A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/26/2002 07:11 PM CDT
I have started up a new trader and have been running the contracts in Shard.

Mind you, I am not asking this question to stir up trouble or to invite trouble upon my character, but I am a bit puzzled. I am sure my trader brethren won't enjoy my asking this question, but curiousity has gotten the better of me...

I expected, running contracts in Crossing and Shard that I'd occasionally get pick pocketed by a thief. When I saw the number of traders running contracts down in Shard, I thought there'd be a literal thief swarm down there.

Nothing.

Did I miss some sort of unspoken agreement that thieves would not ply their craft on traders running caravan routes?

Why are thieves not swarming all over the trade routes in Shard like sharks in a sea full of bleeding fish?

Have I just been really lucky?

I have noticed that the trader Opulent offers a 20pk discount to thieves when selling forged weapons, and I assume that is her way of sort of paying protection money, but what about the rest of us?

Dazed, confused, and actually quite happy at not being stolen from.

Devin
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/26/2002 07:49 PM CDT
I have to agree, there's tons of traders down there, but most of the thieves down there are way too busy opening boxes to ply the trade routes. Either that or they're carving picks. So the pickpockets are kind of rare down there.

Watch out for Kobolds though.

-Laelia JS
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/26/2002 07:59 PM CDT
The only traders I mess with are the AFK types. (grin)

I can make 100x more in Adan'f in an hour than I can stealing bronze from a trader. Also, it's understood that Shard is a starting point for young traders and most (I didn't say all) of the thieves down there respect that and take it easy on them.

-Pilf
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/26/2002 08:04 PM CDT
Not to mention, Shard is an icky place. Its dirty, and mean, and nasty. And the guards are evil and know martial arts. That one that does the flying dragon super kick is bad. =/

And they shoot you with tranquilizer darts.

And anyways, the trade route there is long and the chance of seeing a trader isn't likely, unless you're lucky enough to run into the groups. Where's there's 5 or 6 caravans running together. That's yummy.

And yes, mind the kobolds.

-Korsik TNS

*Kobold Of Reknown Stamina and Impeccable Kharma*

Woof woof. Wardogs are coming to town.
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/26/2002 08:13 PM CDT
Who let the dogs out?!

>Woof woof.

Steel.
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/26/2002 08:28 PM CDT
>>Who let the dogs out?!

Nobody. Sorry.

No.

Korsik
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/26/2002 08:50 PM CDT
I used to steal down there "back in the day".

But that was when trading contracts were very yummy down there--and money was good for both guilds. Now shard is more or less "newbie grounds" for trading--even my almost 45th trader doesn't get many contracts for much more than a gold--as compared to 3 plat runs to muspar'I and such-so he doesn't trade down there at all except when he is doing interprovs, he'll pick one at scc and at fayrins, or vice versa, on the way.

For both thieves and traders, there's better coin to be made elsewhere.

-schvartz-
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/26/2002 11:31 PM CDT
<<Also, it's understood that Shard is a starting point for young traders and most (I didn't say all) of the thieves down there respect that and take it easy on them.>>

Well I for one appreciate that. I think some people don't know how horribly unprofitable contract trading is until you get a few circles under your belt. On a single Shard run circuit I probably pull in a whopping 100 coppers....and that's for about 15 minute's work. I'd hate to get cleaned out of hours worth of trading in a few grabs.

Devin
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/27/2002 12:05 AM CDT
>I have noticed that the trader Opulent offers a 20pk discount to thieves when selling forged weapons, and I assume that is her way of sort of paying protection money, but what about the rest of us?

Just was talking with him -

He offers 50pk off the great puncture sabres he has for sales which are normally 500pk (when he's in the mood), 20pk off standard 20pk weaponry wouldnt be much of a profit, nudge.

He doesnt hardly do trade routes anymore, for as you get older in trading there's many other ways to lock trading easily (and more profitable, and hell more enjoyable he says)

~Laros (rl friend of Opulent who lives in the same place)

p.s. he was sayin he was thinkin of lowerin the sabres to 400pk (with 50pk discount still for thiefs, shrug, his call, i'm waiting for the heavy puncture LE's)
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/27/2002 12:11 AM CDT
ohh..and the smelly trader jsut woke up..

the 'protection' thing (which he was unaware of) might be because he's been tryin his bloody hardest to get picks to proper prices,

(5gk per master, 1.5pk per plat)

he asked me to throw some numbers down he's sold at these prices, and begs that you all try and assist him in getting picks back into the market properly -

GM's (25) sold in the first few hrs (yesterday)

Masters 80/90+ sold (most today, 20/30 yesterday).

~Laros (gonna kick Opulent back in his own room)
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/27/2002 03:59 AM CDT
As everyone has said about the traders in shard, they dont' carry much of anything on them useful. The reason why they like to steal mostly from crossing area is because of the comodities of traders. There's no bank in Arthe and it's a lot more profitable for a thief to steal a few plat off those traders then a few copper of traders in shard.

-ShadowStriker
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/27/2002 04:12 AM CDT
I personally only go after traders if I'm on a stealing run and notice I pass a lot of caravans on the route. When that happens, I steal from each of them till they acknowledge me. If you say something when you catch me, I'll never rob you again. If you're Geoffrey, I'll rob you till yer naked. No mercy for the AFK.
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/27/2002 05:02 AM CDT
>Who let the dogs out?!

>Steel.

I will kill you.

-Ipkin, Wardog
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/27/2002 01:44 PM CDT
<<I personally only go after traders if I'm on a stealing run and notice I pass a lot of caravans on the route. When that happens, I steal from each of them till they acknowledge me. If you say something when you catch me, I'll never rob you again. If you're Geoffrey, I'll rob you till yer naked. No mercy for the AFK. >>

Are there still traders AFK on the Shard route? I thought that'd be the first place GMs test people. I know my trader does use a trade script, so when I am running the route I never have to touch the keyboard even once....but I am ALWAYS there (typing WEALTH over and over again to see if I'm missing anything....yes picture a halfling riding a camel counting his coin purse every minute or so and muttering about how lovely his shineys are!).

But I do notice the same 3-4 traders who are ALWAYS running the routes down in Shard no matter what the time of day or night.

As a trader who is at the keyboard, I actually appreciate thieves stealing from zombie traders, as they give us active ones a bad name and AFK trading gives them an unfair advantage in level (and for traders, level comptetion IS a valid issue because if my 15th level trader [not that my trader is that circle yet] is selling gems pouches alongside a 50th level trader...guess who is going to get most of the business?).

Devin
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/27/2002 06:13 PM CDT
Yes, there's still plenty of traders running afk scripts. Kapi, Schvartz, and myself went to Shard a few weeks ago. Of course we got caught a few times (ridiculous snake eyes), and most of the traders had an auto-disband trigger setup for as soon as they caught us... but it took over an hour before people started wising up. It was hilarious when we were all sitting at our spots and time passes and no traders come by, and more time passes, and more time.... then I see Geoffery running around telling everyone to quit trading... and he had to stick with at least one guy and keep telling the guy to quit because the guy wasn't at the keyboard to quit trading. We literally shut down the Ilithi trade routes for a few hours.

Kraelyst the Hand
Re: A VERY strange question coming from a trader 06/27/2002 11:34 PM CDT
>>Are there still traders AFK on the Shard route?

You bet yer ass. Some of the traders down there that seem to be on the routes 24/7 really are awake though. Slikk has responded every time I ever rob him. So I don't rob 'im anymore. :)