Thievery 02/12/2013 09:07 AM CST
I'm sure i'm far from the first person to complain about thievery/stealing over the years, but i recently came back and i have to say, its gotten even worse imo. I have by no means played as long as a lot of you that frequent these forums, so some of my arguments may not have much basis, and if you can counter with good reasoning/arguments, please do. That being said...i truely think this skill makes thieves less than impressive.

Thievery is easily countered by training perception. If the victim catches you, its well within their right to lop your head off...hazards of the job. My point, Perception is one of the easiest, if not the easiest skill to train in the game, personally mine has over a 150 rank lead on the next highest skill. Thievery is definitely not the hardest skill to train, but i would rank it in the more difficult 50% for sure. That alone should enable people well enough to defend their own pockets.

I realize this is getting to be an older change now, but having stealing from players automatically flag you for pvp is a complete and total deterrant for wanting to even train this skill anymore for me...I still clean shops out, but whats the fun in that...i start a script and watch it fly through shops...woohoo...I shouldnt have to feel the need to overtrain my combat skills just so i can delve into a few pockets. A thief not being able to rob people at their discretion, i feel like we should rename the guild the Assassin guild, because that aspect of our guild is still fun and stealing seems to be a high risk, low profit, low entertainment value skill.

TBH, i really just want SOMETHING fun that involves thievery. B&E would be great, but at the rate this game gets new systems, i'm betting we wont see that until about 2020. (Not ripping on the understaffed devs, their job is hard enough as is, just citing and exaggerating patterns ive seen over the years)
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 09:42 AM CST
You're pretty accurate. Personally, I find Thievery to serve no purpose other than a Circling restraint. A skill I must go out of my way to train in order to circle. Every item I am capable of stealing I can easily acquire through normal hunting, which is something I have to do to advance in the Guild anyways. Stealing from PCs is rather useless as only bot Traders carry a ton of coin on them, and most people have Perception that highly outranks the Thievery of most thieves and always will.

I do like the fact that you can choose the role of an Assassin over a pure Thief, and in fact that option is why I chose the guild originally for my character, and most certainly have portrayed more of a killer than a thief.

However, Thievery is meant to be the crux of the guild and it needs to be utilized more. Your idea for a Breaking and Entering system is probably exactly what the guild needs. The only problem I see is it's somewhat immersion breaking if it exists like the Museum where the same place is looted day in and day out.

A more ideal system would have Thieves scouring neighborhoods for Homes, each neighborhood with a certain difficulty, and using skills like Perception they would find randomized (locked)entryways that would act as portals to a listing of leveled houses with randomly generated loot to steal. To keep Thieves from burgalizing all of Crossing/Shard/Theren/Etc they could institute timers and a "Heat" system that could cause the guards to scour the city and catch them or bring negative reactions from the Guild if they ruin it for everyone. This type of limitation would also allow for rare random drops in homes such as rare scrolls, ores, etc.

But, like you said, not sure who would program such a thing as it would be a large undertaking.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 09:45 AM CST
>but having stealing from players automatically flag you for pvp is a complete and total deterrant for wanting to even train this skill

You aren't stealing from players 'to train the skill', see below.

>I still clean shops out, but whats the fun in that

>A thief not being able to rob people at their discretion

A thief can rob people whenever, however, he wants. He has to own the repurcussions of his actions. Player stealing isn't about anything more or less than 'I took something from you'. It's griefing. Other games don't allow it period because it's nasty to physically take things another player went out and earned. It's comparable to graverobbing, though that's a loaded comparison at best.

But DR does allow it. The thief gets to choose the victim, location, time, and surroundings of his choice. He gets to mark, pull off armor, put up buffs, and in general control every single variable of the equation he wants. The target gets...perception. And if the target wins, he doesn't get money, exp, or any reward, he gets 'consent' on a target who probably already picked the victim because he seemed like a softball.

