A couple stealing questions 07/01/2009 11:45 AM CDT
I believe I've read somewhere that stealing will reset the hiding timer, making stalking/hiding ranks easier to get during my stealing runs...

Now i'm not exactly sure how the timer for hiding works and was curious as to exactly how it did... I primarily was wondering if stealing from the NPCs that have coin in the cities reset the timer as well? is it worth it for me to unhide and hide between each of the steals from NPCs?

Its of note that my stealing runs are NOT my primary means of learning Hiding, but, because of how I train, that is I work on all the non combat skills to get the ranks I need for several circles before moving on to combat for a while, I wouldn't mind maxing out my stalking/hiding learning while I'm not hunting and doing hourly stealing runs.

A few other questions - I presently have little trouble filling my secondary pool from Stealing Leth to crossing to haven, although I've been filling it towards the end of my haven runs lately and was curious as to how much climbing I need to shoot for to make Shard reasonably added to my run without waiting for the gondola (I'd rather add another city at this point instead of reconfiguring all the items I'm stealing)... I think I heard 500+ to make it through the undergondola, but is there an easier way to make it that causes an injury? And if so wouldn't I need to clean that injury up before stealing?

Also, if someone has the time to tell me if I'm missing any shops in my crossing run (outside of adding Arthe and Clans)... I currently steal:

Jeweler
Clothier
General
Cleric
Locksmith (hasn't taught for a long while)
Music (Not high enough to steal the back room)
Armory
Weapon
Florist
Cobbler (Hip boots don't teach anymore and I don't think anything else will)
Herbalist (Plovik stopped teaching)
All 3 empath rooms
Alchemist
Tanner
Artificer

thanks in advance, and sorry for the long, rambling post.
Re: A couple stealing questions 07/01/2009 05:41 PM CDT
there's that shop in the temple grounds <cottage> but you have to hold a favor orb to get thru the gate.

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: A couple stealing questions 07/01/2009 08:39 PM CDT
Also: bathhouse, card wagon, habadashery, a slew of premie shops if you are premie.

Did you try the ithor potion from herbalist? I thought that was my last herb to cap. You should check elanthipedia.com's stealing list for a good idea of shops in the areas as well.

Climbing the branch to shard is tough. On the way north from Shard you can do a climb which takes less (somewhere in 200s maybe?) but does give you a head injury. If you're going to push a climb that is difficult but close, don't forget to use a climbing rope.

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: A couple stealing questions 07/02/2009 12:54 AM CDT
<<I believe I've read somewhere that stealing will reset the hiding timer, making stalking/hiding ranks easier to get during my stealing runs...>>

No, such thing as a hiding timer.

Hiding on NPCs/critters was moved to a counter system a very long time ago

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: A couple stealing questions 07/02/2009 10:12 AM CDT
Okay, the hiding timer thing must be me working from very old logic... I see that popping up more and more lately it seems...

I guess I'll hafta do the task of updating my steals a bit instead of working Shard into my runs since I am still a couple hundred ranks away from travelling to shard through the undergondola safely... I may just add theren in instead although I'm always hesitant that I'm gonna get whacked by a cat/orc on my way back through the shortcut.

Thanks for the tips on the shops, adding them to my routine may very well make stealing that much easier for 20 or 30 ranks.

And thanks for the speedy response everyone.
Re: A couple stealing questions 07/02/2009 10:16 AM CDT
And wow, thanks for the tip on the stealing list, I just checked it out and its gonna make my life much easier.