Best weapon for backstab 07/24/2010 09:20 PM CDT
What are the best store bought weapons for backstabing? Right now I am using a rapier and a misericorde.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/24/2010 11:36 PM CDT
<<What are the best store bought weapons for backstabing? Right now I am using a rapier and a misericorde. ~Sulakhan>>

You are certain that the short sword is somewhat stronger than the balanced tago.
You are certain that the short sword is a lot less balanced than the balanced tago.
You are certain that the short sword is a little more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the balanced tago.
You are certain that the short sword does about as much puncture damage as the balanced tago.
You are certain that the short sword does about as much slice damage as the balanced tago.
You are certain that the short sword does about as much impact damage as the balanced tago.
You are certain that the short sword weighs a lot more than the balanced tago.

You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya is a little stronger than the balanced tago.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya is a lot less balanced than the balanced tago.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya is somewhat more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the balanced tago.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya does about as much puncture damage as the balanced tago.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya does a little more slice damage than the balanced tago.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya does about as much impact damage as the balanced tago.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya weighs a lot more than the balanced tago.

You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya is a little weaker than the short sword.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya is a little less balanced than the short sword.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya is a little more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the short sword.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya does a little less puncture damage than the short sword.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya does somewhat more slice damage than the short sword.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya does about as much impact damage as the short sword.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya weighs about the same as the short sword.

For LE these three are commonly recommended. They will all do well.

The tago is definitely the most balanced but cost a couple plat or so in the Crossing Trader shop.

Jambiya is free off a maelshyvean shadow beast. Ciressa in Riverhaven sometimes has them in her freebies box. Jambiya is the best slicer, so if you pick it you'll have a jabber and slicer in one.

The short sword in the above comparisons is the stout short sword from the Dirge weapon shop. It costs a few silvers. I use it because I like the sturdiness and it's less of a hassle to replace. It's almost always killed critters in a shot or two all the way up the creature ladder using backstab, so no complaints there.

http://www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

You get a stout short sword from inside your thigh quiver.
You cut yourself a white liana flower with your sword.
You place a white liana flower in your hair.
You say, "What a beautiful place."
A vile plague wraith glides into view, carefully searching for intruders.
You glance at a vile plague wraith.
A vile plague wraith rears back and slowly draws in a deep breath before lurching forward to regurgitate a swarm of scorpions at you!
You manage to block the deadly rain of scorpions with your damaska-hide buckler.
You frown.
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/25/2010 10:27 AM CDT
I addition to what Kaxis recommended, I also like the steel shriike from Knife Clan. Don't have one on me so I can't post stats.

For store bought ME I'd use an acid-etched sabre from Fiona's in Shard.

~Minstrel Ascot, Musician of M'riss
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/25/2010 02:34 PM CDT
Thanks for the responses, great help.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/26/2010 12:50 AM CDT
Depends if you want it for killing or training
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/26/2010 02:44 PM CDT
It also depends on how your skills stack up relative to the creature. If you have an easy time hitting them, you want a weapon with high puncture damage. If you sometimes miss, balance is more important. For training, I'd probably focus on balance as well, but it depends on the individual circumstances.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/18/2011 09:20 PM CDT
So, basically, with backstab you want to get the most balance you can, followed by the most pierce?
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 08:30 AM CDT
That has always been my understanding yes.

