Some Thoughts on Tunnels 05/23/2016 07:35 AM CDT
I just found out I kind of out myself when I use a tunnel entrance in front of someone. Because, clearly, I arrive, and then I'm not there. It doesn't message them that I've gone. Good! It shouldn't. But then they must think I went into hiding? If its someone I wasn't able to hide on in another situation, that could get tricky to explain. When people arrive in my room and don't leave and aren't there anymore, I know I get paranoid and jittery...

While I will now be making more of an effort to be invisible when I enter a tunnel, I was thinking, what if there was a way to make it better? What if when you use a tunnel, the game picks one of the other exits in the room and announces you leaving in another direction? A bit of awesome misdirection to make us less suspicious!

I also noticed the new tunnel we dug seems to go the wrong way. Entering from the east side of town, you head east to end up at the west side... Clearly magnets were snuck into our feet and this tunnel has a magnetic ceiling so we're actually walking upside down! You know what this means? Thieves are going to get hookshots next!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Re: Some Thoughts on Tunnels 05/23/2016 02:23 PM CDT

Now that I think of it, there might be another 'tell' when using thief tunnels that might be specific to stormfront. When a thief is in the room (or enters/exits the tunnel maybe) the tunnel suddenly appears in SF's room box. I haven't tested it, but I really should.
Re: Some Thoughts on Tunnels 05/23/2016 02:42 PM CDT
>>Now that I think of it, there might be another 'tell' when using thief tunnels that might be specific to stormfront. When a thief is in the room (or enters/exits the tunnel maybe) the tunnel suddenly appears in SF's room box. I haven't tested it, but I really should.

I know in Genie they sometimes just show up in the Room window no matter what. It's similar to how rooms that normally require a light are still fully visible in the Room window.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Some Thoughts on Tunnels 05/23/2016 05:26 PM CDT
>Now that I think of it, there might be another 'tell' when using thief tunnels that might be specific to stormfront. When a thief is in the room (or enters/exits the tunnel maybe) the tunnel suddenly appears in SF's room box. I haven't tested it, but I really should.

It's not related to someone using it. It's related to certain commands and/or simple time in the room. My hangout spot was TGNE for a long time, and it pops up on every character I have, without any discernible pattern.
Re: Some Thoughts on Tunnels 05/24/2016 03:35 AM CDT
> without any discernible pattern.

Maybe because thieves are invis and using it. I tested that out (years ago, though) and a thief with Silence up caused the TGNE passage to pop up in the room. So it's hard to account for if you're trying to track "why passages show up" as a player.
Re: Some Thoughts on Tunnels 05/24/2016 02:44 PM CDT
>Maybe because thieves are invis and using it.

Given that there are only 50-70 thieves on at a time, across the span of a few years, it's not super likely.

That's probably A trigger, but doing something that interacts with rooms seemed to trigger it as well. Like collect/kick. But I also wasn't going to perform a full regression on it :)