Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: The hard knock life 08/13/2002 09:44 PM CDT
>>But wait what am I saying you don't want to go to TF is
because the way you want to rp will get you walk faster than you can say mother..gotcha

Actually, I very much dislike the OOC content in TF, the fact you can talk OOC and a bunch of other OOC things. I also don't like scripting all that much.

Kellory, you're making it sound as if well, at least I'm asking for no penalty for going out and killing people. Half the fun is trying to find "Who did it". Would I expect to get walked and killed...of course. But I also want a reasonable chance to stay hidden as long as possible before I get my "come uppens".

Part of the problem with playing a "Killer villain" is that there is no chance for survival. Therefor, what good is it to play one? it's not even no chance for survival...it's the fact you wouldn't be able to do it long enough to have any kinda RP event.

Yeah, I know alot of snerts would like this...which means this won't ever happen, doesn't mean I still wouldn't like it.

The only villain you could be in DR with the same "dispise" you could get elsewhere isn't even in killing. It's GRing.

Dark Angel Crusinix
Re: The hard knock life 08/13/2002 09:49 PM CDT
You could probably do it--and do it well--in plat. If ya cleared it with folks ahead of time there would be plenty willing to RP it with you.

The only thing you Would have to deal with would be the auto-lock from killing 2 people. That still works over there. But like I said, if you cleared it with folks, you would be very unlikely to be reported.

there was someone who did an excellant job as a villian there a number of years ago, who was a paladin over here. and that was Torque d'Sade.
Re: The hard knock life 08/13/2002 10:15 PM CDT
>Kellory, you're making it sound as if well, at least I'm asking for no penalty for going out and killing people. Half the fun is trying to find "Who did it". Would I expect to get walked and killed...of course. But I also want a reasonable chance to stay hidden as long as possible before I get my "come uppens".

It wouldn't be a problem if good RPer have that ability, but the problem is when snert got the same ability too. There are many other way to RPing a Villains(most of the people who are villains doesn't even think of themself as bad), It doesn't have to be a out all kill fest, I have play a villain character twince since 97 and those involve in the two event greatly enjoy themself without anyone dying(violence yes dying no).

Kellory scholar of the arcane
Re: The hard knock life 08/13/2002 10:20 PM CDT
>>But wait what am I saying you don't want to go to TF is because the way you want to rp will get you walk faster than you can say mother..gotcha

Mother.

Number one if you tried to get together a little hurt crew of people that came after someone to "walk" them if you think for a moment that there would be people that would come to the aid of the "villian". Remember, where there is one there are others that don't follow the path of goodness. What you are saying therefore equates to the majority of trash that comes out of your mouth. Which in effect is crap. If you want to have a conflict then by god lets have one, but not in here. I am fairly certain that this board is meant for the spreading of ideas on how to Roleplay a villian. Not for some petty trash talking coming from some wannabe scholar.

~Ternith Sjomah, free agent
Re: The hard knock life 08/14/2002 02:09 PM CDT
Well after this whole thread I can see it went no where.

My whole point was, there are lots of avenues to RP a really good villain. I have as a player always been known for being Evil. I have also been known for Player Killings. I have never randomly killed anyone. Most of the time, I try and start some sort of conflict to RP something out of it. I enjoyed earlier on in DR when a group of Goodie Goodies would chase Arctuniol all over. I ended up dead alot but I always got my licks in.

Like I said, robbing caravans on the trade routes. Doing things like Trapping people in snares in the wild and torturing them.

Trying to convince people to join the dark side and over throw a government. Or hold a city hostage. The ultimate thing I would love to do is take over the Mentory Mansion and hold soem mentors hostage until a group of highly skilled paladins come and take us out. There are countless ways to RP some sort of evil without killing. The problem is things never stay RP. Most of the time people report for harrasement or report for whatever.

Arctuniol
Re: The hard knock life 08/14/2002 02:51 PM CDT
Arc, your play.net addy updated?
Re: The hard knock life 08/14/2002 02:53 PM CDT
Let me check. It will be in about 4 minutes.

Arctuniol
Re: The hard knock life 08/15/2002 04:07 PM CDT
>Trying to convince people to join the dark side and over throw a government. Or hold a city hostage. The ultimate thing I would love to do is take over the Mentory Mansion and hold soem mentors hostage until a group of highly skilled paladins come and take us out. There are countless ways to RP some sort of evil without killing. The problem is things never stay RP. Most of the time people report for harrasement or report for whatever.<

Absolutely, there are countless ways to RP evil but I also feel that the games boundaries and the general makeup of the game have created an population of heroes all trying to get a piece of the spotlight. DR has created a kind of Pavlov's dog type of reaction in players where anything even remotely evil or dark in nature surfaces, and everyone and their grandmother is out to put a stop to it. Now granted you may find an empath or two around saying "Stop the violence" but generally speaking, just like in most stereotypical movies and books that have an evil or dark side to them, evil is known to undo itself.

