(no subject) 01/18/2018 06:38 PM CST

Any chance you could do away with weight requirements for usable weapons and make it based on character str attribute?
I understand bigger weapons may be to much but you could always cap the damage like arrows and bolts?
Re: (no subject) 01/18/2018 06:44 PM CST
The bonuses granted to blindside are significant. Applying those bonuses to larger weapons would be beyond broken. We would have to drastically lower the significant bonuses, and I don't think you'd actually want that if you knew how significant the bonuses are.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: (no subject) 01/18/2018 06:53 PM CST
Awesome change Javac! Thanks a lot. I've been trying out blunts and I'm not seeing any problems or bugs so far, I'm suddenly very glad I'm a sucker for weapon TDPs and have been training up blunts for fun.

I assume, in time, the change of terminology to BLINDSIDE is intended to allow broader development? I know ambushes already have a Backstab check but it would be neat if Blindside ranks would factor more heavily into the checks than they currently do.
Re: Blindside 01/18/2018 07:00 PM CST
Javac, the weight limit has been something requested for forever. Is there anything you can use to explain why it's so important, aside from 'big bonus, best bonus, it's yuge'? Something, for example, that could go into the wiki to point to people about why we don't want it removed?
Re: (no subject) 01/18/2018 07:22 PM CST

Javac,

Since the 30 stone weight cap is still there, is there any chance you would consider lifting the weapon type requirement? It would be great to be able to use that core thief ability with whatever (under 30) weapon class we prefer to specialize in.
Re: (no subject) 01/18/2018 08:00 PM CST
>Is there anything you can use to explain why it's so important, aside from 'big bonus, best bonus, it's yuge'?

Not really. The bonus is INCREDIBLY huge, though. And it's a percent, so the bigger the weapon, the bigger the bonus would be. If we allowed Large Edged or Two Handed Edged to get the same bonus, it would have to be a small bonus. Hence, we cap it to small weapons to keep the bonus huge. I know you've heard this all before, but it's the only thing we can say. Because, seriously. So. Freaking. Huge.

>is there any chance you would consider lifting the weapon type requirement?

I'm concerned that would have the same issue opening up the weight. I'm fairly sure you could get Large Edged templates to 30 stones, and those templates have larger damage values. Which means the percentage would make it bigger.

This started out as a quick QoL change to allow blunts, and non-bipeds. It stayed changing it to allow blunts, and non-bipeds, but nothing about it was quick.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: (no subject) 01/18/2018 09:16 PM CST
>This started out as a quick QoL change to allow blunts, and non-bipeds. It stayed changing it to allow blunts, and non-bipeds, but nothing about it was quick.

I want to be clear that this is one of the best QOL changes for thieves in forever (and, unfortunate timing aside, would have been my 2017 'best release' :)). It's really great, and I'm thrilled to finally be able to use my most potent ability on everything. Thank you.

We're all asking about the weight limit because it feels limiting, but I'd rather have a powerful ability that has limits, than a weak one that requires me to use a 800 stone 2HE for full power.
Re: (no subject) 01/19/2018 02:04 AM CST
What about tweaking the bonus down based on weapon type?

Example SE, ME, SB, MB are 4x
LE, LB 2x
2HB, 2HE, Polearm, Staves 1.5x

Or cap the bonus damage so even with a bigger weapon it can't go beyond what should be possible.
Re: (no subject) 01/19/2018 03:15 AM CST
As I told you in test man, awesome. One of the all time best releases for thieves and something we’ve asked for for a long time. Thank you for listening. As much as I could test I did. And what I could test seemed perfect. I may be able to hop on more this weekend for some more testing. Thanks again. Well done.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: (no subject) 01/19/2018 08:10 AM CST
Just wanted to chime in and say this is a really great release. I played a thief for a long time, and am tempted to reactivate him over this release alone. The only thing holding me back is available play time.
Re: (no subject) 01/19/2018 08:12 AM CST
>Blindside ranks

I forgot to comment on this. Only the attack has changed name. Your guild only skill is planned to change to something else, as soon as I can find the time to change all the places skill names pop up.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Blindside 01/19/2018 09:11 AM CST
Amazing change. My baby thief thanks you with all of his heart.
Re: Blindside 01/19/2018 10:39 AM CST
>I forgot to comment on this. Only the attack has changed name. Your guild only skill is planned to change to something else, as soon as I can find the time to change all the places skill names pop up.

So we'll use the 'blindside' attack which will contest the 'nuskillname' skill?

That's cool. Looking forward to that too.
Re: Blindside 01/19/2018 02:32 PM CST
Popped into test, diggin the change. Everything looked good except this seemed odd for messaging

Your hammer is a little awkward, but usable.
You slip out of concealment and thrust at a young wyvern!
Moving poorly, you swing at a young wyvern. A young wyvern evades, just managing to get out of a tight spot.
[You're solidly balanced with opponent in better position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
Re: Blindside 01/21/2018 03:41 PM CST
>Everything looked good except this seemed odd for messaging

That is weird. I'll have to dig, thanks for posting!

Javac
That one guy

Re: Blindside 01/21/2018 04:52 PM CST
>I'll have to dig, thanks for posting!

I put a fix into test. Please let me know if you see anything else odd.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Blindside 01/22/2018 12:18 PM CST
Looking good!
Re: Blindside 01/27/2018 10:38 PM CST
Any ETA on this moving to prime? My characters never got loaded to test, so I haven't had a chance to mess with it.
Re: Blindside 02/05/2018 04:42 PM CST
Sooo...another week. Any news? Not that I'm anxiously awaiting it or anything.