THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 10:44 AM CDT
Stealing in Shard...

Something is going on, I plead guilty and got a higher fine...(lol) won't be doing that anymore.

pleading guilty:
After a weighty pause, the judge speaks, "Tsaru, you have been found guilty of thievery in the Principality of Ilithi. It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 37904 coppers.

pleading innocent:
After a long deliberation, the judge finally says, "Tsaru, this court is not moved by your arguments, and finds you guilty of the charges brought against you. Your unwillingness to admit responsibility for your crimes shall weigh heavily upon you, Elf."
After a weighty pause, the judge speaks, "Tsaru, you have been found guilty of thievery in the Principality of Ilithi. It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 15283 coppers.
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 10:47 AM CDT
Was the quoted guilty plea after the quoted innocent plea? IIRC the fines go up each time you're busted.
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 11:06 AM CDT
No. They were posted in order. Guilty first. Then innocent. I didn't surrender on either.
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 12:09 PM CDT
What's your Charisma? I believe that plays an important role in fines.

GENT
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 12:25 PM CDT
What were you caught stealing each time?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 12:25 PM CDT
Also do you know how many times you were caught stealing before the guards caught you?
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 12:48 PM CDT
+1 for the title of this thread, I immediately had the guy from SNL yelling in my head. :)
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 01:16 PM CDT
Yea, not just for Thieves, either.

98 Charisma and I've seen up to 24 plat fines on Thievery just by itself with no other charges. Something, I think is messed up in the system - my normal fines used to be like a few gold in 2.0. Now they're a few plat.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 03:36 PM CDT
>>What's your Charisma? I believe that plays an important role in fines

Hella low. 45

>>What were you caught stealing each time?

a two-toned dancing skirt - first time. Where I plead guilty.

an alaca chunenguti - second time. Where I plead innocent.
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 03:39 PM CDT
The item you were caught stealing is probably going to be the biggest factor in this. Also, were you caught on more than one item in the run that ended up with the higher fine?

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 03:42 PM CDT
>> The item you were caught stealing is probably going to be the biggest factor in this. Also, were you caught on more than one item in the run that ended up with the higher fine?

Yes. I got a LOWER fine the SECOND time I was caught and plead innocent. I got a HIGHER fine the FIRST time I was caught and plead guilty.
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 03:45 PM CDT
>a two-toned dancing skirt - first time. Where I plead guilty.
Costs: 13530 doks

>an alaca chunenguti - second time. Where I plead innocent.
Costs: 6819 doks

Looks about right, fine scales with cost of the item you're stealing. About double the cost difference and the fines were a bit more than double. Probably working as intended.
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 04:17 PM CDT
>>working as intended.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 04:42 PM CDT
You're suppose to get a lower fine for pleading guilty and a higher one for failing to plead innocent.
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/11/2013 07:17 PM CDT
>>You're suppose to get a lower fine for pleading guilty and a higher one for failing to plead innocent.

Whooosh. Go figure.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/12/2013 12:19 AM CDT
You did get a lower fine from pleading guilty. It was just that the item cost was so great that the amount fined was pretty high. Working as intended.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: THE FINES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH! 04/12/2013 01:42 PM CDT
In simpler terms, all numbers made up:

Stealing run 1: Caught stealing item X, with a cost of 100 gold.
Plead guilty, fine equates to %80 cost of item: 80 gold fine.

Stealing Run 2: Caught stealing item Y, with a cost of 50 gold.
Plead innocent, fine equates to 100% cost of item: 50 gold fine.

Your fines WERE reduced by pleading guilty, its just the reduced fine was higher then the non-reduced fine because the item stolen on the first run had more value.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur