Prev_page Previous 1
Backstab 01/20/2013 03:56 PM CST
I know there were some issues with BS in the test instance. Is it now functioning as intended?

Avrii says, "I'll train while youre not on and other than that you'll never see me."
You say, "Maybe y'should start wif that."
Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 04:03 PM CST
I've been having a great time with it, but it does say 'you backstab at' instead of lunge, thrust, etc.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 04:38 PM CST
I believe the RT and damage aspects are fixed. Still trying to figure out why the messaging is broken.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 04:43 PM CST
It's working as intended if intended was slow and not anymore powerful than any other attack. I tested it out in head-splitters last night, 800 backstabbing so they don't teach me, but my test was more so for purposes of seeing how long it took to kill. It was quicker for me to kill using a katar or scimitar with 100 less ranks in small edge than it was to stalk into hiding and backstab them. With 2-3 second backstab roundtime using a telek, 3 second stalk into roundtime that's 5-6 seconds each strike and it was taking 3-6 strikes to kill, usually in the range of 4-5 seconds so that's 20-25 seconds to kill each head-splitter minimum and again they don't even teach me. The average kill using a katar or scimitar was in the 11-13 second range. So it's taking roughly twice as long per kill using our "supposed" special ability. I used to run through these in the 3-6 second range depending if it took 1 or 2 hits to kill. I understand that they wanted to slow combat down, but they slowed combat down and tanked the power of backstabbing altogether.

My friend was commenting on how he's only gotten a few boxes all night so I also went into splitters to check the box rate. What I noticed was the box rate is quite a bit less frequent than it previously was especially for how long it's taking per kill. I think there needs to be an uptweak in both the box rate and the power of backstabbing.

Overall combat is alright, but I'm really disappointed with backstabbing. Hopefully there will be some changes, there really needs to be.

- Reihn
Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 05:11 PM CST
Head splitters have about 100 less defense than their offense. For this reason they tend to die rather quickly if you wave a feather at them. Their armor is also paper-thin and so you won't get much benefit out of backstab's extra damage.

I guess I'll mention that Backstab isn't going to always be the best attack for a given situation. 1-hit kills are gone and folks will have to get used to it. A better approach would probably be a backstab followed by a lunge or thrust to finish it off.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 05:29 PM CST
I'm reserving judgement on the usefulness of backstab until I get a chance to use it in a pvp environment. It might be that I can get off 5 backstabs before a decent area spell is off. (Provided they decide to sit still for it)

I worry about hiding again after an initial hit but I guess we'll see. Backstab, on the whole, was useful when you completely outclassed someone. It was worthless when you wanted to fight at or above level (pvp). That niche was filled by bows.

That said, I was really looking forward to a BS field exp boost (because we don't one hit anymore) and I'm still training with 'feint left eye' or staying at 2/34. Feint left eye is training faster but despite my advocacy for training BS against 'harder, more precise' targets, everything else got some love, I'd love if this did too.

You guys have enough on your plate with magic users ready to storm the gates but if it comes up, maybe tweak the gain on it? Everything else is as it was for thieves.

Backstab for shock and awe

poach to actually win

Avrii says, "I'll train while youre not on and other than that you'll never see me."
Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 05:46 PM CST
I'm not expecting 1 hit kills by any means. I just completely disagree with 4-6 hit kills, in the 5 average today, against something so outclassed as I am against head-splitters and as you said against their poor defense and paper-thin armor. It shouldn't take that long to kill them. It's not reasonable. I'm dreading going to see how ridiculously long it's going to take for me to kill something at level and then we're supposed to not dance with mobs of 4, but with how slow killing is how is it even possible to not get 4 on you? I've got 3 splitters constantly on me at the rate I'm killing them and they're outclassed.

Also what is up with the vitality pulses? I'm going like 15 minutes without any pulse of vitality? That seems broken and if it isn't 1 word, wow. I hate being so negative and pessimistic about some things, but I'm pretty frustrated right now.
Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 05:52 PM CST
>>It might be that I can get off 5 backstabs before a decent area spell is off. (Provided they decide to sit still for it)

I highly doubt it. The goal of 3.0 was to make PvP more dynamic. Backstab should still be a strong attack, but it is mandatory that a similarly-skilled enemy has a chance to retaliate. This also holds true for when a mage gets the jump on you...

Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 05:55 PM CST
>>Also what is up with the vitality pulses? I'm going like 15 minutes without any pulse of vitality? That seems broken and if it isn't 1 word, wow. I hate being so negative and pessimistic about some things, but I'm pretty frustrated right now.

It makes sense for people to be frustrated, but please give us a chance. Many of us haven't slept in days - and this is just a game afterall. Backstab is a single ability for just one of the Guilds. We've had bigger issues to tackle the past 24 hours.

And I didn't get from your post that it was taking 4-6 backstabs to kill vs 5 hits with a sword. Just longer because of the time spent advancing, etc. I'll dig into this again tonight once I've had some food and a nap or twelve :P

Your lack of vitality regen is likely from a bug. We saw it occasionally in Testing and fixed instances of it we could find. Please ASSIST when it happens and we'll take a look.

Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 06:23 PM CST
You know, a potentially very powerful outlet for backstab could be armor ignore, or some other forms of damage reduction ignore power. Would make sense for the skill, and give thieves a strong power vs. heavily armored targets, as a possible tradeoff for the complete lack of AoE abilities.

Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 06:38 PM CST
Again, all hail the GM's. You guys are rocking double duty and it's thankless at best. So from one of the grumpiest posters "Thank you." No sarcasm, no agenda. Well done across the board.

Unless you're Q. No love for Q.

I'll give anything a try. Dynamic pvp, under these auspices, seems like it would be more a run and hide, return and smack sort of thing. I backstabbed someone I completely outclassed, hit solidly and no damage. Just a vit hit.

When you can run 60 rooms in 4 seconds though, the pvp thing gets weird.

Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 10:23 PM CST

>Your lack of vitality regen is likely from a bug. We saw it occasionally in Testing and fixed instances of it we could find. Please ASSIST when it happens and we'll take a look.

off topic but I think it happens when you take a vitality hit right as you are also getting a pulse, I've had my vit jump from 97 to 100 then immediately back to 98/99 from a hit or lodged weapon (arrow) wiggle and then sit there for a really really long time, also I think once you get hit by this bug, you might need to relog to restart your vitality pulses

started seeing this in just the last couple days of test and maybe once so far in prime
Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 10:25 PM CST
>>When you can run 60 rooms in 4 seconds though, the pvp thing gets weird.

There is a timer for leaving the room after using a ranged attack or spell. This will likely be extended to melee as well to prevent the kind of broken PvP you describe. Thieves might actually be a good candidate for an enhanced flee that allows them to break this for the purpose of getting out when the going gets rough. Anyhow, we're still looking into it. Just kind of burnt out at the moment and needing some sleep :P

Re: Backstab 01/20/2013 11:23 PM CST
In running my BS script earlier, I noticed I was oscilating between 'you thrust' and 'you backstab' now. Any changes made?

Re: Backstab 01/21/2013 12:34 AM CST
Please get some sleep, but understand that our frustration comes from getting nothing new in 3.0, being negative mass TDPs (-2650 for me), and our special skill being worse than a normal attack and a pain in the rear to train. I understand that thieves are a work in progress to say the least, but at the very least make our guild skill trainable and useful. Pretty please.
Re: Backstab 01/21/2013 02:19 AM CST
I did some more investigating, and it turns out that GMs can't duplicate the bug :( Hence why it has been hard to fix. I may need to call on some of you to help duplicate it for me so I can finally get it licked. Thanks for being patient!

Re: Backstab 01/21/2013 02:25 AM CST
Thank you for more eloquently putting my exact thoughts and feelings. With hiding and stalking each being given a 1 second roundtime bump as well as backstabbing being given a bump in roundtime too it seems like a double penalty to train our guild's primary skill. I'm more than happy to spend as much time with any GM's as is needed to just make this fair and right for this entire guild. I can see two possible ways to make this fair. 1 would be to kill the extra roundtime that was added onto backstabbing since we're already having to go into hiding just to be able to use our special attack and train a guild required skill or the 2nd would be to leave that added roundtime and increase the power of the attack. Just a couple ideas. If anyone else has any throw them out and let's get it right. Thanks in advance.

- Reihn
Re: Backstab 01/21/2013 10:53 AM CST
Adding examples to the messaging woes. Also we are hitting legs now?

