Idiotic NPCs and passwords. 09/26/2012 09:13 PM CDT
Can we please get a sane approach to the Haven guild? The rotating guild leaders thing was cute once. But irritating to the point I will walk through haven from Theren to circle in Crossing. And getting the password makes me want to stab something. 'Find a wandering NPC who might have despawned, might be in jail, or might be somewhere in 4000000 rooms of the city!'

Even just having a fast-access route via passages would make the city less useless to me. Or removing the passcode. Or stationing the NPC somewhere as a fixture (like, say, a pawn/lock shop..). Anything.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Idiotic NPCs and passwords. 09/26/2012 09:23 PM CDT
>>The rotating guild leaders thing was cute once.

>contact
CONTACT GUILD while in Riverhaven for a hint to guild location.

>>And getting the password makes me want to stab something.

No different than shard. Get it once then :gasp: remember it. (#var haven.pw blahblah)

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Idiotic NPCs and passwords. 09/27/2012 08:09 AM CDT
not going to put it up here, because it gives away too much info about the guild locations, but I have a script, it checks my info to see which char i'm playing, and it contacts guild, then takes me to whereever they are when I'm in haven, and submits the correct password based on character_id.

And its not even in genie, its in wizard. So I'm sure you're capable of writing up a script for yourself.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Idiotic NPCs and passwords. 09/27/2012 08:57 AM CDT
I absolutely agree that the system that's in place is very easy to test so that one can write a script to reach the correct destination (also to save your password). Yet the Haven guildhall seems very gauche when compared to the newer guildhalls in Crossing, Muspari, and Ain Ghazal. There, the system simply recognizes that you are a thief and allows you access. It's an outdated, punitive system that I think should be a high (thief) priority of removing since Riverhaven is still a starter city. I think it's fun discovering the locations of the guildhall, but having to check everyone for the guildleader is not.

Nikpack
Re: Idiotic NPCs and passwords. 09/27/2012 09:07 AM CDT
The system wasn't really all that cute at the beginning. It had its moments as a dev led event... but even that was borderline. Adding the two more boltholes later down the line was just mind boggling.
It's not a fun system... but yes... there are scripts out there that will at least make it bearable.
Re: Idiotic NPCs and passwords. 09/27/2012 09:10 AM CDT
I have my Riverhaven password recorded in my spreadsheet I always keep up. It is kind of annoying though. And funny enough, I go to Riverhaven to circle rather than Crossing (my base of operations) because of the high visibility of being seen in the Crossing hall.

I say do it kind of like the Necro guild, where once you're a guilded member of some minor standing, you can do a thing and get put in the Riverhaven Guildleader's current bolt-hole residence. But keep the current mechanics as well, because it's nice having hiding places around the city.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Idiotic NPCs and passwords. 09/30/2012 12:06 AM CDT
>CONTACT GUILD while in Riverhaven for a hint to guild location.

Anyone explain this one a bit more? Or is there a (high) circle req? At 30, verbatim contact guild gives the 'here's how you use this' message.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Idiotic NPCs and passwords. 09/30/2012 12:08 AM CDT

>Anyone explain this one a bit more? Or is there a (high) circle req? At 30, verbatim contact guild gives the 'here's how you use this' message.

I've got that same thing... maybe you have to ask someone about something before they give it to you. Or maybe it just doesn't exist anymore :P
Re: Idiotic NPCs and passwords. 09/30/2012 08:46 AM CDT
I have no idea what the circle requirement is but you learn it from one of the Riverhaven guildleaders the same way you learn all the other contact abilities.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss