Frustrations with my new thief 10/28/2014 02:06 PM CDT
So, trying the shadowy side. Made a fresh thief. I expect having to jump through some hoops but my experiences with learning khri have been pretty frustrating.

I started in Crossing but didn't want to learn Khri Focus so I traveled to Ain Ghazal only to learn that I have to be fourth level to even enter the guild there. So, I traveled all the way to Haven which for most of you, I'm sure, is nothing but with 4 ranks in Athletics, it takes a while. I get to Haven and learn about the bolthole system only to find out that I need be second level before learning anything from the guild leader there.

Deciding that I'll just learn my one rank of Inner Magic from a class, I find a thief to teach me but for some reason his teaching didn't work and after spending 30 minutes in his class, Inner Magic never went above clear and that one rank never came. I assisted and no one showed up for two hours so I gave up and learned Khri focus. Then a Gamehost arrived but wasn't able to help. All in all, pretty frustrating.
Re: Frustrations with my new thief 10/28/2014 02:29 PM CDT
I think, to compound your frustration, that you might have to learn focus first. I don't think you get a 'free slot' at level 1, I think you get focus for free?

Honestly, the guild mechanics need to be overhauled something fierce for thieves. They all suck unless you're level 50 and can bypass them and not deal with the suck.

As for teaching, what did he teach? I remember there being a prohibition between thieves teaching PM to non-thieves, and vice versa, because the two systems are completely different. You can listen, but won't learn anything. That sounds exactly like what happened? But you said he was a fellow thief, so either the system is bonkered or similar.

As some advice, I highly recommend getting classes on debilitation. It's basically impossible to train until you get either ambush stun/slash, or prowess. Note that prowess will fail almost as soon as you put it up, but if it effects something it'll teach. I just wrote a script the throws it up as soon as it fails. It's sloppy and brute force, but effective.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Frustrations with my new thief 10/28/2014 05:00 PM CDT
Early khri/magic training can be frustrating all around, especially when it comes to selecting and having to run around. It's annoying even at 150th.

>>As some advice, I highly recommend getting classes on debilitation. It's basically impossible to train until you get either ambush stun/slash, or prowess. Note that prowess will fail almost as soon as you put it up, but if it effects something it'll teach. I just wrote a script the throws it up as soon as it fails. It's sloppy and brute force, but effective.

I can't stress this enough. This was the biggest problem I had, and I did exactly the same. Plow through the first 20 circles getting a good spread of khri that train all the magic skills and it should be pretty smooth from there.
Re: Frustrations with my new thief 10/28/2014 05:05 PM CDT
>I can't stress this enough. This was the biggest problem I had, and I did exactly the same. Plow through the first 20 circles getting a good spread of khri that train all the magic skills and it should be pretty smooth from there.

Honestly, at 50+, all I was using was focus and hasten, then I'd throw on prowess and if I had the resources left, I'd run another combat khri.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Khri

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Frustrations with my new thief 10/29/2014 01:02 PM CDT
I agree that some of the guild mechanics need a overhaul and lets be honest you got it easy. Thieves guild used to be very much a secret society much like the necromancers are now and we didn't always have all the guild locations publicly listed on various websites. Talking from my own experience it took me about a week to even join the guild and i was very close to just giving up on the whole thing. It's not okay to expect from someone who just started playing to look for hidden rooms and to know how to examine objects that aren't even listed in the room descriptions (if i remember correctly).

<< I need be second level before learning anything from the guild leader there.

I know the first 3 khri should be free to grab and they shouldn't take up any slot space but was there also a circle requirement? That's kind of weird since you can technically roll a character that will start in Haven, right?
Re: Frustrations with my new thief 10/29/2014 04:06 PM CDT
I think you have to be 2nd circle to learn how to speak to Crow. Swan only hands out that one ability, then? Won't give a novice a khri?
Re: Frustrations with my new thief 10/29/2014 04:07 PM CDT
Also, there are things in other guilds that make it odd/difficult to start in Haven--e.g., clerics can't do the Tamsine commune quest in Haven, only Crossing. Par for the course for Haven, sadly.