Poison Elixirs 12/26/2012 08:11 PM CST
So.. I noticed recently that a certain trader in Haven is openly selling Moruryn Oil on one of her tables. I'm wondering if the poison maker and the trader are being a bit too.. open? Im not too worried as the oil in question apps quite a bit lower than the results of my own highly researched and tweaked recipe.. but are we really supposed to be selling this stuff out in the open?
Re: Poison Elixirs 12/26/2012 10:12 PM CST
I think when questions like this come up, it's generally put down as a valid RP choice with trader tables and thieves or thief stuff. Given how...meh...poison in DR2 is, I'd say more power to them if they can even sell the stuff. I haven't ever heard a thief actually use the stuff.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Poison Elixirs 12/26/2012 10:28 PM CST
With the up coming changes to all crafting systems, there really is no reason to make a fuss about it. It has never been a thief only item to begin with, just a tightly kept secret on its manufacture.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Poison Elixirs 12/27/2012 08:13 AM CST
in 3.0 thieves may not even be the best in poisoning - necros have 2 free techs in poison, whereas thieves only have 1.

This we know OOC. However, in-game, in prime, this is still SUPPOSED to be an in-game secret. So perhaps a report to Saishla might be in order <as opposed to a report to Kalag>. Maybe the thugs & the grey lady need to show said trader some special appreciation..., and presumably also to whoever the traders source is, if said trader will be willing to squeal... or can be "enticed" to... :-)

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Poison Elixirs 12/27/2012 03:59 PM CST
Why would poison be any different than lockpicks? Yes it's a guild secret HOW to make them but they should be sold freely.
Re: Poison Elixirs 12/27/2012 05:00 PM CST

any guild can walk into a locksmiths and buy a stout lockpick. you can't go into a shop and buy poison. :-)

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Poison Elixirs 01/02/2013 10:09 AM CST
Since I'm the trader selling it I thought I'd chime in as well. First off it's a RP choice to have it on the table - I know it's dangerous/wrong and welcome any/all RP associated with it.

Secondly it's also a precursor to poison being opened to everyone. I want to establish myself as a poison dealer.

Lastly I'll just address this:

>>Im not too worried as the oil in question apps quite a bit lower than the results of my own highly researched and tweaked recipe

It brought down a paladin in test with 60 stamina in 4 pulses, delivered via dart with a grazing/light hit (can't remember). It ended up destroying a vital area. A few years ago appraisal value was unmarried to poison strength (when the switch to tinctures was made I believe). If you want to kill someone you can barely hit with a ranged weapon, poison is still a great way to do it.
Re: Poison Elixirs 01/02/2013 02:17 PM CST
<<It brought down a paladin in test with 60 stamina in 4 pulses>>

I've used poison in test and it didn't do any damage to players but killed critters in one pulse. Not sure when you did your tests, but mine was about a month or so ago.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible Not sure when you used it but for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Poison Elixirs 01/02/2013 04:16 PM CST
I did a couple tests with two paladins in test on the night it opened, entirely possible things have changed. Also it may depend what type of poison you were using. I'd be happy to log into test and throw some poison around sometime though if you want to set something up.

It could even be like a final "reveal all your poison making secrets in test before it gets completely rewritten and useless" event.
Re: Poison Elixirs 02/17/2013 06:43 PM CST
Is creating poisons still possible in 3.0 prime? I've tried several times and it seems that things might be turned off.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Poison Elixirs 02/18/2013 01:25 PM CST
I haven't tried to make any myself, but my guess is yes it is turned off, or otherwise broken somehow.
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 04:29 PM CST
I've made some fairly effective batches myself. I think it's possible.

With the new system of crafting however, I'm wondering if persuing this may be pointless, as thieves and necros will undoubtedly be the best at this. However, I would like to put in a pitch to maybe develop some kind of system where us as other guild can gain a better ability to apply than what is currently available. Would this be possible?

I have no problems with thieves wanting to maintain highest levels of proficiency or effectiveness, as it is a domain of theirs. But it is extremely frustrating to be an experienced hunter, and watch myself fumble the application as though I were hasty and blind. Making batches only to dump half of it on the ground and burn through the rest begins to feel like a waste of time.

As a ranger, for our guild, perhaps some fair level of proficiency could be attained with skill? I dont feel like this would be a completely foreign concept for big game hunters. So I feels the request holds a little validity.

~van
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 04:58 PM CST
>>With the new system of crafting however, I'm wondering if persuing this may be pointless, as thieves and necros will undoubtedly be the best at this.

That's actually kind of the opposite of crafting 3.0. Crafting poison will be determined by the alchemy skill. Necros get two bonus techs, thieves one. That's really not that huge of a difference in a crafting system if you're really choosing to focus on it (such as choosing it as a career or hobby), but it is an advantage starting out. You don't even get the bonus techs until you have trained the skill a little. A necro or thief who chooses not to spend much time training alchemy is not going to make anything exceptional compared to someone who does just because they're in that guild. And if we're comparing necros, thieves, and rangers, you're all lore tertiary all will train alchemy at an equal speed.