You slip out of concealment and backstab a zombie mauler!
< Moving with powerful grace, you thrust a tyrium stiletto with a scorpion diamond set into the antique silver hilt at a zombie mauler. A zombie mauler fails to dodge, avoiding only some of the blow.
The stiletto lands a powerful (11/23) strike that impales the mauler's spinal cord to spill smelly vitreous fluid upon the ground.
[You're nimbly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

R> hide

You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

HR> backstab

You slip out of concealment and thrust at a zombie mauler!
< Driving in like an unbeatable force, you Backstab at a zombie mauler. A zombie mauler fails to evade, avoiding only some of the blow.
The stiletto lands a vicious (14/23) strike that rips the mauler's right leg from the hip.
The zombie mauler falls over on what remains of its face.
[You're nimbly balanced and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

You slip out of concealment and backstab a zombie mauler!
< Driving in like an adept combatant, you thrust a tyrium stiletto with a scorpion diamond set into the antique silver hilt at a zombie mauler. A zombie mauler attempts to evade, stepping partly into the blow.
The stiletto lands an extremely heavy (10/23) hit that rips away half of the mauler's neck to expose a rotting black tongue.
[You're bruised, adeptly balanced and in very strong position.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

You slip out of concealment and thrust at a zombie mauler!
< Moving as one fluid extension of power, you Backstab at a zombie mauler. A zombie mauler attempts to dodge, avoiding only some of the blow.
The stiletto lands a powerful (11/23) strike that drives the tyrium stiletto under the mauler's sternum to explode its heart.
A zombie mauler falls belly-up and grunts its last grunt.
[You're nimbly balanced]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

If the messaging says thrust at X then the you Backstab message shows up, if the message is and backstab X the you thrust messaging shows up.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BearTrap
Traps, coming soon to DR.
Re: Backstab 01/21/2013 07:05 PM CST
So it just randomly picks Backstab or thrust? I believe the hitting the legs is a result of the system thinking its a thrust and not a backstab.

Re: Backstab 01/21/2013 08:46 PM CST
As near as I can tell, I've had both show up on what I would count as 'successful' hits.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BearTrap
Traps, coming soon to DR.
Re: Backstab 01/21/2013 09:52 PM CST
I know a while back they had changed the messaging for IC reasons so that only the thief doing the action "sees" the backstab, second person viewpoint sees only a "thrust". That was back in GM-Royce days.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Backstab 01/22/2013 06:25 AM CST
I was testing BS learning in assassins and it was pretty pathetic to say the least but i've no idea what happened but i just got this like 5 times in a row trying to stab out of nowhere. She had to leave combat for a few seconds and head back into a different room before it went back to normal messaging again.
Can you please look at BS learning rates, even ambushing isnt that good at teaching when weapons lock at 34/34 and BS is stuck at 5/34 its not good

You turn to face a Dragon Priest Assassin.
You slip out of concealment and thrust at a Dragon Priest assassin!
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
<You thrust at a Dragon Priest assassin. A Dragon Priest assassin dodges, just out of harm's way.
[You're bruised, solidly balanced with opponent in very strong position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
<Moving with powerful grace, you thrust at a Dragon Priest assassin. A Dragon Priest assassin attempts to dodge, avoiding most of the blow.
The knife lands a heavy strike (7/22) that rips skin and exposes bloody cartilage under the left kneecap.
[You're bruised, solidly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
<Moving with powerful grace, you thrust at a Dragon Priest assassin. A Dragon Priest assassin attempts to dodge, avoiding most of the blow.
The knife lands a heavy strike (7/22) to the assassin's right arm.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
T9 is thrust.
<Driving in like an unbeatable force, you thrust at a Dragon Priest assassin. A Dragon Priest assassin fails to dodge.
The knife lands a hard hit (5/22) to the assassin's right arm.
[You're bruise, winded, nimbly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Backstab 01/22/2013 05:09 PM CST
I increased it by 250%. Apparently something else is going on :/

The thrust messaging was a very brief introduction while I debugged something. The experience change would not have been live until after the debug messaging vanished, so please re-test if you could.

>>Any chance you could look at the experience from ambush stun, slash, clout, screen, sight?

Sure, I will when I get home. Sorry this is taking so long, RL is keeping me busy this week.

Re: Backstab 01/22/2013 05:43 PM CST
Not sure if this will be any help in the pursuit of what's weird with Backstab experience, but here is what's happening with me, so you have another example.