And being locked open isn't a huge deal. You can run off and hide in the mines, or any of the 40000000 rooms in DR that aren't safe rooms (mechanics abuse, there), or do a dozen different things.

Now, if stealing had in-combat training, I'd be thrilled. But DR seems to be moving away from a 'every skill trained in combat and if I can't combat train it forget it' method.

Pants.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 09:50 AM CST
>>...having stealing from players automatically flag you for pvp is a complete and total deterrant for wanting to even train this skill anymore for me...

Working as Intended. Your idea of fun is victimizing people with little to no recourse for you. You don't like the reverse. I can't imagine why.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 10:08 AM CST
sigh...thank you tenhatsu for seeing my meaning. And your ideas for B&E are awesome...that would be something i would enjoy quite a bit.

I'm not expecting, nor do i want stealing to be so rediculously easy that i can rob anyone i want with little to no repercussions. I'm looking for a happy medium. Like krooner said, people worked hard for their coin, it would be wrong to be able to take that away from them without proper penalties. We are a guild of THIEVES after all. Why gimp our most defining ability?

Also, just as an added thing...i truely hate the term 'working as intended' just because something is working as intended does not automatically mean it is a good design. I did not say that i thought thievery was bugged.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 10:09 AM CST
Hint: Understanding you != agreeing with you. Every poster thus far has understood what you mean. Most just also think you're fairly transparent in hiding what you really want.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 10:29 AM CST
>Why gimp our most defining ability?

If stealing from players is your concept of a 'guild defining ability' you really need to reconsider your concept of DR. Because it's sad.

Shop stealing, breaking and entering systems, Museum-style 'mini quest' stealing experiences, and things like that are great. They should be expanded on, because they're fun.

Player stealing, as in 'I take things from person' is a relic that needs to go away; it's not fun, it's not balanced, and so on. You're just arguing for less consequence, and more impunity for theft.

Pants.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 11:00 AM CST
>>I'm not expecting, nor do i want stealing to be so rediculously easy that i can rob anyone i want with little to no repercussions. I'm looking for a happy medium. Like krooner said, people worked hard for their coin, it would be wrong to be able to take that away from them without proper penalties. We are a guild of THIEVES after all. Why gimp our most defining ability?

And how is opening you for retaliation not a proper penalty? What "proper" penalty would you propose in its place?
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 11:08 AM CST
>>Player stealing, as in 'I take things from person' is a relic that needs to go away; it's not fun, it's not balanced, and so on.

Says you, I happen to enjoy Player Stealing more than any other system in the game. I don't mind that it's tough and limited but removing it all together would cut out a large part of my enjoyment.

Also considering how easy it is (and has been for years) to train perception now, I can't understand how you would call it "not balanced."
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 11:25 AM CST
>Also considering how easy it is (and has been for years) to train perception now, I can't understand how you would call it "not balanced."

Because the only defense a player gets is...perception.

Theives control every single possible other variable. Location, armor, buffs, victim, and mark even gives them a targetting guide. It's not balanced because the entire risk factor is on the victim. If you steal from someone you get A) stealing B) stealth (both are so small as to be pointless), C) their wealth/items. If you fail, you get...nothing.

If the victim 'wins' the stealing contest, they get..nothing. If they fail, they lose things. That's not a balanced risk situation, especially given how a thief can stack the deck and then choose the target.

If failing a stealing attempt means losing copper/bronze/silver/gold/gem just the same as winning it would have meant, then it would still be a jacked up contest because the theif still gets to choose who to steal from, how to stack his deck, and so on.

>I happen to enjoy Player Stealing more than any other system in the game.

So...controlled griefing is your thing?

Pants.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 11:36 AM CST
Copied directly from profile /help pvp:

1. OPEN - This setting indicates that you welcome any conflict with any person at any time. This is a dangerous setting and should not be chosen lightly, as it will leave you open to random attacks without any recourse available from a GM. Basically, if you have this set, you are on your own when it comes to PVP and you accept that completely.

