Shopping For a New Weapon 11/15/2013 03:23 PM CST
With the consolidation of skills, and recent awakening to the lands, I'm in the market for a new blade. What I would like is something that is amazing for parry and ideal for LEARNING backstab. Funds are tight, but I'll be saving up for that ideal weapon. I've currently got a five year old forged blade for reference.

Impressed into the metal is the image of a rampant bear over the name "Drevid" in bold lettering.
app sword careful

A short sword is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
A short sword trains the small edged skill.
The short sword is well suited for backstabbing.

You are confident that it could do:
somewhat moderate puncture damage
low slice damage
dismal impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The short sword is dismally designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are confident that the sword is poorly balanced and is inadequately suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the short sword is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.
Re: Shopping For a New Weapon 11/15/2013 03:55 PM CST
This is what I use. I'm also able to use Ambush Slash with it (for now).

A glaes thrusting blade with a balanced blade is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.
A glaes thrusting blade with a balanced blade trains the small edged skill.
The thrusting blade is ill suited, but usable, for backstabbing.

You are certain that it could do:
very heavy (10/26) puncture damage
somewhat fair (4/26) slice damage
low (3/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

The thrusting blade is dismally (2/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the blade is extremely well (11/17) balanced and is dismally (2/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the thrusting blade is quite guarded against damage (12/18), and is practically in mint condition (90-97%).

The thrusting blade is made with metal.
You are certain that the thrusting blade weighs exactly 28 stones.
Re: Shopping For a New Weapon 11/15/2013 04:07 PM CST
I didn't expect to hear EXACTLY what I was looking for so quickly! Seeing that balancing blade option on your blade is something I'm unfamiliar with, so I'll be researching that as well. There are a LOT of new things that I'm still catching up on.
Re: Shopping For a New Weapon 11/15/2013 04:34 PM CST
A steel telek is a great choice, runs 10-15 plat and typically weights less than 10-20 stone. It's what I use. I've never tried to ambush slash with it but if there's a slice requirement I suspect it would fail. It's basically just a good light stabber with good balance.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Shopping For a New Weapon 11/15/2013 06:23 PM CST
>> Seeing that balancing blade option on your blade is something I'm unfamiliar with, so I'll be researching that as well. There are a LOT of new things that I'm still catching up on.

It is part of the new crafting system. You are able to use a cleaning cloth from a society and cycle the enhancements in the tap to make it look different. Just means the blade has been balanced though

>>I've never tried to ambush slash with it but if there's a slice requirement I suspect it would fail.

There is. Seems it is high end somewhat fair slice.
Re: Shopping For a New Weapon 11/15/2013 10:08 PM CST

If you're looking for the best LEARNING, I think you'd actually want a forged carving knife or a hawkbill, I know knife/hawkbills are primarily slice but they still do plenty of piercing damage for learning (but not huge amounts so that you are constantly without something backstab) while letting you ambush slash if needed, and have extremely high balance for maximum accuracy. Also a LE weapon (not to be confused with an ME that teaches SE Skill) has a chance at being only 2 seconds for backstabbing instead of always 3.

Another thing to know is if you played a while back you probably trained by not actually using the BACKSTAB verb, but by using "attack <body part> (while hiding)". This is no longer necessary (unless hunting something that doesn't stand upright) as the exp from using BACKSTAB has been much improved, where as the exp from "attack <body part> (while hiding)" has not been increased.