TL;DR - If you want to be good at making poisons as a ranger, the current plan sounds like that's possible.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 05:14 PM CST
>>as thieves and necros will undoubtedly be the best at this.

This mentality is going away with crafting 3.0 - they will have some "advantages" in the form of extra slots (not sure that is the correct term), but they won't be the "best" without training it.

>>Making batches only to dump half of it on the ground and burn through the rest begins to feel like a waste of time.

I know that before 3.0 (or some other changes) I was able to make batches (as a Ranger, I know: boo!) And I could apply it with about 80-90% accuracy, failing now and then and spilling it, and rarely poisoning myself. This was all with about 175-200 Mech. Now with 225 mech, I fail 100% of the time applying it, and making it has become a bit of a chore.

I'm pretty sure that it's not important enough to look at right now, with alchemy looming, but I know I've dumped a few hundred doses on the ground and have had 0 success, while several thieves out there have continued success.

I think maybe the mech requirements went screwy or something or its looking for "alchemy" now, and I don't have any... Not sure, but I guess it's wait and see time.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 05:14 PM CST
>And if we're comparing necros, thieves, and rangers, you're all lore tertiary all will train alchemy at an equal speed.

One small correction. Only rangers are lore tertiary of the three guilds mentioned there.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 06:17 PM CST
>>And if we're comparing necros, thieves, and rangers, you're all lore tertiary all will train alchemy at an equal speed.

>One small correction. Only rangers are lore tertiary of the three guilds mentioned there.

I should drink more dew before posting. Thanks.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 06:24 PM CST
>And if we're comparing necros, thieves, and rangers, you're all lore tertiary all will train alchemy at an equal speed.

Danoryiel is right. Only rangers are lore tert. Making any crafting already a chore for us. On top of this we have no provided techs in this area without choosing it as a career of some sort. This was what my mentality was considering when I said that the others would be the best. That is of course if not a single necro or thief chooses to craft them at all. There will always be an advantage. How considerable of one is it? Not sure. That is what I am trying to contemplate.

~van
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 06:57 PM CST
>This was what my mentality was considering when I said that the others would be the best. That is of course if not a single necro or thief chooses to craft them at all.

All it means is that you'll have to work harder to be "good" or "the best" at it. That's all. The Rangers guild doesn't have the affinity towards poisons in the current crafting system set up. It doesn't mean a Ranger couldn't be the best at making poisons though, they'd just have to work harder to overcome bonus techs that Necros and Thieves have with it.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 07:19 PM CST
>I think maybe the mech requirements went screwy or something or its looking for "alchemy" now, and I don't have any... Not sure, but I guess it's wait and see time.

Ah, you might be right. Im having about as much difficulty as you applying lately. But as you mentioned, I don't seem to recall it being this bad before. 90% sounds about right. While recent attempts have been roughly around 50. Alchemy is probably slow working its way into the equation, and since its low, its failing. Im obviously not positive about this, but it sounds like a feasible theory.

>This mentality is going away with crafting 3.0 - they will have some "advantages" in the form of extra slots (not sure that is the correct term), but they won't be the "best" without training it.

I understand what people are saying. But I think people are also undermining the system a bit. There will always be a "best", it just won't be hardwired on who that is. Im not complaining about how things work, more trying to figure out what I want to do with my path.

Crafting 3.0 will give considerable advantages to lore prime guild, even with the techs, especially outside of guild bonuses in careers. I think techs may help at lower to mid level. But at higher end, when those ranks become very hard to crank out, skillsets will play an omni present, consistent advantage. More so when you start to factor in how often one trains due to it being a hobby vs. a circle req. That's just an objective look at it.

Anyways, I'm a little off topic, sorry. Mostly I was just concerned with the drastic fail rate of application, and wondering if this was going to be the way things stayed. Hopefully not with some alchemy skill. Although, I would think something more mech or dex based would be a better suit, for applying.

~van
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 07:33 PM CST
>All it means is that you'll have to work harder to be "good" or "the best" at it. That's all. The Rangers guild doesn't have the affinity towards poisons in the current crafting system set up. It doesn't mean a Ranger couldn't be the best at making poisons though, they'd just have to work harder to overcome bonus techs that Necros and Thieves have with it.

First, I want to make it clear that im not complaining. Im aware of how the system works. But theory and practicality aren't always reflections of each other. How many clerics do you know who can out-skin a ranger? Its possible...but it's rare. Many circumstances affect this. I was merely reflecting on if the pursuit was worth the uphill climb. But it was really the constant failing of applying that caused me to post on the first place. It seemed like something that should be at least mitigated somehow.

~van
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 07:53 PM CST
Actually, I could be totally mistaken, I admit. It's been a while since I've been around, so I am still figuring things out myself. With the exclusion of wall ranks, things are much more leveled out in trainability. I still have the old mentality burned into my mind of learning lore tertiary when lore had horrid walls every other rank for me. Now that they are gone, I have noticed that learning is albeit slower, but moving along. So yes, you guys are probably correct about the feasibility of all this.

