Testing of backstab boosting effects 02/28/2016 10:52 PM CST
Using nothing, confidence at a little above average

mark backstab target
Backstabbing target, has a low chance of stopping your attack. (+3)
You feel highly confident in the accuracy of your judgement.

Khri Strike active
Backstabbing target, should be quite surprised! (+4)

Using the darkstone stiletto, no other effect

You suddenly feel like your ability in Backstab has been strengthened.

Using sleek black stinger from a giant wasp, no other effect

You suddenly feel like your ability in Backstab has been strengthened.

Khri Strike active and stiletto or stinger effect active, same result on either
Backstabbing target, should be quite surprised! (+4)

Needs more testing but I don't think the boost from the items is much.

SEND[Naohhi] We'll look into it, but for now, you're making giant errors pop up all over the place on this side. :p
SEND[Naohhi] That means.. please stop.
You have some tiny scratches to the wings.
Re: Testing of backstab boosting effects 02/29/2016 02:07 AM CST
>>Needs more testing but I don't think the boost from the items is much.

They usually aren't. I'm not sure about these items in particular but other skill boosting items from quests tend to be a flat rank boost and not a percentage. Usually this rank boost is under 100 ranks, and more time than not under 50 ranks. I'm not even sure if these would stack on top of a full potency Khri Strike either. For these reasons I've never been interested in any of the Backstab buffing weapons, and that's not even touching the fact that I find the weapons lackluster themselves.
Re: Testing of backstab boosting effects 02/29/2016 04:26 PM CST
Well that is disheartening, maybe one day it can be a percentage and not a flat number but chances are no on that.

SEND[Naohhi] We'll look into it, but for now, you're making giant errors pop up all over the place on this side. :p
SEND[Naohhi] That means.. please stop.
You have some tiny scratches to the wings.
Re: Testing of backstab boosting effects 02/29/2016 05:27 PM CST
>>I'm not sure about these items in particular but other skill boosting items from quests tend to be a flat rank boost and not a percentage.

It's completely possible I've missed a post saying this, but my understanding is that all boosts (spell and item) went to a percentage-based system vs a flat rate explicitly because they were too strong at low ranks and too weak at high ranks.

That said, I don't know if skill boosting items are set to give the maximum benefit SoI allows, or if it can vary, etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Testing of backstab boosting effects 02/29/2016 06:25 PM CST
<<It's completely possible I've missed a post saying this, but my understanding is that all boosts (spell and item) went to a percentage-based system vs a flat rate explicitly because they were too strong at low ranks and too weak at high ranks.

I don't remember this at all for items, which I think are almost all flat boosts because they're predominantly legacy items and conversion was only enough to get them working again in 3.0 and not a complete rewrite. Spells and abilities pretty much follow your statement, although I don't think there's anything explicitly saying that they can't be flat boosts. They just simply do percentage boosts because of the better scaling. I can't think of a single boosting ability that is a flat boost anymore, not counting binary secondary effects.