THAT is my grievance. Before, if you were caught, said victim would have full rights to put you in the dirt. Now, you steal from one person, ANYONE can retaliate. You steal from a supposedly easy victim...said victim happens to have a circle 100+ alt character or friend that now has an assassination mark for his/her younger character's slight. How does that make any sense?

I did not create this thread so people can accuse me of wanting platinum coins to just fall out of everyone's pockets into my hands. If that is all anyone is going to address in this thread, then might as well just not reply to it.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 11:37 AM CST
Being locked Open means from stealing from other players means the entire player-base for the game can "control every single possible other variable" of every other interaction you have. Seems reasonable to me.

>>Because the only defense a player gets is...perception.

This statement is just blatantly wrong. This entire list can be done without training a single skill even. You can:

1. Carry small denominations of coins
2. Use banks
3. Hang out in one of the hundreds of No Stealing rooms
4. Tie gem pouches
5. Put open gem pouches inside of other containers to protect "special gems"
6. Moneybelt

If you're losing significant amounts of coin from stealing, it's your own fault. If you want to carry tons of platinum around as platinum, then you can train perception.

>>So...controlled griefing is your thing?

Yes. I like CvC, I like taking risks against other players, but I also play Open so "controlled" isn't exactly accurate.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 11:38 AM CST

>You steal from a supposedly easy victim...said victim happens to have a circle 100+ alt character or friend that now has an assassination mark for his/her younger character's slight. How does that make any sense?

If you get away clean, who cares if you're open? If you're truly being stealthy, they should never know that you're there. If you get caught, well, that's just the cost of doing business if someone comes along to beat your head in. There are plenty of places to lay low, and it is MUCH easier than it used to be to survive a fight. Suck it up if you want to steal from people.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 11:44 AM CST
If you do the crime, you do the time. People don't like to get stolen from. You don't like to potentially get attacked out of nowhere. It balances out :)

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 12:18 PM CST
>>THAT is my grievance. Before, if you were caught, said victim would have full rights to put you in the dirt. Now, you steal from one person, ANYONE can retaliate. You steal from a supposedly easy victim...said victim happens to have a circle 100+ alt character or friend that now has an assassination mark for his/her younger character's slight. How does that make any sense?

You may be a chivalrous and dutiful Thief with a code of honor, but not all players are. Many Thieves would deliberately and target and harass players like unbonded low-level Empaths who have no possible choice of retaliation, and then hide behind policy when someone tried to intervene.

Locking someone open for PC theft is not only sensible, it is absolutely necessary to avoid policy-playing and griefing. The GMs made this decision for a conscious reason and actual history of abuse, not because they woke up one day and decided that they hated Thieves and player theft.

If you don't want to be locked open, don't initiate aggressive action against another PC.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 12:24 PM CST
Oh, also: between your stealth buffs, invisibility, tools like Khri Vanish or Khri Sensing, and MARK, you have very powerful tools at your disposal to selectively pick your targets and locations to minimize risk, and then to remove yourself from the area if things go awry.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 12:29 PM CST
>This statement is just blatantly wrong. This entire list can be done without training a single skill even. You can:

None of which has any bearing on the actual discussion. You might as well say I could just not log in, as say 'you can spend all your time in a safe room'. I've personally not lost coin to a theft in, oh, 5 years. Doesn't mean I don't think it's a bad system.

>I did not create this thread so people can accuse me of wanting platinum coins to just fall out of everyone's pockets into my hands. If that is all anyone is going to address in this thread, then might as well just not reply to it.

No one has remotely done that, and implying it makes it look like you're not paying attention to the discussion, or want to move the focus because people disagree with you. People have, however, explained that character stealing isn't the focus of the guild, and why it's distorted.

>Yes. I like CvC, I like taking risks against other players, but I also play Open so "controlled" isn't exactly accurate.

Do you walk in, point at bob, say 'I am going to steal from you' then hide, with your armor on, without khri up, in a neutral zone, and steal from him, after he gives you consent to do so, and without using mark?