This was yesterday, on ground level Manor Orc raiders and reivers, for approximately 40 minutes (2 full khri durations of Focus, Darken, Prowess and Strike), only Backstabbing, taking anything from 1 to 4 backstabs to kill each one:
Backstab: 365 79% attentive (10/34) +0.17
Melee Mastery: 301 91% mind lock (34/34) +0.25
Small Edged: 328 49% nearly locked (33/34) +0.24
Stealth: 416 45% enthralled (32/34) +0.26

This was this afternoon, after I read your post about increasing the exp gain for Backstab by a large amount. Same amount of time, same khri, but on the second level of the Manor, with the slightly tougher Raiders. Once again primarily Backstabbing, with the very occasional jab in between stalk 'n stabs to increase balance.
Backstab: 366 19% deliberative (11/34) +0.24
Melee Mastery: 305 87% nearly locked (33/34) +0.43
Small Edged: 329 20% mind lock (34/34) +0.16
Stealth: 417 11% mind lock (34/34) +0.18

So yeah, I'm not seeing any increase either. They are still working my weapons and stealth really well, but not Backstab. I have only recently come back after several year's hiatus, so I wasn't sure if I needed to be bringing up my weapon skills and finding something harder to hunt, or if it was just wonky.
(Note:Pre-3.0 I may not have been actually mind locking Backstab in that time, but it would have been pretty close, especially if the spawns were constant.)

~T.S.
Re: Backstab 01/22/2013 07:12 PM CST

>I increased it by 250%. Apparently something else is going on :/

Yeah defiantly not gaining backstabbing exp 250% faster, it does feel a little faster today than yesterday and the days after the 3.0 launch, but no way is it 250%, more like 25% at the very most, and this could be just from a lucky spawn rate, or other small changes I've made to the way I set myself up for backstabbing, like using shadowstep to get to melee with the next critter that much faster and using all hides instead of stalks to save 1 second RT every time I need to re-stealth.

>Sure, I will when I get home. Sorry this is taking so long, RL is keeping me busy this week.

We'll get there, I personally really am doing just fine in 3.0, nothing game breaking anyway is what I mean.

On one hand I wana be all "Man get in there and fix that stuff!"

On the other, you all should probably take a couple days off, worried the staff is still behind on sleep from the launch.

: )

Then you know, come back and fix that stuff... and finish the rest of the new crafting systems. rofl.
Re: Backstab 01/22/2013 08:40 PM CST

Thanks for looking into this Kodius. I noticed a small increase, but nothing major in terms of xp gain today.

Everyone appreciates everything you've done and are doing! Take all the time you want by all means!
Re: Backstab 01/23/2013 08:43 AM CST
Just an update. I fell ill yesterday and was in bed all evening. Probably expected after no sleep for 4 days :( I've passed this along to the exp guru because while I can see the problem, I've not been successful at fixing it on my first attempt. Hope to have more info this evening!

Re: Backstab 01/23/2013 09:21 AM CST
Gah, so sorry to hear that Kodius. Get rested, fed, and most importantly, fully recovered.

~Teille.
Re: Backstab 01/23/2013 10:22 AM CST
Kodius - feel better man. Looking forward to when we can use the actual Backstab verb to train backstab, but no need to make yourself sick doing it.

For training purposes, attack right eye from hiding teaches much better than the actual Backstab verb.
Re: Backstab 01/23/2013 01:39 PM CST
This should be nearly fixed. Spoke with the exp GM and it was something silly going on...

Re: Backstab 01/23/2013 03:22 PM CST

Oh my gosh. So fixed, SO very deliciously fixed.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Re: Backstab 01/23/2013 04:14 PM CST
Who turned backstabbing back off? For a few minutes there backstabbing exp was turned on a ridiculous amount, 4 kills over a total of 17 hits straight backstabbing to move 808 backstabbing from clear to mind locked against head-splitters and now I can barely maintain the learning level by attacking their right eye. There's got to be a middle ground there somewhere. Thanks
Re: Backstab 01/23/2013 04:28 PM CST

darn sounds like I missed the backstabbing power hour

currently backstabbing in prime and getting the same old gains that I have for about 6 years now

I'd be lying if I wasn't thinking... gee does this mean that backstabbing exp has always had something wrong with it, because a lot of us have said over the years that there was, only to be shot down repeatedly. Which of course then makes me cringe a little because if it was on par with my other survivals I'd probably have another 200 ranks in it.

