Adjustments 01/22/2013 06:13 AM CST
Howdy folks. Backstab should no longer message "Backstab.", and have the usual "thrust" message for hits and misses. I also increased the experience by a very large factor - please let me know if that helps.

Still need more time to work out the damage mods. Backstab has a MUCH higher damage cap from excess OF than other attacks. I may change this to be a pure damage bonus instead, since most folks aren't underhunting that much.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Adjustments 01/22/2013 08:40 AM CST

Kodius,

Thanks for adjusting the BS experience.

Any chance you could look at the experience from ambush stun, slash, clout, screen, sight?

Stun, slash, and clout give basically zero weapon experience now, but in 2.0 they would typically move the weapon skill one mindstate if successful. Backstab experience seems similar to 2.0 which was very poor, but it will move mindstates at level after lots ambushes.

Screen is not giving as much light thrown experience as 2.0, maybe about 1/2 as much.
Re: Adjustments 01/22/2013 04:13 PM CST

>I also increased the experience by a very large factor

As in a horse is very large compared to a pony or as in the Sun compared to the Earth?

Either way, really not feeling a very large improvement, if any at all.

Also was this just a change to backstab exp from BACKSTAB or also from targeted attacks from hiding, and ambushes?
Re: Adjustments 01/24/2013 09:58 AM CST
Thanks for looking at all of this, Kodius.

I did some testing in Sky Giants. I am not sure if it will help you, but here are the basic results:

I started with using solely Backstab on 20 Sky Giants. No buffs or enhancements of any kind, no disablers. Just straight backstab with the weapon that I've appraised for you below.

10 of them required 8 successful backstabs.
4 required 9.
1 required 7.
1 required 10.
1 required 11.
1 required 12.
And a personal best with 1 requiring 6.

I then jumped into using solely Attack while out in the open(No ambushing) with the same weapon at melee. I only bothered killing 10 Sky Giants this time because the results were quite telling by the time I had killed them.

7 of them required 14 hits.
1 required 15.
1 required 12.
and 1 required 11.

Skills:

Backstab: 760
Small Edged: 642

Using this forged steel Jambiya:

A steel jambiya is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
A steel jambiya trains the small edged skill.
The steel jambiya is well suited for backstabbing.

You are certain that it could do:
fair puncture damage
somewhat moderate slice damage
low impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The steel jambiya is dismally designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the jambiya is soundly balanced and is inadequately suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the steel jambiya is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

In my personal opinion, does Backstab damage need to be increased? Considering it requires you to hide(thus eating up more time), and contests both defenses and Perception, I'm going to go with a solid "Probably". Backstab is meant to be a one-time opening devastating move. But with the massive changes in combat, I'm not sure it will ever work that way. I wonder if it's possible with the new system to perhaps instill very devastating bleeders with a backstab? Not sure how possible or useful that is the new system, but might be something to consider and other Thieves can chime in on the idea.

If you need more specific information or would like to see the log, let me know.
Re: Adjustments 01/24/2013 10:28 AM CST
<<In my personal opinion, does Backstab damage need to be increased? Considering it requires you to hide(thus eating up more time), and contests both defenses and Perception, I'm going to go with a solid "Probably". Backstab is meant to be a one-time opening devastating move. But with the massive changes in combat, I'm not sure it will ever work that way.

Looking at your data,
Statistic Using Backstab Only Using Attack Only
Average 8.53 hits 13.6 hits
Standard Deviation 1.35 hits 1.17 hits

That seems to be a sizable (if not devastating) boost when using backstab to the number of hits required to kill (a 60% reduction in the number of hits required in fact). I don't think backstab will ever be usable in the old model in DR 2.0 where you could get a 1 or 2 shot kill. In fact, I don't even think in the DR 3.0 model, that a 4 or 5 hit kill is acceptable when (and this is important) straight attacking requires 13 hits on average.

These appear to suggest to me that backstab damage is pretty awesome. Unless I'm missing something.

Nikpack
Re: Adjustments 01/24/2013 11:02 AM CST
>>These appear to suggest to me that backstab damage is pretty awesome. Unless I'm missing something.

The time involvement. Having to hide for each backstab meant that the approximate time to kill each one was roughly the same. In other words, the damage improvement did not matter, thus contesting the two skills is more of a useless risk than a calculated risk with potential rewards.

Going solely off the most common strings in both, which was 8 out of 8 landed attacks for backstab(no misses) and 14 out of 14 attacks for Attack verb, the time involvement was roughly:

5 second delay per Backstab meaning each kill was roughly 45 seconds.

With Attack it depends more on the type of attack, but the highest delay is 3 seconds per swing(for me), which still comes out to roughly 42 seconds with 14 attacks AT WORST. Which was never happening, half of my attacks were 1 second attacks. Thus my average kill time with simply Attack was roughly 28 seconds.

I am killing faster with simply Attack than I am with Backstab.

Re: Adjustments 01/27/2013 12:41 AM CST
That said, backstab makes a great opener - strong alpha strike, followed by faster and smaller hits.
Re: Adjustments 01/27/2013 08:36 PM CST
Yeah, and just to clarify... Backstab has always had a larger damage bonus to the first hit on a target. I'm not sure the original intent was for it to be anything more than an opener, or finisher of an already wounded mark.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Adjustments 01/27/2013 10:02 PM CST
>> Yeah, and just to clarify... Backstab has always had a larger damage bonus to the first hit on a target. I'm not sure the original intent was for it to be anything more than an opener, or finisher of an already wounded mark.

mmm. In ROM MUDS, backstab was only allowed one time during a certain period. And then you would get a "XX is too aware to be stabbed in the back." Seemed to work pretty well. It allows backstab to retain OP status since you can only get 1 hit off. And then you could get rid of all weird coding for subsequent hits. :P
Re: Adjustments 01/28/2013 01:21 PM CST
The things you learn when the system gets tweaked.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Adjustments 01/28/2013 05:59 PM CST

Thanks for all the good work Kodius. The last couple days have been great for my baby thief went from not being able to get past 2/34 to being able to lock in about 40 attempts.