So in most stereotypical cases in good vs. evil, either the evil is so powerful as to balance out the greater number of good or the number of evil people or things is greater but good finds a way to overcome it by either turning evil against itself or finding a weakness somewhere because evil is often known as thinking itself too powerful to think about some of the minute things that could lead to its destruction. No matter which way you look at it though, because of the way DR works and it's people think, its just not possible to be evil unless you want a quick trip to the void.

For the most part I can agree with how evil would undo itself due to the values or lack thereof that it follows. Greed, hate, envy, etc. As just because someone comes along thats just as greedy as you are doesn't mean that there is an instant love connection. Because distrust is among the values or lack thereof that are inclusive of being evil.

Dark on the other hand is a different entity altogether. Because being dark in nature simply defines a person that does not always look at things optimisticly. While someone may see the sunrise and want to smell the roses, someone else might find more comfort when night falls and the business of the day is at rest. They usually don't give a damn about who thinks what is morally correct or how people percieve them. I would tend to believe that dark natured characters do what they personally deem to be the right action for any given situation rather than say an evil person who may kill for the enjoyment, or a good person who would do whatever it took not to kill someone. The problem is that also would define just about any snert who runs around doing whatever they please. I have usually found though that dark natured characters are driven by personal hardship.

I think there should be a Dark based order that may be smart enough to realize that a group of people who all of the sudden come out of nowhere after who knows how long, to pronounce themselves the ruling nobles of Elanthia is rediculous. Whom realize that the gods have aspects to balance light AND darkness. Whom are able to look beyond the surface of any given situation for the true nature of the issue or problem or person.

Just my thoughts.

Krymson
Re: The hard knock life 08/15/2002 04:19 PM CDT
I would love to see a dark order, as I would love to see more expanded playablity for both dark characters and evil characters.

Arctuniol
Re: The hard knock life 08/16/2002 07:44 AM CDT
>I ended up dead alot but I always got my licks in.

I seem to remember dragging you once...and getting ten whispers of, 'He's evil! Run away!'. Always amused me.

If you ever need a punching bag...Kilan's usually in Crossing. Except for right now, since he's(well...was..) defending HomeTown #4(RiverHaven).

-Chris, player of Mad Mage Kilan
Re: The hard knock life 08/16/2002 12:03 PM CDT
I would say that to take on such a project it would take an extreme amount of scrutiny in the applicants to such an order or clan way beyond that of your every day order. The truth is you start talking about an evil or dark based order and you get every sword happy CvC power gamer who see a new chance to start up a fantasy based italian or cecilian mafia.

That type of scrutiny in itself makes creating such an order a tough thing to do. But I do have knowlege that the gurus are getting tired of seeing the same old "Protect Elanthia" motto.

Krymson
Re: The hard knock life 08/16/2002 06:59 PM CDT
Well, if you ever decide to, find me, I would be more then willing to dump my two cents in and see what could get off the ground.

Arctuniol
Re: The hard knock life 08/16/2002 09:33 PM CDT
hmmmm....ditto to what Arctuniol said.

~Ternith Sjomah
Re: The hard knock life 08/19/2002 03:54 PM CDT
It doesn't sound that bad.. perhaps it would be hard, but not impossible such as other goals we undertake these days. Interesting..

Kulk
Re: The hard knock life 09/01/2002 03:51 PM CDT
Yeah I know this thread is old but bad Venshen for not reading it earlier. I would also be very interested in whatever information group or events you decide to put togather as well as talking with both Arct (sp) and Krymson about their thoughts on how to roleplay a dark/evil character and still stay within the bounds of policy and avoid having everyone whose name starts with the letter(s) A-Z out to get me.

Send a bird over to me at Akain17 or respond to my playnet address it's accurate.

Venshen

~RP should not be dictated by circle or skills~
Re: The hard knock life 09/03/2002 09:33 AM CDT
I always have someone with the letter A-Z out to get me. Most just have failed. Some actually do.

Arctuniol
Re: The hard knock life 11/04/2002 09:51 AM CST
torture? ... that is way over the edge. moving into the realm of sick.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page