No? Then yes, you are engaging in selective, controlled, CvC, engaged at your will and whim. Being open or not doesn't really have much to do with it.

Pants.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 12:43 PM CST
>>No? Then yes, you are engaging in selective, controlled, CvC, engaged at your will and whim. Being open or not doesn't really have much to do with it.

Except being Open means you're OK with uncontrolled unprovoked CvC all the time, which has everything to do with it.

I'm not saying the OP is right that thievery should be easier or have less consequences. I think the current consequences of stealing (being locked open) are fitting and appropriate. When someone makes a broad statement that a system is so broken it should be removed I feel that it's necessary to point out that just because you feel this way doesn't make it true. Other people have other opinions on it.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 12:50 PM CST
>>I did not create this thread so people can accuse me of wanting platinum coins to just fall out of everyone's pockets into my hands. If that is all anyone is going to address in this thread, then might as well just not reply to it.

Which is good, because so far no one has even come close to accusing you of that. We've accused you of wanting to be all controlling of the aspects of the conflict.

>>THAT is my grievance. Before, if you were caught, said victim would have full rights to put you in the dirt. Now, you steal from one person, ANYONE can retaliate. You steal from a supposedly easy victim...said victim happens to have a circle 100+ alt character or friend that now has an assassination mark for his/her younger character's slight. How does that make any sense?

Because you have the ability to start the conflict the same way, on anyone, not just who is open. Good for the goose.

If you really want to continue this argument, first read:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Discussions%20with%20DragonRealms%20Staff%20and%20Players/The%20Equine%20Cemetery/view

Because that's where this is headed, the same as the last 20 times it was brought up. I assure you, you bring nothing new to the table.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 12:52 PM CST
>Shop stealing, breaking and entering systems, Museum-style 'mini quest' stealing experiences, and things like that are great. They should be expanded on, because they're fun.

This. Not really a complaint, more of a request. I'd love for stuff like that.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 12:58 PM CST
> I think the current consequences of stealing (being locked open) are fitting and appropriate.

We're in agreement then. But the OP was grousing about being locked open, so I was using your statement as a springboard.

>When someone makes a broad statement that a system is so broken it should be removed I feel that it's necessary to point out that just because you feel this way doesn't make it true.

I don't feel character stealing is so broken it should be removed. I don't care for it, and think any time spent expanding it is a waste, and should be spent on other, more globally fun things; there are enough ways to engage in CvC without stealing. Conceptually, I can see DR might lose a certain something if it was disabled. But frankly, there's a reason few to no AAA title games allow permanently removing resources from other players by players.

Pants.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 12:59 PM CST
>>You may be a chivalrous and dutiful Thief with a code of honor, but not all players are. Many Thieves would deliberately and target and harass players like unbonded low-level Empaths who have no possible choice of retaliation, and then hide behind policy when someone tried to intervene.

That is probably the most sensible thing i've gotten out of this thread. I can totally understand that, and will acknowledge my own narrow mindedness. I remember when i was starting out, one in particular, Celesi, was constantly plaguing the crate in Riverhaven...I do try to find a good balance between being a thief and being a decent citizen (if that's possible). I try not to steal from the same person twice, try not to haunt the same areas constantly, but i know not everyone can restrain themselves. My fault was remembering how stealing was, but not remembering how consent laws used to be. Those 2 systems definitely did not mesh well. With that in mind, i cannot think of a way to improve upon this without resulting in policy manipulators using the system to their benefit. I appologize for being defensive, i just wish good systems wouldnt be ruined by bad people. Happens in real life all the time, so it stands to reason it can happen in Elanthia.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 01:01 PM CST
Double post, apologies: since I brought it up and people seem unclear, the definition of griefing/griefer, is, succinctly, someone who harrasses and antagonizes another player for the sole intended purpose of harassment. Not just annoying as a side effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

Pants.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 02:31 PM CST
>>.I do try to find a good balance between being a thief and being a decent citizen (if that's possible). I try not to steal from the same person twice, try not to haunt the same areas constantly, but i know not everyone can restrain themselves.

