3.0? 08/08/2012 07:54 PM CDT

Hey guys, I've just returned to Dragonrealms for a several year break and have just been overloaded with info about an upcoming 3.0 change. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction of what this is going to mean for Thieves specifically? Or anyone willing to point out some highlights? Thanks!
Re: 3.0? 08/08/2012 08:02 PM CDT
Take a peek at GM announcements. I think you'll find something at www.elanthipedia.org too.

Welcome back!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: 3.0? 08/08/2012 08:49 PM CDT
>Hey guys, I've just returned to Dragonrealms for a several year break and have just been overloaded with info about an upcoming 3.0 change. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction of what this is going to mean for Thieves specifically? Or anyone willing to point out some highlights? Thanks!

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/What%27s_new

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: 3.0? 08/14/2012 09:21 AM CDT
Having just came back to DR I started to read about 3.0. The first thing I read regarding Thievies was the comment on the 3.0 Circle Requirements that "Things got easier overall". I just don't see it, nothing in 3.0 inspires me in a way that is a good thing. Was circling too easy so they decided to make everything harder? I'm not seeing how this is beneficial to us in anyway. And the Stealing/Thievery Increase is just depressing. I'm not sure I have stolen from a PC is forever and I hate doing stealing runs. But now I have to do them more often. That being said anybody know how long I got until 3.0 hits?
Re: 3.0? 08/14/2012 09:33 AM CDT
probably september, from rumors i'm hearing.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: 3.0? 08/14/2012 09:49 AM CDT
>>The first thing I read regarding Thievies was the comment on the 3.0 Circle Requirements that "Things got easier overall". I just don't see it, nothing in 3.0 inspires me in a way that is a good thing. Was circling too easy so they decided to make everything harder? I'm not seeing how this is beneficial to us in anyway. And the Stealing/Thievery Increase is just depressing. I'm not sure I have stolen from a PC is forever and I hate doing stealing runs. But now I have to do them more often.

Numbers > meaningless complaints

I stand to gain about 5-6 circles when the new reqs come out. Not sure what you're talking about here, but without numbers I'd just assume you don't really know what you're talking about. Thievery is the only real change that's harder, and while I wouldn't mind seeing it drop (swap with stealth), we are thieves.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: 3.0? 08/14/2012 10:36 AM CDT
Gunna sound a bit hollow, but I'd honestly wonder if we would do more justice to renaming the guild to something that projects more of a roguish image and less of a thiefish image. With the current state of things and how harshly stealing is looked upon when it comes to game mechanics I just dont see how you can really justify keeping it the major focus of the guild.

There's no real 'benefit' to being a thief when it comes to stealing outside of TC's museum, and I'm not even really all that sold on losing lockpick carving to the masses for that matter either. Safe rooms and festivals being stealing unfriendly are also a bit of a kick in the chest as well.

Will my circles go up with the new 'Thievery' grandfathering? Yep. Will that make training it any more interesting or beneficial outside of circling and the additional TDP's? Doubtful. Do I hope that something can be done sooner-rather-than-later to make 'Thievery' an interesting pursuit outside of the perceived griefing or 'RP' stealing that people do? Absolutely.

All that said, I really do wish we'd drop the 'Thieves Guild' banner and just go to a more loosely affiliated rogue/smuggler/whatever guild so that 'Thievery' can be a regular survival skill.

-Osus
Re: 3.0? 08/14/2012 11:07 AM CDT
>>With the current state of things and how harshly stealing is looked upon when it comes to game mechanics I just dont see how you can really justify keeping it the major focus of the guild.

The only notable thing that changed with stealing is that you're locked open when stealing from players.

I don't think that's all that harsh. Just don't steal from players if you don't want to engage in PvP.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: 3.0? 08/14/2012 11:39 AM CDT
Don't worry about circles. There are people out there who are in what.. 2k in skills? Good luck catching up. Just enjoy your own time in Elanthia. Circles are meaningless in a skill-based game anyway and even with the new requirements our guild probably still has easiest time circling (until we get our own magic at least).

I don't know how much time have you spent on your stealing runs but it's not what it used to be. You can keep training for hundreds of ranks and still sometimes get away without having to pay any fines and even if you do, then it's maybe only up to couple of plats. Of course that's only when you get caught. There's also a bin in the guild hall where you can deposit some of your stolen items to keep your reputation from plummeting and getting exiled from the guild, so you can easily do all your stealing in one province now. Sufficed to say, training stealing has got a lot easier over the years. I can't speak for it's usefulness but indeed, we are thieves after all.
Re: 3.0? 08/14/2012 01:22 PM CDT
For stealing I'd like to see all NPCs stealable. Make coins easiest to get with accurring more as skill raise. Then gems and finally items at the upper echilon.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: 3.0? 08/14/2012 05:34 PM CDT
>For stealing I'd like to see all NPCs stealable. Make coins easiest to get with accurring more as skill raise. Then gems and finally >items at the upper echelon.

considering how limited stealing/thievery is at the moment, I'd like what you just suggested. However, with how many places IG with stealing prohibited and NPC's (Guild Leaders for example) half those NPC's would still not be stealable. I still would like if that was possible though. would be somethin different at the very least than the normal stealing run through a city.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: 3.0? 03/03/2013 08:35 AM CST
>For stealing I'd like to see all NPCs stealable. Make coins easiest to get with accurring more as skill raise. Then gems and finally items at the upper echilon.

I agree 100%. expensive/heavier shop items need an exp boost I feel.

Currently at 900s in Thievery it's becoming more and more painful to train as I try and push for 200..
I know.. #firstworldTFproblems ... but stealing is so limited in the first place.
Have to do a 1 hour long stealing run from shops in 4 different cities to get thievery to a high mind state.
Making all NPCs stealable would be a huge, huge boost. At the very least shop owners, and it would be great if you could steal from town guards and whatnot with enough ranks.
Re: 3.0? 04/21/2013 04:10 AM CDT
Even just some higher priced items to steal, that would help significantly.
Currently in Crossing area for example, I've capped out half of the shops, so have to skip them completely because the hardest thing in them doesn't teach, same for most cities.
Just adding a few valuable items to each of the little shops would help a lot
Re: 3.0? 04/21/2013 04:04 PM CDT
Also get rid of that hour timer on heat for each shop you steal from, we dont have that bonus pool anymore that we could fill once locked. Now we're stuck till that timer is up if we want to learn at high ranks because of the limited items and how hard some stuff is to actually grab.

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.