Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/18/2012 11:51 AM CDT
I see...

Your body feels at full strength.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have no significant injuries.

This, after having been healed by an NPC healer.

Yet, when I try to carve up a lockpick...

You are too injured to do any carving.

Could we PLEASE remove this restriction? Or at least have it so only serious, obvious injuries like a bleeding cut on the hands or arms be the only restriction? Even better, remove all restrictions and instead have bleeding injuries on your hands simply increase the difficulty for creating good lockpicks.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/18/2012 11:55 AM CDT
>Could we PLEASE remove this restriction? Or at least have it so only serious, obvious injuries like a bleeding cut on the hands or arms be the only restriction? Even better, remove all restrictions and instead have bleeding injuries on your hands simply increase the difficulty for creating good lockpicks.

Honestly, I would doubt anything will change until it's released as one of the new crafts. Never hurts to ask though.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/18/2012 01:42 PM CDT
This always bugged the hell out of me too. I use herbs almost exclusively, so there's always those insignificant internal scars. Key word... Insignificant! Change would be awesome.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 02:25 AM CDT
<< Honestly, I would doubt anything will change until it's released as one of the new crafts. Never hurts to ask though.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't change even after the new crafting. As far as i know these kind of restrictions are there for a reason. While it might be inconvenient for you, it still gives the whole meaning to the Empath guild.

Of course this could all change for better or for worse but considering all the recent development in the Empath guild affairs, id say for worse. I can't say that i exactly know whats with all the picketing in front of the Emapth guild but can it be anything other than some bored and "put out of a job" Empaths looking for some attention? Seen this many of times when they just beg for some healing action over the Gweth or just do hit and run healing out of desperation. Might have to consider yourself lucky if you can get any healing done with herbs at all after this.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 04:44 AM CDT
"it still gives the whole meaning to the Empath guild."

Ever tried to heal a missing arm with a jadice flower? I don't think insignificant internal eye scars give empaths their place.

"I can't say that i exactly know whats with all the picketing in front of the Emapth guild"

Its a legitimate ongoing event regarding shifting that has nothing to do with being out of jobs, or whatever it was you were trying to say.

Anyways... its still a pain when you are in the middle of nowhere, or playing off-peak hours and can't find an empath to heal what the NPC healers left over. Insignificant injuries should be... insignificant!
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 06:06 AM CDT
<< Ever tried to heal a missing arm with a jadice flower?
No, but that does not mean it can't be done without the help of an Empath. You can get the worst of it healed off at any hospital and you can do the rest with herbs. At least the situation as i see it is that i never have to find an Empath unless i need to carve lockpicks.

<< Its a legitimate ongoing event regarding shifting
That's is good to hear.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 07:08 AM CDT
Sorry to double post but don't get me wrong, I fully support this, I was just trying to find some kind of reasoning for this.

Just curious, does anyone know if this kind of restriction applies for any other crafting out there? It's been years since i last tried making leather armor and i can't recall ever running into this problem with tanning at least.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 07:22 AM CDT
I sure haven't had any difficulties crafting anything in weapon,armor,blacksmith, or tailoring with a bleeder that i keep up for BLB with my necro. or with any other guild for that matter. <i don't always heal up comepletely before running into the forge with my barbarian or my pallie. So.... I can forge a keyblank.... but not carve it...

Realistically though, new lockpick-crafting will probably be here before this is "fixed". So it will be moot.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 07:56 AM CDT
<<Realistically though, new lockpick-crafting will probably be here before this is "fixed". So it will be moot.

Yep, sure sounds like it, since all the crafting will be consolidated under one system and it's pretty unlikely that lockpick carving will be any different than others. No matter under which discipline it will be yet placed.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 09:27 AM CDT
>>So.... I can forge a keyblank.... but not carve it...

Is there a "best" metal to make lockpicks from currently? I've been sticking to iron since it's what I can make grandmasters out of, but haven't really experimented with out metals.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 09:42 AM CDT
I have done a few limited experiments with some different materials, but I haven't really found the manufactured keyblanks to be any better than the kind you can steal <or, buy?> - soft iron keyblanks- from kilams. A grandmasters is a grandmasters :-).

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 09:49 AM CDT
>>Is there a "best" metal to make lockpicks from currently? I've been sticking to iron since it's what I can make grandmasters out of, but haven't really experimented with out metals.

Unless something changed recently, the metal you pick when blacksmithing keyblanks doesn't matter yet. All that data gets ditched once you start carving it. When making lockpicks goes into the 3.0 system, metal type will matter more.

While I couldn't predict if hardness or physical would be the primary stat, I wonder if density will also matter. If it does, I'd imagine lower being better—who wants heavy lockpicks, right?

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 09:50 AM CDT
>>A grandmasters is a grandmasters.

I assume the overall "bonus/quality/stats on the tool" or whatever determines how good a lockpick is at picking a lock would be the same, I would think the durability might change based on material (though probably not Hardness stat).