~van
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 08:26 PM CST
>Crafting 3.0 will give considerable advantages to lore prime guild, even with the techs, especially outside of guild bonuses in careers. I think techs may help at lower to mid level. But at higher end, when those ranks become very hard to crank out, skillsets will play an omni present, consistent advantage. More so when you start to factor in how often one trains due to it being a hobby vs. a circle req. That's just an objective look at it.

While I see what you are saying, I feel the need to point out that some of the best weapon/armor makers in game are Barbs, and Paladins. This is in 3.0. It's not strictly because they have magic guild bonuses, it's because these guys rock, and put decades of time into it. So while in theory or on paper, you'd be right, in practice, oddly, it's lore terts who have become leaders.

Pants.
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 09:08 PM CST
>While I see what you are saying, I feel the need to point out that some of the best weapon/armor makers in game are Barbs, and Paladins. This is in 3.0. It's not strictly because they have magic guild bonuses, it's because these guys rock, and put decades of time into it. So while in theory or on paper, you'd be right, in practice, oddly, it's lore terts who have become leaders.

I can agree, definitely. It's just....daunting, I suppose.

One thing I would like to point out, however. Is that with both Barbarians and Paladins, both have 3 techs to both weapon and armor smithing, respectively. This helps. But if a barbarian wanted to pursue, say, being a blacksmith, it would be a slightly different case.

Most of this all will definitely come down to desire and ambition. I am just also trying to keep in mind the reality of going with or against the flow. Which I feel is going to play a considerable role as well.

~van
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/07/2013 09:45 PM CST
>> But if a barbarian wanted to pursue, say, being a blacksmith, it would be a slightly different case.

Not really. You could easily cap out a discipline or pick the best techs by choosing it as a hobby/career. And even then if you high have enough skill you could just skip techniques and or hobby/career.

And you can literally skip everything if you don't plan on a making a Kertig Sterak Axe.

>> One thing I would like to point out, however. Is that with both Barbarians and Paladins, both have 3 techs to both weapon and armor smithing, respectively. This helps.

Well, I think one of the lore tert smiths just hit 1000 forging... 1 technique probably doesn't matter either way.
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/08/2013 12:26 AM CST
>>One thing I would like to point out, however. Is that with both Barbarians and Paladins, both have 3 techs to both weapon and armor smithing, respectively. This helps. But if a barbarian wanted to pursue, say, being a blacksmith, it would be a slightly different case.

3 bonus techs helps, but it's not much in the grand scheme. It will be much more important that the people currently sitting on their 500+ mech ranks convert that all to alchemy, really.
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/08/2013 12:32 AM CST
>It will be much more important that the people currently sitting on their 500+ mech ranks convert that all to alchemy, really

Pretty much this.

At least one person holding onto their mech is going to convert all their mech to Alchemy whenever it gets released, and that'll be a huge difference right off the bat.

Blackguard Danoryiel

Re: Poison Elixirs 03/08/2013 05:36 AM CST
Is mech lore going away completely, or will it have another use?

~Van
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/08/2013 06:22 AM CST
>Is mech lore going away completely, or will it have another use?

You seem to be a bit behind the times, but yes, Mech Lore will eventually go away and not be trainable. You will at some point have to put your Mech into one of the 5 crafting skills using the CONVERT command. When you convert your Mech and into which skill will be entirely up to you, it won't be forced on you.

Blackguard Danoryiel

Re: Poison Elixirs 03/08/2013 02:30 PM CST
>You seem to be a bit behind the times

I mentioned earlier that I haven't been around in a while, so yes. However, I knew that mech lore was splitting into the crafts, and the overall plan. This was already being talked about before I left, and still seems to be working on coming into fruition. I was talking about the skill in general. I've heard different stories of its role turning into something else, and some saying it was just going to disappear.

I only ask because it's role as a very general skill kind of makes sense, as an overall knowledge of doing general things. I just can't see every single action falling into one of the crafts at all times. Knowledge of tailoring, doesn't exactly make you good AT tailoring. Just as knowing about music theory doesn't make you good at performing with an instrument. Plus there seems like a lot of other little odds and ends, miscellaneous skills out there. Like braiding grass? What's this, tailoring now? Maybe artistry? Or do these become automatic successes with no skill involved? Or will other checks be set into place?

~Van
Re: Poison Elixirs 03/08/2013 02:45 PM CST
As soon as there is a viable way to train each of the five crafting skills, which as of now has been defined as at least one discipline of the skill (Tailoring for the Outfitting skill, Poisons for the Alchemy skill, Carving for the Engineering skill etc.) then learning mech lore through other tasks, such as braiding grass, origami, crushing items in mortars, pyramids, will no longer work off of the mech lore skill. Some of those tasks will probably utilize a craft appropriate skill (braiding and origami might train the Outfitting skill or crushing things in a mortar might train Alchemy for instance). Other tasks might go away entirely in some cases.

At that point you will no longer be able to learn Mech Lore (unless teaching it will still be allowed, not sure on that tbh) and whatever Mech you have will sit there until you decide to convert it to a crafting skill(s) of your choice.

Blackguard Danoryiel

Re: Poison Elixirs 03/08/2013 04:40 PM CST
I see. Thanks for the info.

~Van