If you follow these rules, have good stealth skills, and don't blatantly announce your presence my talking from hiding and such, you will find that you can often steal from PCs with little consequence if you are selective in your targets and get out of the area quietly once the deed is done.

>>My fault was remembering how stealing was, but not remembering how consent laws used to be. Those 2 systems definitely did not mesh well. With that in mind, i cannot think of a way to improve upon this without resulting in policy manipulators using the system to their benefit.

It's sad that the system has come to this, I agree, but it's not a failing of yours that you cannot come up with a reasonable alternative, because one doesn't exist. The only way to make sure that people don't policy-play with theft is simply to set them open and completely remove any protection provided by the very intricate rules of consent.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 04:48 PM CST

>> I find Thievery to serve no purpose other than a Circling restraint. A skill I must go out of my way to train in order to circle. Every item I am capable of stealing I can easily acquire through normal hunting, which is something I have to do to advance in the Guild anyways. Stealing from PCs is rather useless as only bot Traders carry a ton of coin on them, and most people have Perception that highly outranks the Thievery of most thieves and always will.

Pretty much exactly the way I feel about it. Nicely said.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 04:51 PM CST

At first,I thought having to be locked open PVP was the end of my cvc stealing days... and Like you said, "ruined" stealing. (insert moans and groans here) I've come to accept being locked open now as it adds to the excitement of being a thief, and taking risks. Bigger risks than before. It's really not that big of a deal unless you are a policy player and someone who reports to the GM's every time you're shot at. if you're not that, then being locked open changes very little when it comes to player stealing. Yes, if you steal from someone too low to relatiate themselves, they can get a higher circle person to do the job for them, but I have found that RARELY does someone walk up to me and just slay me for absolutely no reason. They are either working on someone's behalf, or I've had some kind of conflict with them. Not much different than it use to be actually.

If you cause a conflict, you have to be prepared to face the consequences of it. Is it "realistic" that when you steal from someone, only they can relatiate against you?? No not really. And even before the "locked open" status, I found that people would get their higher circle friends to chase me down and kill me, or attempt to do so. So what has changed? Only the fact that you can't whine to the GM's about it which you really should not be doing anyway if you are engaging in PvP stealing.
Re: Thievery 02/12/2013 11:52 PM CST

>>None of which has any bearing on the actual discussion. You might as well say I could just not log in, as say 'you can spend all your time in a safe room'. I've personally not lost coin to a theft in, oh, 5 years. Doesn't mean I don't think it's a bad system.

Hey there pal, wanna let everyone know which characters havent been hit by the pocket-change faeries in a while? I'll gladly do my best to ruin your streak :)

On a more realistic and much less playful note, pvp stealing happens alot more than I think most people realize. Problem is all those guys you used to see out of the corner of your eye or flat out catch are now taking piles of gems from everything in sight and peeling 100's of not 1000's of coins out of pockets where it used to be a grab or two and you're caught.

I personally make it a point to try to visit the Crossings at least a few times a week and make it obvious that I'm picking pockets with Osus. Purposely get caught by folks, stand around and chat a little while I'm thanking people for their coins/gems, same old 'Catch me if you can' routine. Only difference is lately people just dont care to chase you down like they used to. I even resorted to so smash and grab games and even snagged a gem pouch or two from some unsuspecting victims in the gem shop a while back. The gem pouch thing turned out to be sorta fun and had a couple big dudes chasin me around for an hour or two cause I apparently snagged the wrong guys pouches, heh.

Thievery needs help on the backend, no arguement there, but it also needs a little creativity and input from the people doing it not to just go 'oh ho hum woe is me, this sucks and is only good for getting herbs and paper envelopes.

