The lack of moving thievery 08/06/2015 12:07 AM CDT
My character has 451 in thievery. One quick way to keep thievery increasing is to do a city wide stealing spree in Crossing and then hopefully get a class to teach at the Ranger guild so as to keep the learning slowly decreasing from a 7. I stopped that, even though it wasn't really that great, since you can now get arrested for teaching thievery just outside the Ranger guild doors. I also do stealing sprees in Riverhaven and Crossing but my character's learning in thievery will never break a 12. I'm trying to bring attention on how impossible it is to lock thievery and how frustrating and slow it is to bring up thievery in ranks. Thanks you.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/06/2015 09:45 AM CDT
Maybe go back through the shops and see if there are harder items to steal? I can lock Thievery with a run through Riverhaven, Crossing, Leth, Dirge and surrounding clans with 587 Thievery.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/06/2015 05:01 PM CDT
How many things are you stealing in each shop? And, as suggested, are there better things for you to steal? Crossing/Arthe/Leth alone should definitely get you way higher than 12/34. And Stone Clan. And Haven. Steal at least 4 things hard enough (or more; check with mark after a few successes to see how many more you can steal) and with all those shops you should be fine. If it takes you a long time to move around--that is, if you're typing every theft and movement by hand instead of using a huge script--then drain will prevent you from locking the skill, but you're still learning the skill.

...that said, reiteration of how much of a pain thievery is right now, +1. I go for classes.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/06/2015 07:08 PM CDT
>>reiteration of how much of a pain thievery is right now, +1. I go for classes.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/10/2015 09:42 AM CDT

It's pretty tough in Crossing with medium/high ranks. I'd either move to Shard or Muspar'i.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/10/2015 12:16 PM CDT

>> It's pretty tough in Crossing with medium/high ranks. I'd either move to Shard or Muspar'i.

To be fair, a thief with that level of stealing should be able to make a shard trip in 30 seconds? At the very least a Thief can hit crossing + surrounds, then Riverhaven. A lot of people don't use clans either, but I would think with thief mark this would be a lot easier then non-thieves.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/11/2015 10:35 AM CDT

>>To be fair, a thief with that level of stealing should be able to make a shard trip in 30 seconds? At the very least a Thief can hit crossing + surrounds, then Riverhaven. A lot of people don't use clans either, but I would think with thief mark this would be a lot easier then non-thieves.

I dunno - my athletics lag my stealing fairly substantially and I don't think I'm alone in that. You're absolutely right that with Haven + small cities + clans + crossing you can do a run that locks you, even at high ranks, but that script will probably take 45+ minutes to run all the way through, and then you have to deal with the possibility of being wanted/arrested in multiple jurisdictions. To train thievery in a fashion I consider reasonable (i.e. sub 20 minute run that mindlocks) I'd reiterate my advice about other cities.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/11/2015 02:56 PM CDT
Unlike thievery, athletics is actually useful and very simple to train. Crossing alone can get you hundreds and hundreds of ranks, locking quite quickly up to... I feel like it slowed down too much around 450? Still teaches at 700-something, just very very slowly now. With a full bonus, a rope, and khri flight, I was going through the undergondola starting at 419 athletics (I made notes on this part). 465 athletics and bonus/flight, no rope, no mistakes.

My athletics has always been far past my thievery; it's my third-highest skill because it's both easy and helpful. There are thieves who neglect athletics, of course. I pretend to be a ranger so it suits me to focus on athletics. People all train differently. But it does mean you are neglecting athletics.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/11/2015 03:29 PM CDT
>People all train differently. But it does mean you are neglecting athletics.

If you don't train how I say you're doing it wrong?
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/11/2015 03:44 PM CDT
Saying you've neglected a skill in favor of other skills is a neutral statement about the level of those skills relative to one another. Try not to take things so personally.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/11/2015 06:57 PM CDT
>Saying you've neglected a skill in favor of other skills is a neutral statement about the level of those skills relative to one another. Try not to take things so personally.

Posting a simple blanket reply to a deliberately over-stated position and questioning its validity doesn't make something 'personal'.

He literally said 'train the way I state or you are wrong'. I pointed it out. My character, and his training regime, isn't really relevant here, because I haven't 'neglected' athletics. I've trained it exactly as much as I value it, no more or less.

His post is rather akin to saying 'if you don't train all 400 weapons, 20 armors, and 43 survivals you are doing it wrong because they're super easy with this script I wrote during lunch'. It's an old argument.
Re: The lack of moving thievery *** NUDGE *** 08/11/2015 07:41 PM CDT
This is not the conflicts folder. Any further posts not on topic will be removed.

Aneka
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Aneka@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
::Posts Hidden:: 08/11/2015 08:22 PM CDT

Some posts were removed.

As Aneka said Complaints does not equal Conflicts. Knock it off with the snark at each other.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 08/14/2015 12:20 AM CDT

Yeah, at those ranks you basically need to change your stealing runs.

A lot of thieves will go do their combats, healup, pick thier boxes and then click the "go" button for that progressive stealing script and they will lock it around crossing. easy yeah?

Then around 400-450 that script slows and you wont see anything over 10/34 from crossing.

The other argument is, the time it takes to do Crossing Haven Leth and Arthdale. So you may find a lot of shops that,while your not getting the "your not learning anything from stealing this" message, your hardly learning anything at all. So its best to take that shop out of your run so you can speed things up.

Basically, your at the point where you have to change your stealing runs. I havnt found a script that works out of the box for over 450-500 and 34/34.

Be great to be able to pick the front doors of those shops that close at night.

Rifkinn
Re: The lack of moving thievery 12/23/2015 12:38 PM CST
Thievery is currently the worst skill to train, bar none. No skill should require traveling to multiple towns. It's just ridiculous.

There needs to be an exp buff badly.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 12/23/2015 03:28 PM CST
Well, with all the work that's been done on it, the GMs clearly agree!

Note: Sarcasm. I've stopped even playing my thief at this point.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 12/24/2015 02:19 PM CST
I saw your thievery suggestion in the survival folder from back in September and I think it's genius. If only someone would implement it.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 12/27/2015 04:54 AM CST
It gets easier at a point when moving around I s quicker. You obviously need to find or invest in a script if you really want to work this stat and it can be tough in certain locations where moving around isn't easy.

Personally I'd love to gain exp from stealing from other players.
Re: The lack of moving thievery 12/27/2015 10:56 AM CST
>Personally I'd love to gain exp from stealing from other players.

Eh. This is as unlikely as learning from attacking other players.

It used to exist, a little, and people would just stand in a room and steal from each other in a circle (more for the perception, though). I'd rather the skill just get tweaked to be less of a hassle for day to day training, whether it's a new mechanic, a change to the existing ones, or they just make player stealing stupidly more difficult and shop stealing better.