Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 12:17 PM CDT
Barring any last minute adjustments, here's how pretend titles will work:

All Guild-only skills (Trading, Astrology, Music Theory, Empathy, Scouting), and all Magic skills will be substituted out and replaced with a skill that is a part of the Thief requirements - and don't worry, I didn't put Escaping in there. This does not necessarily mean the exact same skill rank will be required. In some cases, it will be more, some it will be the same, some it will be less. Perception (at a higher rate) was substituted for Scouting.

Skills that are more difficult for a Thief to train than their chosen pretend guild (for various reasons: skillsets, not as many ways to train, other types of penalties) have been adjusted or substituted. A few examples include Backstab being substituted for a Barbarian's primary weapon, Weapon skill being substituted for a Paladin's armor requirement, and Stealing being substituted for a Trader's Appraisal skill. Animal lore requirements for Ranger titles were changed to Scholarship, while Animal lore requirements for other guilds were left the same.

Just because we've done many substitutions doesn't mean that everything has been changed. A Thief pretending to be a Paladin will still need some armor ranks (although less than the Paladin), a Thief pretending to be a Trader will still need some appraisal ranks (again at a lower rate), a Thief pretending to be a Bard will need some skills in the instruments for some of the Bard titles, and a Thief pretending to be an Empath will still need some First Aid ranks for about half the Empath ones.

Titles that have more than just skill requirement (knowing a certain Roar/Spell/Beseech/Enchante/etc) in most cases have a Charisma requirement - so even if you do not train Charisma, or only have a token amount, you still will have access to MOST of your chosen guild's titles. Other titles have a stat requirement - those will be left the same for Thieves.

The overall objective is to allow you to use a pretend title at around the same point you can use them now. While we don't really have "title levels" (20-29th circle titles, 30-50th circle tiles), we're still aiming at a Thief being able to acquire a title one step behind their chosen guild. I think we've been successful at that for the titles that have not changed vastly from where they are now. (I and other GMs have been pulling alot of numbers from Thieves and other guilds logged in, so these should be reasonably close.)

(I am specifically not saying anything regarding thugging at the moment. You'll need to wait for that answer, so there's no point in asking now.)

GameMaster Risek
Thief Development
End User (verb): An act the Computer Support Staff wishes to carry out. (Known variant is "Disastrously End User" depending upon the magnitude of the stupidity.)
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 12:22 PM CDT
Damn, and I have more appraisal than stealing. Does that just make me a bad thief? grins
-Wighten
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 12:27 PM CDT
>>Damn, and I have more appraisal than stealing. Does that just make me a bad thief? grins<<

No, but you damn well better know the worth of whatever you're stealing.

GameMaster Risek
Thief Development
End User (verb): An act the Computer Support Staff wishes to carry out. (Known variant is "Disastrously End User" depending upon the magnitude of the stupidity.)
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 03:15 PM CDT
Haha I have more MD, app, and all 3 of my armors than stealing. I would say I am a worse thief than you Wig.

~Deuce~

~Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 05:05 PM CDT
>>>>Damn, and I have more appraisal than stealing. Does that just make me a bad thief? grins<<

>>No, but you damn well better know the worth of whatever you're stealing.

::cackles:: same here, I think I have 5 ranks more in stealing than I do Appraisal, but its catching up quick..

~Dalkin~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.

>>>>Agonar, apparently taking an uncharacteristic trip to the north, strolls by, winks at Marlena, giggles oddly to himself, and continues his journey onward.
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 05:37 PM CDT
There was a time when I had more teaching then stealing...

Zailen

You silently slip a rib bone into Vorclaf's gold swordbelt.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 05:47 PM CDT
Thats because you are a guild-rat LOL

~Deuce~

~Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 05:47 PM CDT
question -
what about any ranger titles that include armor skill? being as rangers learn that secondary, and thieves tertiary.... are there going to be substitutions made there?

and by the way, Thieves CAN learn animal lore.

"ranger" schvartz

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 05:56 PM CDT

<<There was a time when I had more teaching then stealing...>>

i did for a long time too.... still within 10 ranks of each other.

and i still have more teach than evasion.

former guild-rat.

---

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 05:58 PM CDT
You are never without your family members, so teaching in your case I could almost understand. But more teaching than evasion?

~Deuce~

~Elec

Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 06:02 PM CDT
like i said, i was a guild-rat for a long time. wasn't with family in there. but i didn't get out and dance with stuff.

