Question regarding being robbed 06/29/2002 10:33 PM CDT
I just wanted to ask you shadow types a quick question. It seems like most of the time I get stolen from by a thief, it works out one of two ways. Either I see them, and it turns out the thief can waste me in combat, or I don't see them, and I later found out that those thieves I could have bested or been on par with. Now I'm not complaining about being robbed, I take my licks, but what I don't understand is why I catch the people that have way more combat ability then me? Undoubtedly this means they can also make a bunch of grabs without being seen. Considering that my perception and stealing are under my combat skills, this must mean that they knew/strongly suspected they would be caught right? Or perhaps even intended to get caught? What do you people think of this? I would really prefer (of course) getting robbed by someone who could have a nice pleasant fight with me after I caught them, instead of just blowing a hole in my chest. Wouldn't you people who can blow a hole in my chest just rather make a few grabs and leave with it? Isn't that more thiefly? Or is it considered good to get caught stealing just because you know there ain't a darn thing I can do about except get myself killed over it rather quickly?

Just curious, No bitterness intended!
- Korsobar
Re: Question regarding being robbed 06/29/2002 11:04 PM CDT
Perfectly valid question. In all honestly people in your pockets do not fit into just two categories. This is my personal opinions on the different types....

Non guilded thieves, stealing to get caught for conflict.
Non guilded thieves, stealing to make some money.
Guilded thieves, who know how difficult/easy you are and are stealing for conflict.
Guilded thieves, just stealing to be a thief, learn a little and taking the risks.
Guilded thieves, just stealing to try and make some extra coin.

Now just because you catch someone, as with anything, it really doesnt give you any indication of how good their combat skills are.
Anyone who hunts rockies will know there are quite a few barbarians that are big mind traded barbs with loads of weapon skills and less than enough stealing to steal from your average novice.

So best way in my opinion is just to train your stealing, train your perception and get to the point where you can just ignore them when they fail trying to get in your pockets.

And if the person makes no attempt to leave, hide, disappear after you catch them... you can pretty much guarantee they were stealing for conflict.

-Paleth
Re: Question regarding being robbed 06/30/2002 01:45 PM CDT
It might also be good to remember that any person who knows you can kill them quickly are not going to push themselves to milk as much as they can from you. Those who know you don't stand a chance against them don't care if you catch them, they will keep stealing and get as much as they can.

-ShadowStriker
Re: Question regarding being robbed 07/01/2002 06:17 PM CDT
And don't forget... the highest thief with 500+ ranks of stealing can very easilly and will most likely be caught on a first grab from a 3rd circle newbie with 10 ranks of perception. "Snake-eye" rolls when stealing from players are ludicrous in their frequency. I fully expect to be caught 1 out of 10 grabs on the rare occassion I steal from players... and it is not because their skill even approaches mine.

Kraelyst the Hand
Re: Question regarding being robbed 07/04/2002 03:57 AM CDT
Yea, we love the snake eyes, whew! *rolls eyes*

-S