Guilty 07/08/2010 03:57 PM CDT
I've been gone for a while and was wondering if anything had changed regarding shoplifting fines? I've been back a couple days and went on a stealing run. Got caught in both the Crossing and Leth, which was a little unusual in itself. But the fines for getting caught were way, way higher than they used to be. Like 30 or 40 or more times higher than before. No warrants while I was gone and rep was good before I did my run today.

After a weighty pause, the judge speaks, "Kaxis, you have been found guilty of thievery in the Principality of Zoluren. It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 4311 coppers.

After a weighty pause, the judge speaks, "Kaxis, you have been found guilty of thievery in the City of Leth Deriel. It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 4239 coppers.

Otherwise I use the same script and do the same procedure I've been doing for a long time. I can't really think of a change in pattern on my end. Is there anything I'm missing regarding why the fines were suddenly so high?

http://www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

A vile plague wraith whispers to you, "Your eyesss are ssshrouded to the sssecrets that lay within your grasssp. Sssubmit and allow me to pull back the concssealing veil that hidesss the truth."

You whisper to a vile plague wraith, "No talking."

The plague wraith ignores you.

You roll your eyes.
Re: Guilty 07/08/2010 04:09 PM CDT
Fines are based on what you were caught stealing then modified by your charisma and your current reputation. With all these factors, it's possible that fines could swing up or down a fair deal.

So the question then is, were you caught on expensive items and did you have below average Reputation at the time?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Guilty 07/08/2010 04:10 PM CDT
p sure fine is based on the cost of the item. Maybe you're stealing a light, expensive item. Find some heavy cheap crap to steal instead.
Re: Guilty 07/08/2010 04:56 PM CDT
In the Crossing I got caught attempting a caiman chart, which is a challenge for me and fairly expensive. So that is likely the trouble there.

In Leth I got caught attempting the 100 sheet origami envelope, which is also sort of expensive. I really thought I'd gotten caught on that before without the fines being so high though, but it's been so long I guess I must not have. I switched to W7 in my absence and dumped all my old logs at the same time so can't check those either.

Anyway, what you guys are saying must be the answer. Thanks for the help.

A vile plague wraith whispers to you, "Your eyesss are ssshrouded to the sssecrets that lay within your grasssp. Sssubmit and allow me to pull back the concssealing veil that hidesss the truth."

You roll your eyes.
Re: Guilty 07/08/2010 07:30 PM CDT
Your fine is also increased if you plead innocent and are still found guilty

Wanderer Larze
Guardian Rhamist

Your mind hears Aethyrr thinking, "fyrel I can't lick my hips"
Re: Guilty 07/08/2010 07:38 PM CDT
Also interesting, thanks for that info.

It just caught me off guard because most of my fines are 100 or 200 at the most as I recall. Lots of them are less than 100. I'd never seen anything like it, so it definitely caught my attention.

You roll your eyes.