---

Re: Thief Pretend Titles 06/11/2005 11:17 PM CDT
<<You are never without your family members, so teaching in your case I could almost understand. But more teaching than evasion?.>>

I have more teaching then evasion.... But thats because i'm lazy and don't feel like hunting half the time

~Birkan Featherhands teh drunken (and lazy) Prydaen
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 07/01/2006 12:27 PM CDT
i have more evasion then teaching and stealing put together heh
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 07/01/2006 11:30 PM CDT
i have more teaching than most empaths, not only most thieves. probably as much if not more than purloin had before he left.

someone has to play fagin and teach all da young'ns to be pickpockets. :-)

schvartz da desert pirate

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 07/03/2006 02:33 PM CDT
Well you also have more accounts then most thieves or empaths,I have a cleric friend who has over 500 teaching cause he always has his other account with em, and thats just one other account.
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 10/19/2006 01:01 PM CDT
Why can you use your pretend title as a post title?
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 10/19/2006 05:44 PM CDT
you can't

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 10/19/2006 06:56 PM CDT
errr that's what I meant.. typo my bad. why can't you?
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 10/19/2006 07:11 PM CDT
umm.. so others have a way to tell if we're a thief or not? I honestly don't know... not that there isn't plenty of other to choose from as post titles.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 10/19/2006 08:04 PM CDT
well actually when you are a low circle.. there aren't actually alot of title to choose from...
Re: Thief Pretend Titles 10/20/2006 06:24 PM CDT
level has little to do with it.. skill has more.. either way, get out there and bust your butt!!!!!

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Thief Pretend Titles... 06/18/2009 01:22 AM CDT
So, something has been irking me about our pretend guild titles.

Aside from the fact that we can't use our pretend titles as post titles, we also are unable to use the titles Ranger, Barbarian, or Paladin.

Now, it would make sense if all of the simple profession-only titles were unusable, but no.

We're able to use:
Trader
Bard
Cleric
Empath
Moon Mage
Warrior Mage

Why are Ranger, Barbarian, and Paladin restricted?
Re: Thief Pretend Titles... 06/18/2009 01:26 AM CDT
must be your skills or stats are lacking. we can use 'em.

The following titles of the Barbarian -- Pretend category are available to you:

Initiate Barbarian, Apprentice Barbarian, Journeywoman Barbarian, Barbarian, Expert Barbarian, Master Barbarian, Grand Master Barbarian, Legendary Barbarian, Beast, Brute, Savage, Valkyrie, Berserker, Marauder, Blood Dancer, War Hawk, Dragon Fighter, Battle Rager, Sanchiren, Plunderer, Trance Warrior, Wildman, Slaughterer, Kirm Sathranit, Spirit Breaker, Rune Crusher, Wand Breaker, Spell Shunt, Mage Foil, Spell Foil, Commando, Bully, Goon, War Pup, War Dog, War Horse, Bloodbeast, Stone Warrior, Fright, Bloodboiler, Deathwind, Ironwoman, Strong Arm, Browbeater, Menace, Intimidator, Horror, Ally, Motivator, Inspirer, Vindicator, Battle Grace, Battle Hawk, Combatant, Slasher, Battle Eye, War Eye, Harrier, Tenacious, Oaken, Wrecker, Aggressor, Battle Dancer, Avenger, Death's Grace, Rampager, Blood Berserker, Stone Berserker, Nightmare Berserker, Flame Berserker, Cyclone Berserker, Iron Maiden, Steel Berserker, Wolverine, Student of Kuniyo, Boar, Student of Everild, Centaur, Student of Trothfang, Furious, Deadly, Grim, Heartbreaker, Magic Bane, Mage Bane, Vicious, Fearsome, Battler, Sapper, Battle Eye, Conscript, Whirlwind, War Painter, Asphyxiator, Neck Snapper, Back Breaker, Neck Cruncher, Cast Iron, Monster
>

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Re: Thief Pretend Titles... 06/18/2009 01:33 AM CDT
Ah, interesting. That's odd though, I have access to Expert Ranger, Expert Barbarian, and Expert Paladin, but I can't choose Ranger, Barbarian, or Paladin.
Re: Thief Pretend Titles... 06/18/2009 01:49 AM CDT
charisma lacking maybe? because the "expert" thing is purely circle-based.

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Re: Thief Pretend Titles... 06/18/2009 12:27 PM CDT
>>charisma lacking maybe? because the "expert" thing is purely circle-based.

To follow up with that, my Ranger could not get his Ranger title (even though he had a Woodsman title, 30th req only) until he had enough Skinning.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Thief Pretend Titles... 07/15/2009 08:53 AM CDT
> Aside from the fact that we can't use our pretend titles as post titles

-This- I really wish they'd change to allow, and also to a lesser extent to set a fake profession like you would SET PROFESSION, well SET FAKEPROFESSION.