Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/13/2014 02:39 PM CDT
The brocket deer bleats in anger as you cast at it!
You feel like your powerful presence has gotten the better of a red brocket deer.
You feel like your powerful presence has gotten the better of a red brocket deer.

My hunting companion asked me how I was casting magic. Not sure if this is a bug or not but that looks like something that needs looked into. Everybody knows traders don's cast spells.
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/13/2014 02:46 PM CDT
Ick, that sucks. Now I know I won't be hunting deer on my Thief. Unless it is a bug and gets fixed.

IIRC, our spells/magic/khri/whatever are not supposed to message anyone but us. Because... disguise.

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/13/2014 03:46 PM CDT
Fixed.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/13/2014 03:50 PM CDT
I thought you needed voice-throw or it was noticable?

Or is this another thing?

While we're on Prowess, my Debilitation is a bit behind my combats, skill 82, so I went over to snow beasts, and basically just kept restarting prowess and just allowed a bunch of snowbeasts to gang up on me. Didn't see it moving at all.

I'm training in Dark Spirits, and sometimes I see it (Debil) going up, but lately I don't even see Debil at 1/34).

So I'm doing something wrong, I know from different stuff I've read our Khri are supposed to be used often and just keep a trickle, but it seems like I can't even get a trickle going.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/13/2014 04:25 PM CDT
>>I thought you needed voice-throw or it was noticable?

No, both of the aoe khri are inherently silent. The brocket deer were long ago told to bleat when the magic system was used against them, and since khri use the magic system as a backbone, they bleated for that as well. I told the deer to keep quiet. The only time voice throw is needed is when the target can't see how scary you are.

>>While we're on Prowess, my Debilitation is a bit behind my combats, skill 82

Debilitation can't be backtrained that way. For exp purposes, all that matters is that your target is a challenge compared to your stats.

>>I know from different stuff I've read our Khri are supposed to be used often and just keep a trickle, but it seems like I can't even get a trickle going.

The trickle is more for the non-combat khri skills, and only if you just start up some khri and forget about them. Debilitation should move well if you are using debilitation khri/ambushes regularly and in areas that are a challenge for the abilities.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/14/2014 12:07 AM CDT
Ahhh STATS, know I needed to reread that a few times...

Ahhh magic the completely different system (or at least that seems to be what I'm seeing). [long thoughtfilled pause] So how do people choose what to train debil on? Because seems I'm rather lost on this. Elanthipedia only bases things on skill ranks.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/14/2014 02:03 AM CDT
<<Ahhh magic the completely different system (or at least that seems to be what I'm seeing). [long thoughtfilled pause] So how do people choose what to train debil on? Because seems I'm rather lost on this. Elanthipedia only bases things on skill ranks.

All you have to do is APPRAISE <critter> CAREFUL as long you have ~100 ranks in appraisal and look for the line about how well you would learn from debilitating them. Anything at below average and above should teach decently, and you should still be able to move it slowly at somewhat poorly. Anything below that and you will probably just get a trickle at best.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/14/2014 07:39 AM CDT
>Ahhh magic the completely different system (or at least that seems to be what I'm seeing). [long thoughtfilled pause] So how do people choose what to train debil on? Because seems I'm rather lost on this. Elanthipedia only bases things on skill ranks.

In general you should be able to train it vs. what you're hunting. Obviously that's not working in this case.

What I would do instead is ambush slash things. I generally start a hunting session with that, and lock BS/debil before moving into regular hunting.

I use slash because it can effect critters currently effected (stun, choke, screen cannot). You could do the same with stun, but you'd need to keep facing new targets, since if it's stunned you can't restun it.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/14/2014 08:06 AM CDT
I'm pretty sure that APP CAREFUL only compares your debilitation skill against the critter, which doesn't actually help in this case.

Does prowess effect Dark Spirits? It sounds like you are losing the stat contest (or winning by a large margin, don't know your stats/skills) which will teach poorly. I suggest taking small steps down the critter ladder till you find something that you can win the contest on. If you are winning against them then move up.

If you can't effect whatever critter is at level for you then train charisma, discipline, strength, and intelligence.
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/14/2014 12:29 PM CDT
> I use slash because it can effect critters currently effected (stun, choke, screen cannot). You could do the same with stun, but you'd need to keep facing new targets, since if it's stunned you can't restun it.

You can ambush stun the same target over and over and learn from it.

When 3.1 was first released, high success caused the target to sleep and you couldn't repeat the action on that target. It was fixed. You can use ambush stun to train. Or clout. I use stun because it has a nice effect (except against undead) and, with my stiletto, it doesn't cause damage. Sometimes killing targets too quickly is a real issue.

> I'm pretty sure that APP CAREFUL only compares your debilitation skill against the critter, which doesn't actually help in this case.

It is indeed not a very good guideline for thieves. Our stats figure in too and aren't calculated by the appraisal. Ambush stun no longer teaches me any debil on zealots because I raised a stat (but luckily guile does). Still teaches backstab. Backstab skill is way higher. Debil training feels very wonky from my point of view.
Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/14/2014 12:40 PM CDT
>When 3.1 was first released, high success caused the target to sleep and you couldn't repeat the action on that target. It was fixed.

Not in my testing. Vs. Pec/troll, using stun (not clout) I couldn't effect it again it 'was not effected' by my previous attack. This was last week. I'll see if I can get back up there and repeat the ambushes after work.

Re: Prowess in Brocket Deer 10/14/2014 04:41 PM CDT
>Not in my testing. Vs. Pec/troll, using stun (not clout) I couldn't effect it again it 'was not effected' by my previous attack. This was last week. I'll see if I can get back up there and repeat the ambushes after work.

I reviewed my logs!

My apologies, I was wrong.

Turns out what I was thinking of was that you cannot ambush slash something unless it is standing.

My script at the time was doing stun then slash, repeat, so stun would often knock them out, they would fall over, I'd go for the slash, they'd be laid over, it would fail.

So by that logic, I think you're right, stun would probably be the better choice since it has fewer limitations?