help me train backstab? 01/26/2010 09:53 AM CST
So, my little thief is trying to make backstab one of his main skills, but it's not going well so far. I can't seem to get my backstab moving that well. Here's my skills:

Hiding: 52 82.65%
Stalking: 52 98.41%
Backstab: 37 33.84%
Light Edged: 48 90.83%
Leather Armor: 42 90.20%

and my hinderance:
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently minimally hindered and your stealth is fairly hindered.

I've been trying to backstab goblin shamans and whatever the goblins with them are. I can backstab the goblins, but the shaman I always just thrust at. Do I need to step down to something else, or should I try sans armor?
Re: help me train backstab? 01/26/2010 10:24 AM CST
Are you actually typing backstab or are you using ambushing?

You drop some gum.

Jaedren picks up some dirt-coated gum.

Jaedren begins chewing the gum.

Jaedren suddenly fades away.

You say, "Oh gross."
Re: help me train backstab? 01/26/2010 10:25 AM CST
I'm backstabbing. Does ambush even teach backstab?
Re: help me train backstab? 01/26/2010 10:36 AM CST
Yes, and much better.

Look here for a body part list: http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Backstab_skill

Use the normal weapon combo for whichever melee weapons you are training (I use ME, HE, 2HE and Brawling to train) and start with the easiest body part (legs I think) and do COMBO BODYPART.

If you're getting a lot of masterfully positioned messages, try a harder body part until you start failing.

You drop some gum.

You say, "Oh gross."
Re: help me train backstab? 01/26/2010 10:38 AM CST
I had no idea. I'll give that a try and come back with the results...
Re: help me train backstab? 01/26/2010 12:13 PM CST
<<So, my little thief is trying to make backstab one of his main skills, but it's not going well so far. I can't seem to get my backstab moving that well.>>

Give ghouls in the crypt a chance. When I was at that level they taught stealth higher than other combat skills. I'm pretty sure backstab was the highest of my three stealth skills back then. I'm not sure it's still that way, but it's worth a look. It's dark in there, but you don't need a light as long as you know the layout of the place. Ghouls give you skinning and boxes as well.

A voice of a loved one weeps from the mist, "Help me...help me please...."

Mocking laughter echoes up from beyond the mist!

You hear a motherly voice cry from the mist, "...my child...please...rescue me...they have my soul!"
Re: help me train backstab? 01/26/2010 12:26 PM CST
Well ambushing moved it faster. Not quite as fast as hiding and stalking, but better. Maybe I just need to experiment more to find the sweet spot. I'll give ghouls a try, too.
Re: help me train backstab? 01/26/2010 12:35 PM CST
It might also be worth trying shamans with out armor as you still have not inconsiderable stealth hinderance with your understandably low armor ranks.
Re: help me train backstab? 01/26/2010 12:55 PM CST
>>Well ambushing moved it faster. Not quite as fast as hiding and stalking, but better.

It will probably stay behind a bit, but hey we still currently don't have to worry about mindstate, so once those lock just keep working backstab until it is too.

I actually stop stalking once it locks, just hide and ambush part.

It may also get better when your hiding/stalking roundtimes drop off a bit more.

You drop some gum.

You say, "Oh gross."