Backstabbing request 10/26/2016 05:32 PM CDT
Since we no longer have to contend with backstab being able to 1 shot people (anywhere near at lvl) would it be possible to review increasing the weight limit for backstab enabled weapons, and/or opening up HE? Or enabling all weapons perhaps up to a certain weight and changing it to a "sneak attack" that would focus its bonus on the weapons highest damage stat rather then being a pierce only attack?
Re: Backstabbing request 10/26/2016 06:01 PM CDT
That would be really nice. I'd like either option.
Re: Backstabbing request 10/26/2016 07:02 PM CDT
>>Since we no longer have to contend with backstab being able to 1 shot people (anywhere near at lvl) would it be possible to review increasing the weight limit for backstab enabled weapons, and/or opening up HE? Or enabling all weapons perhaps up to a certain weight and changing it to a "sneak attack" that would focus its bonus on the weapons highest damage stat rather then being a pierce only attack?

Part of the issue with opening up HE is the same issue with opening up dual wield backstab. The attack itself is basically at the cap for what they want it to be, if they introduced a "better backstab" (or thinking about it a different way, the ability to backstab with better weapons) it would only be as good as it is now, but you'd have to use the "better weapons" to be as effective as you currently are. Personally I'm not interested in that.

Also Ambushes are very similar to what you're asking for, you can use any weapon type, and they're a variety of sneak attacks. I think it's alright that backstab is limited to "stabbing something with a small weapon" considering we can hamstring/stun people at pole range with a halberd. Granted they aren't a specific spammable attack that just does extra damage from hiding, but they're pretty close in a lot of ways (seriously, slash at pole range can be nasty, train polearms)

I'd much rather see development of a missile range disable (not debuff) ambush similar to a root or halt.
Re: Backstabbing request 10/26/2016 08:41 PM CDT
I kind of disagree. Ambushes are great, but they don't replace backstab.

What would be ideal is to put a damage-stat cap on the backstab weapon itself. So even if it has infinity points, it caps at X.

Then just let us use whatever. It would be nice to be able to waddle around with 1 unified weapon for all thief melee attacks, rather than 'this for backstab, this for slash, this for stun, this for fire (in case you want something to laugh at you)'.

I'm a fan of single-point tools, and then allowing people to use specialized tools with more micromanagement if they really want to.
Re: Backstabbing request 10/27/2016 08:05 AM CDT
>>What would be ideal is to put a damage-stat cap on the backstab weapon itself. So even if it has infinity points, it caps at X.

Even something like this would disincentivize SE/ME, why track down a Glaes/Tyrium Thrusting Blade when you can just use a Steel Broadsword

>>Then just let us use whatever. It would be nice to be able to waddle around with 1 unified weapon for all thief melee attacks, rather than 'this for backstab, this for slash, this for stun, this for fire (in case you want something to laugh at you)'.

Check out the thrusting blade template. It can do all of those moves :D
Re: Backstabbing request 10/27/2016 10:42 AM CDT
>>Since we no longer have to contend with backstab being able to 1 shot people (anywhere near at lvl)

This is mostly untrue, at least at the 800+ rank point. It's true you have to pretty much completely out-rank someone to 1-shot them, but I could easily 2-3 shot most anyone in my hunting grounds. Backstab is still the most powerful single-target attack in the game. My opinion is don't fix it if it isn't broken.

>> It would be nice to be able to waddle around with 1 unified weapon for all thief melee attacks, rather than 'this for backstab, this for slash, this for stun, this for fire (in case you want something to laugh at you)'.

As already pointed out, and as I have also told you plenty of times, there is a weapon that will do it all for Thieves. Also, if you want more weapons opened up to be a one-thing-does-all then I think dropping\lowering weapon restriction on Ambushes is a better way to go about it than having our best offensive option rewritten.
Re: Backstabbing request 10/27/2016 01:59 PM CDT
Annnnd this is why I don't bother to post any more.

I'd explain what I meant but really I don't think anyone cares.
Re: Backstabbing request 10/31/2016 02:42 PM CDT
I care. Please elaborate so that the rest of us can better understand your point of view on this.

---
NaOH+HI