-O
Re: Thievery 02/13/2013 11:41 AM CST
When I do a player stealing run in the Crossings, I typically make 20-30 plats in under 5 minutes. It's by far the most lucrative activity per time spent, though there's a long cooldown on it. I'd make a killing doing it, except for I'm almost never in the Crossings. And this is with a modest 500ish in Thievery.

It's a system I greatly enjoy, though I do wish for more applications similar to the museum. I also wish they would make more things stealable. It's annoying to go into a shop and not be able to steal the items being sold.
Re: Thievery 02/13/2013 10:16 PM CST
shhhhh don't wake up the marks
Re: Thievery 02/13/2013 10:42 PM CST

Always amusing when you change the name of the person every time except once.
Re: Thievery 02/13/2013 10:52 PM CST

ha ha, did I miss one? What a giveaway!

oops. I did check it a few times...
Re: Thievery 02/13/2013 10:56 PM CST
>Always amusing when you change the name of the person every time except once.

ha ha, well lets try this again shall we?

I'm set to OPEN Pvp and I do cvc steal. It doesn't always end in my death, sometimes you get a tip! (character name changed to protect the innocent)

Ascender EasyMark's group just arrived.

!>hi
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
!HR>steal jadice pollen
Your armor is hindering your abilities.
Moving stealthily, you manage to grab some jadice pollen right from underneath Empath

Yorgi's very nose.
You don't feel you learned anything useful from this trivial theft.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
!HR>

!HR>stow poll
You come out of hiding.
You put your pollen in your highwayman's pack.

EasyMark throws back his head and roars with laughter!
!>
EasyMark says, "Thats what ye get fer rippin me off Yorgi."
!>
EasyMark says, "Ye bastage."

!>'something funny?
You ask, "Something funny?"
!>
EasyMark says, "Aye."

!>grin
You grin.
!>
You feel an itching sensation in your chest.
You feel a lot better.

>'You got ripped off too eh?
You ask, "You got ripped off too eh?"

>sear
You search around for a moment.
You don't find anything of interest here.

(Insert thiefly sizing up ability here, blind as a bat.)
R>
EasyMark says, "I think my pockets er ok."

>steal EasyMark
There's no crowd here. You had best hide at least.

>hi
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.

HR>steal EasyMark
You silently work your way toward EasyMark.
H>
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into EasyMark's pockets and carefully grab a few plat, a gold, a few silvers, and a few bronze.
Roundtime: 1 sec.
HR>
EasyMark says, "I dun ave any enemies I know of."
H>weal

Debt:
You owe 2 silver, 8 bronze, and 8 copper Kronars to the Principality of Zoluren. (288

copper Kronars)
You owe 9 gold Dokoras to the Domain of Ilithi. (9000 copper Dokoras)
You owe 1 platinum Lirums to the Collection of Qi. (10000 copper Lirums)

Wealth:
7 silver, 2 bronze, and 6 copper Kronars (726 copper Kronars).
5 platinum, 3 gold, 17 silver, 8 bronze, and 10 copper Lirums (54790 copper Lirums).
8 silver, and 2 copper Dokoras (802 copper Dokoras).

(I did have some coin on me but still a nice grab)
H>
EasyMark says, "Or maybe not."
H>
EasyMark chuckles.

H>Steal Easy
You silently work your way toward EasyMark.
H>

H>
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into EasyMark's pockets and carefully grab some lantholite stones.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

HR>
EasyMark says, "Ye good at what ye do."

H>unhi
You come out of hiding.
>'he sure is.
You say, "He sure is."
>
EasyMark winks at you.

>'he got all my coins.
You say, "He got all my coins."

>grumble
You grumble.
>
EasyMark says, "Be well Shay."

>slip stones in my pack
You silently slip some lantholite stones into your highwayman's pack.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

R>'you too
You say, "You too."
R>
EasyMark applauds enthusiastically and flips a gold Lirum in your direction. You snatch it nimbly from the air!

>'Oh nice
You say, "Oh nice."

