Getting there... 07/05/2013 03:06 AM CDT
Time Development Points: -2948

Your Armor pool could fill 10 empty skills to 200 ranks and one empty skill to 195 ranks.
Your Weapon pool could fill 2 empty skills to 200 ranks and one empty skill to 91 ranks.
Your Magic pool could fill one empty skill to 17 ranks.
Your Survival pool could fill 42 empty skills to 200 ranks and one empty skill to 127 ranks.
Your Lore pool could fill 33 empty skills to 200 ranks and one empty skill to 116 ranks.

I started at -3300 TDP's, making some progress! =/
Re: Getting there... 07/05/2013 03:40 AM CDT
>>Time Development Points: -2948

Because I was curious, after magic grandfathering from Thief 3.0 you'd be at -1104. Thought you might like to know that.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Getting there... 07/05/2013 11:40 AM CDT
getting back 2/3's of my tdps, can't complain about that :)
Re: Getting there... 07/05/2013 01:18 PM CDT

Ooh, ooh! Pick me! Tell me my grandfathering TDP's next!

-O
Re: Getting there... 07/05/2013 02:01 PM CDT
Ok, but last one. You'd go from 131 to 2433 if the grandfathering was done at this moment. Assuming the grandfathering math doesn't change, which it probably won't since I stole it directly from the Barbarians.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Getting there... 07/05/2013 02:43 PM CDT
daaaanng. nice. I sure hope that math doesn't change :)

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Getting there... 07/09/2013 02:17 PM CDT
I still think thieves and barbs should get double the TDPs from the magic skillset, since we only have access to half of it. Pretty please?
Re: Getting there... 07/10/2013 10:17 AM CDT

>Assuming the grandfathering math doesn't change, which it probably won't since I stole it directly from the Barbarians.

I'd still like to know exactly what the math was.
Re: Getting there... 07/13/2013 08:52 AM CDT
While something is certainly better than nothing, It's hard to be thankful when we've been shut out of a skill set for so long. Everyone that is so happy about these numbers in this thread needs to remember that they are a much more extreme example.

As for the calculation, additional TDPs are nice, sure. But Barbs have always been able to just train more weapons at thier primary rate to compensate for thier lack of magic TDPs. I'm of the opinion that our calculation should be slightly greater due to the lack of available ways to compensate from our primary skillset. But that's me. I'm looking forward to the extra TDPs finally regardless.

Beast Elec Drister

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
―Jayne Cobb

MM1-USN 1999-present
Re: Getting there... 07/13/2013 11:09 AM CDT
Let me rephrase from "be thankful" to "not still feel shorted"

And I do appreciate the time and effort I don't want to be misread. I'm glad that GM Ricinus is at the wheel, I'm told he's quite the beast himself.

Beast Elec Drister

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
―Jayne Cobb

MM1-USN 1999-present
Re: Getting there... 07/13/2013 12:00 PM CDT
<<It's hard to be thankful when we've been shut out of a skill set for so long.>>

Unlike Barbarians, Thieves have never had penalty for learning the magic skills. I argue that while difficult to learn (like many unpopular weapons) Thieves have never been "shut out."

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Getting there... 07/13/2013 01:04 PM CDT
Being forced to either A) sit in classes for a specific skill, or B) use/own one of the rarest, most coveted items in DR (ac-something crystal?) is not really a practical training routine.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Getting there... 07/13/2013 01:30 PM CDT

>>Unlike Barbarians, Thieves have never had penalty for learning the magic skills. I argue that while difficult to learn (like many unpopular weapons) Thieves have never been "shut out."

Since you're comparing apples to oranges, how about we go to primary skillset placement vs tert skillset placement and say that barbs have had 20+ skills to move in their primary skillset while being magic tert versus our 10-14. While never "shut out" our ability to "keep up" was significantly hindered just like Traders were with their lore prime skillset and no way to train magics. 'Learning' and 'Training' shouldn't be confused and its unfair to use them interchangeably when they're nowhere near the same thing where active TDP generation is concerned.

-O
Re: Getting there... 07/13/2013 08:32 PM CDT
<<B) use/own one of the rarest, most coveted items in DR (ac-something crystal?) is not really a practical training routine.>>

Much easier and cheaper way was to use khri to drop concentration and try and activate any self activating device.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Getting there... 07/13/2013 08:42 PM CDT
>Much easier and cheaper way was to use khri to drop concentration and try and activate any self activating device.

I didn't know that taught PM, PP, Augment, Warding, Sorcery, Debilitation, etc.

Alternate, less snarky: I didn't think it was possible to manipulate that to teach more than 70ish ranks, even in 2.0.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Getting there... 07/14/2013 04:37 AM CDT
I've had that convorsation before. Years ago. In fact, in this folder. Oddly, it's the very first thread if I switch to legacy mode or whatever.

Beast Elec Drister

―Jayne Cobb

MM1-USN 1999-present
Re: Getting there... 07/18/2013 10:37 AM CDT
>>>Much easier and cheaper way was to use khri to drop concentration and try and activate any self activating device.
>Alternate, less snarky: I didn't think it was possible to manipulate that to teach more than 70ish ranks, even in 2.0.

It was taking ages, but my Thief has 144 Arcana solely from doing that.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Getting there... 07/18/2013 11:10 PM CDT

I can tell you without a doubt that tapping a fan with concentration tanked from khri taught me arcana to just under a hundred. I'm sure it would have gone higher, I just lost interest in training it.
Re: Getting there... 07/19/2013 01:09 AM CDT
It got me to 400 or so ranks. Different items had different concentration limits and different activation verbs. I preferred thief charms because the concentration threshold was high-ish (35) and the verb was rub (can be done while hidden). My script would run till mind lock, khri dropped or item activated.

Yamcer