Backstab Changes in Test 01/18/2018 05:42 PM CST
Lyneya teased some of this a bit on Discord, but the BACKSTAB ability has undergone an overhaul.

Key points:
- No longer requires a piercing weapon. On a miss, slicing weapons will replace the attack with SLICE, and blunt weapons will replace the attack with SWING. These are also the maneuvers it messages as.
- Can target all creatures, not just bipeds.
- Ability is renamed to BLINDSIDE, with corresponding BLINDSIDE verb. BACKSTAB remains a viable alias. Please let me know if guildleaders/NPCs say backstab instead of bindside.

These changes are currently in TEST. Please let me know if you see any problems, or NPCs who talk abuot backstab still.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Backstab Changes in Test 01/18/2018 05:51 PM CST
This is a neat update.

>>No longer requires a piercing weapon.

Is the weight/weapon-type requirement still a thing? Can someone blindside with a 2HB?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Backstab Changes in Test 01/18/2018 05:58 PM CST
>Is the weight/weapon-type requirement still a thing? Can someone blindside with a 2HB?

The weight requirement still remains. There are still weapon-type requirements, but they should now include Light Blunts and Medium Blunts.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Backstab Changes in Test 01/19/2018 06:23 PM CST
I tried it in test and everything seems to be working as expected but i have one request. With all these QOL changes is there any way to change backstabbing to start resetting the stealth learning timer? Without it, the backstabbing verb is almost unusable and it does not even remotely measure up to "feint right eye" for training.

In 20 minutes of backstabbing i got 15/34 in stealth, while i can lock in around 10 minutes with "feint right eye". Would be nice to actually be able to use backstab and learn.
Re: Backstab Changes in Test 01/20/2018 02:34 AM CST
So far it seems good to me. My young thief played with it a bit and didn't see any real issues. Being able to blindside any critter now sure is great. My only thought would be to add a help to the verb, maybe with the restrictions since there doesn't seem to be one.

>blindside help

This attack does not seem to help a HELP option available.
Blindside what?
Re: Backstab Changes in Test 01/20/2018 01:46 PM CST
I’d have to agree with Defol. If I can stab 4 leggers now I’m going to want to stab them. Ambush has been a great workaround, but I’m a thief, I want to staaaaabit.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Backstab Changes in Test 02/08/2018 11:17 PM CST
This is live everywhere.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Backstab Changes in Test 02/10/2018 12:22 AM CST
Looks like it's sort of live. I can blindside things like hogs, just not with the blindside verb. Still need to use backstab.

>blindside goblin
Please rephrase that command.
>blindside
Please rephrase that command.
>backstab goblin
Your blade is a little awkward, but usable.
You slip out of concealment and blindside a forager goblin!
< Driving in with exacting precision, you thrust a steel thrusting blade at a forager goblin. A forager goblin attempts to evade, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow. The blade lands an apocalyptic strike (23/23) (So that's what it felt like when Grazhir shattered!) that pokes a clean hole right through the back, narrowly missing vital organs, severely stunning it.
[You're nimbly balanced and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
Re: Backstab Changes in Test 02/10/2018 08:57 AM CST
Should be fixed.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Backstab Changes in Test 02/10/2018 09:12 AM CST
Any chance we could make blindside work with brawling/brawling gear?

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Backstab Changes in Test 02/22/2018 10:01 AM CST
Question since it's a little hard to test accurately, does khri Eliminate work with blindside and blunt weapons?
Re: Backstab Changes in Test 06/27/2018 01:19 PM CDT
Late to the party, but this change is amazing!