>'a tip just for being savvy eh?
You ask, "A tip just for being savvy eh?"
>weal

Debt:
You owe 2 silver, 8 bronze, and 8 copper Kronars to the Principality of Zoluren. (288

copper Kronars)
You owe 9 gold Dokoras to the Domain of Ilithi. (9000 copper Dokoras)
You owe 1 platinum Lirums to the Collection of Qi. (10000 copper Lirums)

Wealth:
7 silver, 2 bronze, and 6 copper Kronars (726 copper Kronars).
5 platinum, 4 gold, 17 silver, 8 bronze, and 10 copper Lirums (55790 copper Lirums).
8 silver, and 2 copper Dokoras (802 copper Dokoras).

(and another gold coin to add to the collection)
>
EasyMark says, "Fer tha entertainment, an teachin me ta train me eyes better."
>
>
EasyMark nods to you.

>laugh
You laugh!
>
EasyMark waves.

>'well I'm awfully good at those lessons
>
You say, "Well I'm awfully good at those lessons."
>
Ascender EasyMark goes out, leading his group.
Re: Thievery 02/14/2013 07:09 PM CST
Spend a week open. An entire week.

90% of the time nothing happens. 8% you get killed or have to kill someone because you annoyed someone you shouldn't have (this is the essence of RP...when you're the 100th circle you'll want folk stepping lightly around you too)and the other 2% is someone ganks you because they're an idiot/bought/flexing.

I'm not getting down on guarded people. There's a time and place for guarded. If, and this is entirely not hypothetical, some idiot graverobs you and you commence to stomping the stuffing out of them but they have bought toons that they don't mind using on their behalf...guarded is the way to go. It happens. There's idiots everywhere. See my sig.

But don't fear IG death. Doesn't mean a thing. One of the largest RP arcs I've ever experienced was because of a gank. Embrace the weaknesses of your toon. It makes them THAT much better when you have decent people to riff off of. It took a new guy trying to figure out the astral plane to teach that to me. "I got over my fear of death."

It's only gotten easier to lock skills...and that's all that they can take from you if you're paying attention. So embrace the open bit of cvc stealing. It's actually pretty nice to give up the guarded and NEVER get the warning for stealing from sheep.

Being open as a result of stealing is not unfair. It's actually quite the opposite. It's an effort to protect everyone else from those idiots you're worrying about. It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone so in THIS instance DR is trying to mitigate damage.

If I wished for one/two things for pvp stealing it would be that they'd open up the places that are obvious stealing spots. The mechanics, RP and balances are all there. And if I get 10 plat from a twit...it should teach me. I can steal 6 3g items that aren't moving and it teaches me. I realize that tons of people have second accounts that they could utilize for training if this opened but should everyone else be penalized because a few people found a loophole?

They use those second accounts for teaching. It's the same thing except slower.

Embrace open. Anyone that kills you for dumb reasons is someone you don't have to waste your time with. All it cost you was 10 minutes of rez sickness to figure them out.

Avrii says, "I'll train while youre not on and other than that you'll never see me."
You say, "Maybe y'should start wif that."
Re: Thievery 02/14/2013 07:23 PM CST
>But don't fear IG death. Doesn't mean a thing.

It is honestly annoying to lose my field exp, and have to stand around like a putz waiting for vit/etc. to refill, but you're right. IG death is an inconvenience at most.

Pants.
Re: Thievery 02/14/2013 07:52 PM CST
plus fully tanked confidence, if you're in town it can be offset a bit by our bonus but outside town you're screwed

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Thievery 02/23/2013 01:50 AM CST
Sorry to half rez an old thread and probably repeat something suggested before, but I think a real cool robbery angle could work like mining, only in the cities. Some sort of scout street by street and hit certain places with certain messaging for burglary and random "digs."
Re: Thievery 02/23/2013 04:17 AM CST
Cool idea.
Re: Thievery 03/17/2013 02:01 AM CDT
Yep, nice suggestion. Thievery needs more applications.