Slip: Help 07/03/2019 05:34 AM CDT
For a while now I have experienced an issue with our slip ability.
When someone has empty hands and I type the syntax to slip them something I will receive a message about their number of items. Is there anyway to change/work on this issue? The only reason why I am asking is because some of the best roleplay I have ever experienced came from this verb i.e. Slipping a young thief a sparkling new weapon to help them or a rose to someone who needs their day to be extra special

It would be great to have this ability have a little more function, again. After all an empty hand is an empty hand. With how slip functions now, based off items on the other person, it's a almost a rare ability to use which is sad.

Thank you so much for your time and effort,

~nid
Re: Slip: Help 07/03/2019 06:33 AM CDT
Are you saying that there is a bug that is incorrectly counting their items and saying they are near the item limit every time their hands are empty?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Slip: Help 07/03/2019 07:06 AM CDT
I am not sure if it is a specific bug or more of a conflict with the item limit coding affecting the ability.

I> slip xxxx rose hand

xxxx is carrying far too many items already.

^And to further investigate it- I think I tried around 20-25 characters and could only slip to one. Most of which were friends. I didn't collect inventory counts on everyone but I guess I could have and can later if needed. But they all had empty hands.
Re: Slip: Help 07/03/2019 09:12 AM CDT
Item count is not to be considered trivial. If they're near the item count, the game is rightfully preventing you from potentially corrupting the character. Desire for hijinx < uncorrupted character.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Slip: Help 07/03/2019 09:20 AM CDT
While I can understand the logic of slipping multiple items into a bag and the possibility of corrupting a player.... I don't think one item into a hand would pose any problems here.

You would only be limited to slipping 2 items if both hands are empty.

I get the lack of congruency with not being able to slip something into a hand that Nideaya is pointing out.

Rifkinn
Re: Slip: Help 07/03/2019 09:36 AM CDT
As I recall it, the item check is rather conservative, and is not 100% accurate in what it can determine. I think it's fair to err on the side of caution when character corruption is on the table.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Slip: Help 07/03/2019 12:07 PM CDT
As someone who plays several F2P players, 100 item count is restrictive enough that whenever a thief slips me a piece of junk it is a real pain. I don't carry any fluff items on me, but due to crafting tools I generally sit at around 90 items without boxes, and can verge on heading to the junk room with them on me. With concerted effort I can bring that number down to about 80-85 or so, but it requires a lot of diligence. I'm very gladdened to know there is a restriction on thieves being able to add to that count. Someone randomly slipped me a rose several weeks ago before enchanting came out when I was around 75-80 items and I stopped hanging out in public areas for a week because of it.
Re: Slip: Help 07/03/2019 06:00 PM CDT
It may horrify you to know that some people who can slip DO slip just to cause others grief.

Has anyone ever had something slipped to them that they liked/wanted? I haven't heard about it, if so, but my perspective is possibly skewed because of where I "live".

We do try to prevent junkyard griefing, anyway.

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Slip: Help 07/04/2019 04:32 AM CDT
I appreciate so much all the comments and everyone bringing to the table their views on the ability.

But I do feel the prevention of junkyard griefing is doable by closing containers and not having the stow <right/left> set.
I think the snake pit at HE causes more junkyard griefing (lol) but wait.... the loot is just soo good. Not to mention spam in the death window....

For a guild to have a basically muted ability seems a little extreme and unthiefy - there was so much potential RP. And there are policies set which can cause the suspension of the ability in general.
Max slips to hands --- are 2 (right and left) to much slipping to containers sends a message of a shift in weight.

So... there's really not much of threat if you're atk.

Over the years, I've been slipped roses, a few armor pieces, weapons, gems, jewelry, notes, cards - etc. In one case, I was slipped evidence in a crime - which was pretty funny, shocking but funny.

As for the corruption of the f2p players I feel for them and their fleet of 10 or 20 characters per person … I think there is a bit more of abuse in having that many free characters … than a young thief, fool enough to risk outing themselves by putting grass in your hand …

Anyway, have a great day,

And thanks for the feedback.

And lets get it fixed back to normal! purdy please!!!
Re: Slip: Help 07/04/2019 10:58 AM CDT
Try telling that to folks like me who while standing at the entrance to the portal/doing the tree quest on the Xing strand who walked away with over 20 mandolins slipped into my characters cloak, haversack, pack, etc. Cloaks with pockets can NOT be closed, most haversack are the same.

Call that not griefing but it is. And while should I not set my stows? I shouldnt be required to not set something just because some idiot thinks their being funny by slipping folks they dont even know junk items?

In a room with high scroll its impossible to know who slipped my character items, if I can even see them do it, so how can I get them for policy harassment as you state I can??

Not sure what you are referring to junkyard griefing at the HE snake pit, I've sat characters there to pick up trashed items. Never saw any socalled griefing, but maybe our definitions of griefing vary.

A way to stop or slow down the griefing might be to time limit how many slips any guild (doesnt Necros have a version of slip too?) can do it. I'm no DR programmer/designer so it might not work, but if possible say limit it to a slip every 3 minutes? Or 5 minutes?
Re: Slip: Help 07/04/2019 12:21 PM CDT
It sounds like it was an inconvenience. It also sounds like it was the 1 mandolin offender vs a whole guild :(

I would just love to have the ability be more global like it was for years. If the goal is really to prevent corruption than I think a timer is fine if that's the way it has to be. It's better than whole ability basically being muted. I would happily take being able to slip hands normally and a timer for packs.

As for someone doing that to others during an event/quest, that's just a poor judgement call. It can get really get the offender in so much more trouble than it's worth.
I can definitely understand the view point on its connection to griefing and I am truly sorry if it effects people in such an inconveniencing emotional way.
I've always viewed it pretty harmless. When I've played on my characters and had the same experience it made me watch the area more - and catch the little rat. lol.

thanks again for your feedback,
Re: Slip: Help 07/04/2019 02:28 PM CDT
It was a bit more than an inconvenience but thats okay, we'll agree to disagree on that point :)

ANd it appeared to be more than 1 person doing it but I cant confirm that as with the scroll I couldnt catch them/him/her.

I agree its not fun for an ability that has been there for quite a few years to be all of a sudden nerfed...but... we all know how 1 rotten apple ruins the barrel? One person being the fool gets enough folks complaining & yeah, the GMs figure easiest way is to nerfed it. (I'm guessing here going on what I've seen over the years).

Never said it was emotional, it was a PITB when 1 of my characters went from heavy burden to overburdened & couldnt move all of a sudden as they had been slipped more than 10-12 mandolins into various "pockets". I could close some but not all.

And while you may only have slipped folks that you knew from 1-3 items, some seemed to have fun abusing slip IMHO. And not just at the HE event.

If folks would just stop at say 3 items it wouldnt be bad, beyond that it becomes irritating/griefing. :-/
Re: Slip: Help 07/04/2019 03:52 PM CDT
FWIW, slip wasn't nerfed for the sake of nerfing slip, since that's where this discussion's assumption seems to be heading. Slip was restricted to respect inventory counts at the same time that multiple verbs were updated to respect inventory counts around when F2P was released. There's nothing unique about slip that should circumvent that. You can still slip to people who are below the inventory threshold just fine. I was slipped something while carrying around ~75 items out of a max 100, so there's a decently large window on it. I've since bumped up to around 90 items, so I doubt I could be slipped to anymore. It's just that with so many free accounts running around with very limited inventories, you're probably bumping into those with near full inventories more often than not. 100 items is not a lot of room to begin with.