You are certain that it could do:
moderate (7/25) puncture damage
low (3/25) slice damage
poor (2/25) impact damage

You are certain that the stiletto is superbly (11/13) balanced and is terribly (1/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the steel stiletto is appreciably susceptible to damage (7/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

somewhat moderate (6/25) puncture damage
somewhat fair (4/25) slice damage
dismal (1/25) impact damage

You are certain that the misericorde is incredibly (12/13) balanced and is not (0/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the steel misericorde is appreciably susceptible to damage (7/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

Those are the 2 weapons I have been using lately 11 stones each if I remember.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BearTrap
Traps, coming soon to DR.
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 09:25 AM CDT
This was the fade weapon:

A sleek black briquet set with ox-blood coral in the pommel is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
The black briquet is well suited for backstabbing.

moderate puncture damage
low slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the briquet is soundly balanced and is inadequately suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You estimate that the black briquet weighs around 10 stones.
You are certain that the black briquet is worth exactly 218750 kronars.

this was the katar sold by the necromancer in recent fest, something i've always wanted ever since majorly had a katar that backstabbed:

>appr my katar

A twisted katar is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
The twisted katar is well suited for backstabbing.

somewhat moderate puncture damage
somewhat fair slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the katar is well balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the twisted katar is rather reinforced against damage, and is in pristine condition.

The twisted katar is made with metal.
You guess that the twisted katar probably weighs a few stones.
You are certain that the twisted katar is worth exactly 250000 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Both of 'em are sweet stabbers.

>

War is Peace, Truth is Lies. -george orwell
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 11:53 AM CDT
Kaxis,

What about 66% Glaes, 33% Audrualm?

Density would still be 3.0, while hardness would be 76.66 in your old Glaes mix to 93.33.

Basically, the same balance as before but with the slightly-more puncture of the Kerrtig/Haralun weapons.
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 12:02 PM CDT
Audrualm isn't obtainable yet.

You could get glaes down to 3.1 with a 70% glaes 30% oravir mix. You could get it lower if you pushed closer to the 67%/33% setup, but it might not be worth doing if you're only making a very low volume item.
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 12:42 PM CDT
> What about 66% Glaes, 33% Audrualm?

I don't think I understand the point of using an ultra-rare metal like audrualm and not have enough of it in the mix to effect stats.

- Tyr, player of

Grolig exclaims, "Silly Paladin!"
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 03:38 PM CDT
pureblade,

kaxis posted his mix which was essentially 2/3 glaes 1/3 oravir, which is what i was commenting on

tyr,
The small amount of Audrualm (2 stones worth!) would affect stats. If you look at Kaxis's post, the 6 stone glaes/oravir mix had better balance due to lower density, but because of the lower hardness it had less puncture as evident by the comparisons. Using a Glaes/Audrualm mix would allow you to get the low weight (and thus good balance) and still have good hardness (and thus puncture). Fair?
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 03:57 PM CDT
>>kaxis posted his mix which was essentially 2/3 glaes 1/3 oravir, which is what i was commenting on

Ah, didn't spot that it was already part oravir.

>>The small amount of Audrualm (2 stones worth!) would affect stats. If you look at Kaxis's post, the 6 stone glaes/oravir mix had better balance due to lower density, but because of the lower hardness it had less puncture as evident by the comparisons. Using a Glaes/Audrualm mix would allow you to get the low weight (and thus good balance) and still have good hardness (and thus puncture). Fair?

It wasn't an alloy, though. The oravir would only have its stats influence the stats of the glaes if enough was put in to make it into an alloy. If that was the case, it would have been called a glaes-alloy telek.

Alloys only happen when 1/3rd of the metal isn't the base metal. That's why the OP added 32% of oravir; to avoid that from happening.
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 04:29 PM CDT
So at less than 33%, none of the stats are affected except density?

In other words, the hardness of a 68/32 Glaes/Oravir mixture is the same as the hardness of a 100% Glaes mixture? If so...cool. But weird.
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 04:31 PM CDT
I saw Kodius post that weight allows for more "damage" points (puncture, slice, impact) to be distributed.

What determines how many balance/suitedness "points" are distributed? Not what the distribution is (seems that lighter means more balance, heavier means more suited) but how many total points are distributed.

thanks for help, btw
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 05:45 PM CDT
I would assume the template modified by the metal

Illimin
Re: Best weapon for backstab 07/19/2011 05:53 PM CDT
>I would assume the template modified by the metal

This, as far as I can tell.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet: