What teaches the best? 03/17/2007 12:27 PM CDT
I am trying to figure out what teaches the best, especially for boxes that don't teach as much anymore.

I've toyed with going between disarm all, then harvest, or disarm blind, then harvest.

I usually drop the boxes so I can lock my ability quickly, then pick through a bunch till that is locked and go back to disarming to lock that, then picking to lock.. you get the idea.

Does anyone have an idea of what way teaches the best?

Ningen banji saiou ga uma
Re: What teaches the best? 03/17/2007 12:34 PM CDT
I believe for 1 trap, harvest teaches the most. Yamcer I think knows for sure.

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: What teaches the best? 03/17/2007 02:46 PM CDT
i thought blind taught the most for one trap... i never use it though

i just glance, disarm quick, disarm harvest.

<<I am trying to figure out what teaches the best, especially for boxes that don't teach as much anymore.>>

for boxes that don't teach much on harvest you are just going to have to move up the critter ladder.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: What teaches the best? 03/17/2007 06:56 PM CDT
Why do you use quick over blind? Similar downtime..blind teaches more. I'll skip blin (or disarming all together) if I dont like the trap. Teleporters for instance.

Re: What teaches the best? 03/17/2007 07:25 PM CDT
i don't go for flashy and it is harder to pull off. With 220 in disarm i still set off hatchling boxes with quick now and again. It would get worse with blind i'd assume.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: What teaches the best? 03/17/2007 09:02 PM CDT
My disarming isnt that much higher than yours. I blind disarm about 1/3 of my geni boxes. I wager I could easily more the majority of them, but skip a lot of them out of paranoa (I get quite a few teleporter boxes!)

Re: What teaches the best? 03/17/2007 10:13 PM CDT
at 224 ranks in disarm/locks I can mind lock on 6-8 Fendryad boxes if I am using disarm quick. Lockpicking on the other hand, a pain in the rear end. Takes me 12 boxes to get mind locked in picking.

~Dalkin~
Re: What teaches the best? 03/17/2007 10:56 PM CDT
>>Lockpicking on the other hand, a pain in the rear end.

With 120 in picking and disarming I can lock on goblin boxes... under 10, but disarming maybe gets to concentrating/pondering

Re: What teaches the best? 03/18/2007 09:16 AM CDT
disarm all your boxes first then pick all the boxes... makes it easier.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: What teaches the best? 03/18/2007 10:09 AM CDT
>>disarm all your boxes first then pick all the boxes... makes it easier.

I've started doing it this way, I love it.

Re: What teaches the best? 03/20/2007 12:08 AM CDT
To optimize your box learning you want to pick the trap first then disarm it...picking past a trap trains lockpicking better.
Re: What teaches the best? 03/28/2007 12:24 AM CDT
> Why do you use quick over blind? Similar downtime..blind teaches more. I'll skip blin (or disarming all together) if I dont like the trap. Teleporters for instance.

Teleporters? Almost afraid to ask what they do.. Ok, instead.. how far do they send ya? Never had one so...
Re: What teaches the best? 03/28/2007 04:26 AM CDT
they teleport you to a random critter area usually, but not always, in the same province. stunned, and in RT. That's if the proper moon is up <they vary by the 3 moons - an obsidian circle <katamba>, a red circle <yavash>, or a blue circle <xibar>. so you might end up in polo', sky giants - or shiprats.

the worse outcome is if the moon isn't up. then you disintegrate. which can be... painful. <instant death, with wounds all over yer body>

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: What teaches the best? 03/29/2007 03:21 AM CDT
>>the worse outcome is if the moon isn't up. then you disintegrate. which can be... painful. <instant death, with wounds all over yer body>

Which, frankly, is better than having to travel back. If you disintegrate, you can insta-depart, and get into a class while you find empaths willing to turn into scars for you. Which is infinitely better than figuring your way back from Hara'jaal without a ship.

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Diarik
http://www.livejournal.com/users/pensive-spirit/

Holiness of soul lies within integrity. - Book of Eluned, Magica Bona
Re: What teaches the best? 04/04/2007 04:19 PM CDT
<<they teleport you to a random critter area usually, but not always, in the same province. stunned, and in RT.>>

Guess this begs the question, Where is the worst place a 'portin box has sent you?

Mine was from Riverhaven to being stunned and rt'd in Germishdin. Fun Fun!

Rehlyn

A sailor walks up to you and says, "Your commission as Captain of the Lybadel has run out."
The sailor salutes and walks away to return to his duties.
Re: What teaches the best? 04/05/2007 06:47 AM CDT
<<Where is the worst place a 'portin box has sent you?>>

mine was when i was doing trek boxes on m'riss and the box sent me stunned and flat on my back to polo's <on hara'jaal>. fun, not!

schvartz

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: What teaches the best? 04/05/2007 09:06 AM CDT
>>mine was when i was doing trek boxes on m'riss and the box sent me stunned and flat on my back to polo's <on hara'jaal>. fun, not!

I hope they never change teleport boxes. I can't think of any other single item in the game that can be so disasterously hilarious.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: What teaches the best? 04/06/2007 12:51 AM CDT
It brings a little Moon Mage magic to the dull life of Thieves. A touch of out-of-the-box thinking, if you will.

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Diarik
http://www.livejournal.com/users/pensive-spirit/

Holiness of soul lies within integrity. - Book of Eluned, Magica Bona