When the thief shops at guildfest first came out I felt like the steel/animite lockpicks lasted longer than iron, but I never really did any conclusive testing.

I should really just pound out some low-steel keyblanks and see how many boxes I can open with each lockpick. I'm just way to lazy to actually test it and hoped someone had done so already.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 10:14 AM CDT
The new forged keyblanks don't interact well with the old lockpick carving IIRC. For now, the best readily available material is iron. Steel (harder to carve) has better durability than iron, but was only available at fests (again IIRC).

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 10:29 AM CDT
This will go away with Lockpick making 3.0. I am considering having wounds provide some skill penalty across the board in the future... Nothing major, but empaths should like it (and crafters of alchemical solutions ;)

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 01:54 PM CDT
<< I am considering having wounds provide some skill penalty across the board in the future... Nothing major, but empaths should like it (and crafters of alchemical solutions ;)

I got couple of questions if that's alright.

Will this penalty extend to those hidden wounds that currently only empaths can see and will there be a way to somehow indicate this penalty other than seeing an empath or getting poor results while crafting?

<< Is there a "best" metal to make lockpicks from currently?

Based on my own findings i can tell you that pyrite sure seems to be much tougher to carve compared to iron. That's is in the sense of lockpick end quality and not how many keyblanks break during the process. I have not tested this either but my best guess is that pyrite makes more durable lockpicks than iron.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/19/2012 07:05 PM CDT
>Based on my own findings i can tell you that pyrite sure seems to be much tougher to carve compared to iron. That's is in the sense of lockpick end quality and not how many keyblanks break during the process. I have not tested this either but my best guess is that pyrite makes more durable lockpicks than iron.

You can probably tell by carving a bunch and putting them on a lockpick ring and appraising the ring and see what you get.

Friend bought the wrong keyblank pocket (jet), and while they came out masters, a ring of jet masters and a ring of iron masters do not appraise the same.

For example master iron lockpick rings are "near-perfect condition, and constructed very well", but the master jet lockpick ring was something like "bent and twisted, and constructed very well". It may not have been "bent and twisted" exactly, but it was something pretty horribad sounding.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/21/2012 01:56 PM CDT
<< Friend bought the wrong keyblank pocket (jet), and while they came out masters, a ring of jet masters and a ring of iron masters do not appraise the same.

This is probably getting a lot off topic already but it got me thinking and i did a bit of testing myself.

First carved 10 irons and ended up with 3 Grandmaster's - which is about what i usually get. Then did 20 pyrite and all ended up master's even with getting an extra carve on top of which was already a master's lockpick.

So, taking best of each:

master's pyrite lockpick
The pyrite lockpick is made with metal.
You are certain it is in decent condition.
You are certain it is not at all worn.
You are certain it is a near perfect tool.
You are certain that the pyrite lockpick weighs exactly 1 stone.
You are certain that the pyrite lockpick is worth exactly 997 kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

grandmaster's iron lockpick
The iron lockpick is made with metal.
You are certain it is in excellent condition.
You are certain it is not at all worn.
You are certain it is a near perfect tool.
You are certain that the iron lockpick weighs exactly 1 stone.
You are certain that the iron lockpick is worth exactly 1653 kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

There is a difference both in appraisal and condition and from the looks of it, clearly iron is much easier to carve. This is of course no direct indication of quality but i can only assume that if someone could cap out both appraisals there is a good chance that pyrite will come out on top.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/21/2012 02:57 PM CDT
Er, you compared a master to a grandmaster. That intentional? Normally you compare the same level to see equitable price and suh.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/22/2012 04:04 AM CDT
<< Er, you compared a master to a grandmaster. That intentional?

Yes, just to illustrate how much more difficult it is to carve pyrite compared to iron, since the original question was -- what makes the best lockpicks. I have not managed to get any pyrite Grandmasters yet and I'm just assuming that skill = value in that equation. It comes out as around 40% difference in appraisal value and i wonder if that is any way in relation with the skill required to get Grandmasters out of pyrite. Oh, well I'll find out in a lot more ranks ..

You have to excuse me if this information is already a common knowledge among thieves but when i left on a break some years ago, we did not have any pyrite or pockets or any of that stuff. So, it's pretty new stuff to me.
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/22/2012 05:20 AM CDT

you don't have to go all the way to shard or ratha. you can also get them from the appropriate person/place in riverhaven. And in all the years i've played a thief, i've never figured out the appropriate syntax for crossing, if its even possible to get one there.

/---
Leucius
Re: Injuries & Lockpick Carving 09/22/2012 05:51 AM CDT
I'd love a GM to take some time and lock into these pouches, both from the supposed oh yes somehow you can get them in Crossing to the oh yes, we'll build pouches that can take as many components as a gem pouch can hold of gems.

Hopefully after 3.0.