
Roger that.

Beast Elec Drister

―Jayne Cobb

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/27/2013 09:08 PM CDT

>Nope, the strength boost was taken out of the line-up because Thieves had access to too many stat boosts under the old system.

One thing that's really helped me come to grips with a lot of the changes like this is to remember a key point of 3.0 guild buffs:

At most only one of each skill/attribute buff per guild.

So you can't continue to have something like focus buffing strength and prowess (that's what gives strength in the speed combo) also buffing strength.

It does call into question how these changes will be balanced.

For example currently Focus + Hasten gives +21 (6 and 15 respectively, capped) to agility. Focus will be the one and only agility attribute buff for thieves once the conversion is completed, so how much will it give?

:)
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/27/2013 09:46 PM CDT
>>For example currently Focus + Hasten gives +21 (6 and 15 respectively, capped) to agility. Focus will be the one and only agility attribute buff for thieves once the conversion is completed, so how much will it give?

The bare minimum of Focus3.0 is about the same as the minimum of Focus and Hasten. The maximum bonus won't be reached by anyone for a long time, but some folks will have a higher max than is possible now when things release.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/27/2013 11:40 PM CDT
To be clear as well... you aren't planning on giving any kind of messaging when we use a khri are you? Outing us because we are using our "innate" abilities is going to suck for those of us who have fought for years to maintain a cover.

Beast Elec Drister

―Jayne Cobb

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/27/2013 11:50 PM CDT
>you aren't planning on giving any kind of messaging when we use a khri are you? Outing us because we are using our "innate" abilities is going to suck for those of us who have fought for years to maintain a cover.

Why would they do this? Has there been any talk about them doing such a thing?

I'm just confused why this would even be brought up so as to need clarifying.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/28/2013 12:02 AM CDT
The issue would come up since that a few are disablers against opponents which the khri would have to message them that something is happening.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/28/2013 12:10 AM CDT
The only khri messaging that has been added to the khri/ambush stuff that could add to outing folks is that AOE debuffs will make distinctive messages to any players you are engaged with if they successfully cause a debuff. The AOE debuffs will not pulse any general messages to an area, nor will they message players if the SvS contest fails.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/28/2013 06:54 AM CDT
I ask because before you were talking about having us meditate or whatever, sitting down and what not. And I'm just not good with that. I know you said it was optional, but I wanted to make sure we weren't going to have some activation message or something again.

Beast Elec Drister

―Jayne Cobb

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/28/2013 11:39 AM CDT

>I ask because before you were talking about having us meditate or whatever, sitting down and what not. And I'm just not good with that.

I'm sure Elec probably doesn't need to read this but for everyone else wondering what this meditating thing is:

>Ricinus says, "First, since khri need be more effective through a longer range of skills I would like to set up a varied method for starting your khris."
>Ricinus says, "Each khri would have a base difficulty, which would contest a mixture of Inner Magic and the appropriate subskill. If you were to start the khri as you are used to, instantly, you would be doing so contested by that difficulty."
>Ricinus says, "There will be two ways to reduce that difficulty, and by reducing the difficulty increase the potency of the ability."
>Ricinus says, "The first is by sitting/kneeling/prone. This method reduces the minimum difficulty of the ability."
>Ricinus says, "The second method is by introducing a delay in the ability's activation. You would attempt to start the ability, then 10-20 seconds later it would take effect. This would not be a RT action, but there may be restrictions on what sorts of activites would break your concentration. This method reduces the maximum difficulty by some amount."
>Ricinus says, "You could use one or both methods for combined effect. If your skill already surpasses the max difficulty for a particular ability, it will not start with a delay regardless of how you attempt to start it.

A lot of people were weird-ed out by this one way or another, I personally like it and expect it to be a non-issue for pretty much everyone except very low circle thieves.
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/28/2013 01:28 PM CDT

I'm not fond of it. But I'll wait to pass judgement:)
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/29/2013 10:47 AM CDT
I would agree with Taleek, but my concern is that once it's done and implemented it won't be changed. And we'll be stuck with whatever it is; like it or not. But that's my fear, since GM R already has a metric butt ton of stuff on his plate. I don't know. I always assume the worst and hope for the best. That way if something good happens it's a nice surprise.

Beast Elec Drister

―Jayne Cobb

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/29/2013 11:04 AM CDT
>>but my concern is that once it's done and implemented it won't be changed.

Your best bet for making sure this doesn't happen is to be a part of the Test push when it happens. That's the most likely environment to make drastic changes to how things are right now, and if it's anything like the original Test period for 3.0, there will be plenty of feedback followed by changes.

>>since GM R already has a metric butt ton of stuff on his plate

Well, most of what I have on my plate is working through changes to various parts of Magic 3.0, many of them based entirely on player feedback.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/29/2013 11:10 AM CDT
Fair enough. I had already planned on trying to help in test.

Beast Elec Drister

―Jayne Cobb

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/29/2013 11:16 AM CDT
Is a stat respec still out of the question once these new changes roll out? Or has that been overturned? I meant to ask earlier.

Beast Elec Drister

―Jayne Cobb

Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/29/2013 11:32 AM CDT
>>Is a stat respec still out of the question

I wouldn't say out of the question, but so far we don't see any need to have one for these latest changes. For Thieves, since you're going to get an avalanche of TDPs on conversion, if there is some new stat you want to focus on you'll have the means to do so already.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: 3.0 stuff? 10/29/2013 11:54 AM CDT
>For Thieves, since you're going to get an avalanche of TDPs on conversion, if there is some new stat you want to focus on you'll have the means to do so already.

I'm still kind of fuzzy on how that will work for Thieves who've already trained magic skills, some even beyond the speculated amount for their current circle. Will they gain anything on top of what they already know in that conversion?

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Prev_page Previous 1