Grey Raven Commissary - Darkstone Stiletto 04/17/2015 12:01 AM CDT
I saved up 2,000 scrip for the darkstone stiletto because I assumed that it would work with ambush slash, but it does not.

Both it and my thrusting blade (which I can slash with) have somewhat fair slice, while my haralun stiletto (which I cannot slash with) only has low slice.

It's a bit frustrating not having any visual way to determine which weapons will work with slash and which will not. I likely would not have chosen the stiletto if I had known in advance, so I have to admit that it's pretty disappointing.

I decided to test a few weapons (most from Knife Clan) to see which work and which don't. Green weapons can slash, red weapons cannot. Still pretty confused here.

http://i.imgur.com/wDI0ScI.png -- the results of my testing
Re: Grey Raven Commissary - Darkstone Stiletto 04/17/2015 12:32 AM CDT
>ambush slash

While I can't help with an answer or any insight. I must say that is pretty interesting information there and I can see where it could be confusing.

Your time for being forced PvP OPEN has ended. You have been set back to DON'T MUCK WITH ME UNLESS YOU TELL ME FIRST! and will not be able to change it for 24 hours.
Re: Grey Raven Commissary - Darkstone Stiletto 04/17/2015 12:37 AM CDT
From elanthipedia: "Requires at least top of the somewhat fair slice range on the weapon and a strength check against the weapon's weight."

My guess is the ones with 4 slice that you have red are the lower end of the somewhat fair slice range and the green are the higher end.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Grey Raven Commissary - Darkstone Stiletto 04/17/2015 01:08 AM CDT
That's a ridiculous line to draw. There's no way to tell in game without spending 2000 scrip on something?

When he compares his thrusting blade--which can slash--with the darkstone stiletto, using the "compare" verb, it says it's about the same. I've seen it, he pasted me. So... there's no way to tell. Without spending 2000 scrip on it. Ugh.
Re: Grey Raven Commissary - Darkstone Stiletto 04/17/2015 07:40 AM CDT
And it's certainly not weight, since he's got strength to slash with a 30 stone weapon, and the ones which failed are less than that.

To OP: I'd past something in the appropriate folder asking for the item to be refunded since it's literally impossible to test without having it in hand. You should get your scrip back.
Re: Grey Raven Commissary - Darkstone Stiletto 04/18/2015 11:36 AM CDT
I'm not saying that the OP's situation doesn't suck, and I hope they get their scrip back, but the reasoning for the level of slice needed for Ambush Slash was set where it is was so that rare metal thrusting blades/rapiers/whateverothername could be used to Slash and Backstab. Before it was changed to where it is now there was not a weapon that you could do both with. The intention was to give rare metal weapons a little more use.

I feel if COMPARE had more granularity and was actually useful, then this situation could be avoided.
Re: Grey Raven Commissary - Darkstone Stiletto 04/19/2015 01:51 AM CDT
I would like that option, I know it will never happen, to make those weapons able to slash with.

somewhat heavy (8/27) puncture damage
fair (5/27) slice damage
low (3/27) impact damage

The pattern-welded katar is dismally (2/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the katar is very well (10/17) balanced and is inadequately (4/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the pattern-welded katar is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).
You are certain that the pattern-welded katar weighs exactly 22 stones.

darkstone stiletto
somewhat heavy (8/27) puncture damage
somewhat fair (4/27) slice damage
poor (2/27) impact damage

The darkstone stiletto is terribly (1/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the stiletto is excellently (12/17) balanced and is dismally (2/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the darkstone stiletto is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).
You are certain that the darkstone stiletto weighs exactly 10 stones.

[21:24] SEND[Naohhi] We'll look into it, but for now, you're making giant errors pop up all over the place on this side. :p
[21:24] SEND[Naohhi] That means.. please stop.
You have some tiny scratches to the wings.
Re: Grey Raven Commissary - Darkstone Stiletto 04/19/2015 09:42 AM CDT
I slash, stab, and stun with my thrusting blade.

Beast Elec Drister

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
―Jayne Cobb

MM1 (EXW) -USN 1999-present