Oh well, hope someone is able to finally lock this thing down.
Re: Backstab 01/23/2013 06:55 PM CST

As at 7:45pm EST, it's still working like a dream for me. Really nice experience gain, in fact. For the first time ever, I have to keep killing middle level Orc Raiders after my Backstab (368) gets locked, to get Stealth (420) to the same state. Still managing to mind lock SE/MM/BS and Stealth in one khri rotation though. I am loving it.

Might be just because I'm working with a lot lower ranks than most of you guys, or did the Backstab hour of power start up again?

~T.S.
Re: Backstab 01/23/2013 09:57 PM CST
>As at 7:45pm EST, it's still working like a dream for me. Really nice experience gain, in fact.

Either I missed it again, or there is defiantly still a problem at higher ranks, still training the exact same pace as its always been, right now at 9:54pm CDT
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 02:12 AM CST
You need to hunt something challenging for your Backstab skill. The new Critter Appraise will tell you how well something will teach for your held weapon, so that might be a guide. The entire exp model for it was rewritten to act like a weapon, with a temporary small bonus applied to compensate folks for the lost time.

Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 02:41 AM CST

There isn't anywhere else for me to hunt with my backstab ranks besides DP Assassins or Adult Armadillos I'm still hundreds of ranks short of starting in the next tier, so if you have another suggestion for where to go for a challenge I'm all ears.

Again its not that I can't train, but I'm still not seeing this 250% increase or any increase at all, thats all I've been posting about.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 03:16 AM CST
Kodius, I have a problem with that. If it was rewritten to act like a weapon, why is my barbarian with 650 small edge getting consistently harder hits, and killing a lot faster, than I am with 808 backstabbing ranks when hunting the same thing? The numbers don't add up. It's rare if I get above a powerful hit on a head-splitter with those ranks while the barbarian is constantly getting hits harder than that. All this back and forth about backstab experience when as a whole it's just not hitting as it should, PERIOD. I've offered my time to try to figure it out and no one's taken me up on it. So either your too busy with everything else 3.0, which includes just about everything not thief related, or you just don't care. Thieves get left out and then nerfed. Love it. Thanks a bunch.

- Reihn
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 03:47 AM CST
<<You need to hunt something challenging for your Backstab skill.>>

For critters that you can't actually backstab, attack bodypart <from hiding>, which used to teach backstab, does not teach backstab on maulers/warklins. This is with 465 Small edged <which trains just fine> and 455 backstab. And when I appraise them they are a challenging opponent.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 07:56 AM CST
>>Kodius, I have a problem with that. If it was rewritten to act like a weapon, why is my barbarian with 650 small edge getting consistently harder hits, and killing a lot faster, than I am with 808 backstabbing ranks when hunting the same thing? The numbers don't add up. It's rare if I get above a powerful hit on a head-splitter with those ranks while the barbarian is constantly getting hits harder than that. All this back and forth about backstab experience when as a whole it's just not hitting as it should, PERIOD. I've offered my time to try to figure it out and no one's taken me up on it. So either your too busy with everything else 3.0, which includes just about everything not thief related, or you just don't care. Thieves get left out and then nerfed. Love it. Thanks a bunch.

So, I'm clearly not Kodius, and I can't speak for him - but I do speak as someone who does a lot of free lance work all over the game and over many guilds. Posts like this one? They don't result in guild improvements. They result in me thinking "You know what? I'll work on one of the other 50 projects I've got on my plate and deal with backstab later". They result in "I know I've literally done 100s of script edits this week, logged an entire 40 hour work week working on DR or more outside of my normal job... I'm going to go watch some TV or do anything that's not DR development instead of work on backstab."

Please remember that you are dealing with people here, and while in an ideal world we'd have enough staff to do everything we want - we just don't. Don't mistake this for a threat, I'm stating a simple fact: Man-hours are by far the most precious commodity we have on the development team and there's always some other high priority project or other that could use our time when one project starts to become too bothersome for whatever reason.

Keep that in mind.

As for Kodius, I've seen the staggering amount of work he does across the entire game, the absurd hours he puts in, and I've seen, in specific, how much time he's been spending with Backstab getting it right lately. You need to cut him some slack and think about wording your posts in a constructive way or stop hitting the post button.

Is everything in 3.0 perfect? Of course not. Is it going to be in the near future? Not really, but we're working on it. Overall, a few stray examples like the above aside, the response of the community since we've launched this behemoth project has been spectacular and I'd like to thank all those people for it. It really does make it all worth it.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Prev_page Previous 1