Analyze 10/30/2005 02:45 PM CST
Can analyze be changed so that we can use it to determine if a trap has a component harvestable? And not have it actually disarm the trap?
Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 04:06 PM CST
analyze gives a bonus to the harvest portion like mark gives a bonus to disarm portion (makes the next step easier). If something in on the edge of your skill the slight bonuses are a plus to help learn and not die from boxes on the top end of your skill range.

since EVERY box that has a trap is harvestable I don't see the point in an ability to tell you that yes it is harvestable.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 07:15 PM CST
>>since EVERY box that has a trap is harvestable I don't see the point in an ability to tell you that yes it is harvestable.

Actually, thats not true. There are boxes that for the younger area, such as goblins/dryads/nyads where some of their boxes are actually already disarmed. Not unlocked, but disarmed. And your not able to harvest from those boxes. But thats the only situation that I've seen that boxes not being able to be havested.

~Dalkin~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.

>>>>Agonar, apparently taking an uncharacteristic trip to the north, strolls by, winks at Marlena, giggles oddly to himself, and continues his journey onward.
Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 07:30 PM CST
<<>>since EVERY box that has a trap is harvestable I don't see the point in an ability to tell you that yes it is harvestable.

<<Actually, thats not true. There are boxes that for the younger area, such as goblins/dryads/nyads where some of their boxes are actually already disarmed. Not unlocked, but disarmed. And your not able to harvest from those boxes. But thats the only situation that I've seen that boxes not being able to be havested.

ummmm EVERY box that has a trap. if it's "disarmed" when found on a creature it is NOT trapped. my statement is still valid, and a box found with out a trap and only pickable is not harvestable.

would be more useful to put a suggestion for the examine verb to show how much of the trap has been manipulated, right now it only shows if it's been marked, would be nice to see if it's been analyzed, or harvested, or if you are working on a second or third trap.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 07:33 PM CST
>>if you are working on a second or third trap.

That (and the other stuff too) would be very cool.

~Brady, player of Bounty Hunter Samus, Wayne Brady and M. Baiter of The Fallen

The shadowling exclaims, "Bogo!"
Looks like someone has BOGO on the brain...
~~~
Join The Fallen!
Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 08:06 PM CST
>> if it's "disarmed" when found on a creature it is NOT trapped.

If you Examine said box, it has a trap, but its Disarmed. Your arguing something that has no point. Besides what the original poster asked. The box still does have a trap. Its not harvestable. But the trap is STILL there. Just not armed. But you can see the trap. So why can't we harvest it? I don't know. Maybe make it something along the lines of its still able to go off and you still get the component. Don't bug me any. But the trap on the box is still there even though its not armed. Sooo...again..

If the box had no trap, it would state, the box has no trap, instead it showed the box is already disarmed and what type of trap it was.

~Dalkin~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.

>>>>Agonar, apparently taking an uncharacteristic trip to the north, strolls by, winks at Marlena, giggles oddly to himself, and continues his journey onward.
Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 08:23 PM CST
Also in situations where a box has two traps. Only one of them is harvestable. Once the first is harvested you can not harvest the second. Also My argument is based on the fact that ID does not mark, Mark does not disarm, Disarm does not harvest, why does analyze disarm? Can't I just analye to see the type of component? and then disarm later with the bonus still intact to harvest? Or even disarm quick/blind(don't have the skill yet) then analyze it to see the trap component and still get the bonus to the harvest? After all, I can't analyze a component on a disarmed box. I get the message that it is not armed.
Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 08:43 PM CST
the first trap is the closest to the outside of the box and therefor the ONLY trap harvestable, this is a limitation on the program mechanics as posted by the GM when Disarm 2.0 was released.

analyze you actually pick apart the trap WHILE disarming it to get an idea of what can be extracted.

The type of component is evident from the trap, unless you just want a way to find easter eggs.

Yamcer

Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 09:28 PM CST
<<the first trap is the closest to the outside of the box and therefor the ONLY trap harvestable, this is a limitation on the program mechanics as posted by the GM when Disarm 2.0 was released.>>
That is not true. I have harvested a cube from a box that is first acid, then boomer. It just depends when you harvest the box (after which trap you last disarmed) And I want analyze to do just that. Analyze. Not disarm the box.
Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 09:35 PM CST
<< That is not true. I have harvested a cube from a box that is first acid, then boomer. It just depends when you harvest the box (after which trap you last disarmed) And I want analyze to do just that. Analyze. Not disarm the box.>>

sorry you are mistaken... only the first trap is harvestable.
it was probably: boomer, acid, boomer, you just missed the first trap.

Yamcer

Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 09:48 PM CST
I will find a box with two traps, test it and report back here.
Re: Analyze 10/30/2005 10:56 PM CST
Ok, after quite a while hunting for a box that had 2 seperate traps, I stand corrected. You CAN ONLY harvest the first trap as previously mentioned in the post. My appologies for any confusion.
Boomer Box Analyzes 04/23/2008 03:03 PM CDT
I noticed recently that if we analyze boomer boxes, we get some cutesy information about the box maker. I've collected 4 that I've found, has anybody seen one besides these four?

The fibrous yellow cord surrounding the detonator reminds you of the trap making style of the clumsy goblin Grodnek.

The braided horse hairs suspending the detonator reminds you of the trap making style of the pathetic troll Hrrok.

The elven hairs suspending the detonator remind you of the trap making style of the talented elf Ewishli.

The gnome hairs suspending the detonator remind you of the trap making style of the dreaded gnome Ucshefo.
Re: Boomer Box Analyzes 04/23/2008 03:23 PM CDT
nope, and i haven't found any other in-game information on those 4 individuals, nor did any guildleader know anything about any of them.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Boomer Box Analyzes 01/04/2009 07:19 PM CST
Odd that these box makers would include creatures of lesser intellect like goblins. Kalag's memoirs clearly state that trapped boxes are created by Traders and then sold to the lesser creatures.

Kalag even asks what use an unopenable box would be, and his mentor explains that it is designed purely to kill and maim thieves. Hence why the boxes are sold to lesser critters, as making them available to these critters who only keep a few palty coins or gems in them is a great way to make money off the box sales and simultaneously kill off thieves who find the boxes when hunting.
Re: Boomer Box Analyzes 01/04/2009 09:44 PM CST
The Memoirs are old, and may not be 100% accurate anymore.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Boomer Box Analyzes 01/04/2009 09:51 PM CST
Not to mention IG literature is not always to be taken as gospel.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.