Embers of Sanyu Aes 12/26/2021 10:55 AM CST

Tirost dismounted in the waning anlasaen of the night. A stable hand took the reins of the horse, and lead it away to the stable. "This way," said Erdregar. Tirost followed the paladin, his black mantle sweeping just above the cobblestones of the courtyard. The pair passed by two armored guards and into the Denesal estate.

Torches lit the hall that widened into a great chamber. A man and woman dressed in silks stood in the company of a few trusted house guards, each bearing crests of a silver moon against a field of green. The Lord and Lady of House Denesal looked weary, as if they had not slept in some time.

"My Lord," said Erdregar, bowing stiffly in his armor. "This is Tirost Armagna, Knight Magister of Meraud." The eyes of Lord Liev and Lady Emmilyn passed to the warrior mage. Tirost bowed.

"Welcome, Tirost," said Liev in a measured voice. His brown eyes surveyed the human before him. "I have summoned you to give an account of the assault on the Basalt Isle. You were present, were you not?"

"I was, Lord, but there are others whom you - "

"Do you feel the assault was justified?" interrupted Liev.

"Justified, Lord?" asked Tirost.

"Warranted – do you feel it was the right course of action to deal with the threat Jeihrem and his ilk pose to the people of the Zoluren and our allies?"

Tirost hesitated. His eyes passed from Liev to Emmilyn. The nobles conveyed little in their expressions. Years spent in the Zoluren court had made them subtle.

"It was warranted, but it is not the action I would have chosen," Tirost replied.

"Why not?" asked Liev. "House Theren, House Moglin and the Ferdahl sent ships. You doubt their decision?" The lord's voice was steady, but unyielding.

"I was not in their councils, Lord," replied Tirost. His silver-flecked blue eyes studied Liev's face, searching for a trap. "I did not believe that Sanyu Aes alone would be enough to destroy Jeihrem, and it was not."

"And why did you suspect it would fail?" Liev gestured to a nearby servant, who delivered cups of steaming coffee to the lord and lady. Liev took a sip.

"The weapon had been used before, and Sivroch has demonstrated the ability to enter the minds of her victims, Zauldin's among them. She and Jeihrem had time to prepare," replied Tirost. He accepted a cup of coffee from the servant with a brief word of thanks.

"So you would have done nothing?" asked Liev.

"I would have sought more allies," replied Tirost.

"Necromancers, you mean," said Liev.

"Yes," replied Tirost.

"Your association with those heathens has not gone unnoticed, Tirost," said Emmilyn. "Mother Whiteburn has conveyed her suspicions with regard to your faith more than once."

"Whiteburn is a weapon, not a counselor, My Lady," said Tirost.

"Watch your tongue," growled Erdregar, as the paladin's hand fell to the hilt of his sword.

"The so called Redeemed and some others were a part of the mission," interjected Liev. "You believe more necromancers would have fared better against Jeihrem than the holy army bearing Sanyu Aes?" he asked, and took another sip of coffee.

"The Philosophers were tolerated, not consulted," said Tirost. "It is said that Jeihrem was banished to that island and held there by Book's magic, by necromancy. If we had approached the Philosophers for aid - "

"Blasphemy!" roared Erdregar. A look of approval passed over Emmilyn's features, and she nodded in agreement with the paladin.

"Who told you Jeihrem was bound to the Basalt Isle?" asked Liev. "Yvela Vorhalt? She is manipulating you, Tirost. She is an apostate."

Tirost's eyes remained unwaveringly on those of the Denesal lord. "We failed to destroy Jeihrem. Zauldin is gone, but there is much we have learned."

"He is under the necromancer's power, Lord," said Erdregar. "Let us imprison him, and summon the Inquisition."

Liev raised his hand, silencing the paladin. He passed his coffee to the servant. "What have you learned?" he asked, taking a step close to Tirost. Erdregar frowned.

"The names, and domains of influence, of several of the greater demons," replied the warrior mage. "The fissure in our plane into which Zauldin was thrown: a waste of starving, ravenous beings, devoid of color, light or peace."

Both Liev and Emmilyn listened attentively. The lord turned briefly to pass a knowing look to his wife before Tirost continued.

"The Sanyu Aes weapon was not a weapon that used one form of energy to transform another, the way an elementalist incinerates an enemy with fire." Tirost took a sip of his coffee. "It affected what was possible beneath its banner: the limits of magic, of what could, and could not exist - the fundamental laws of our plane."

In the hall there was silence for a time. "Can it be replicated?" asked Emmilyn.

"That is a question for Commodore Khoheke, My Lady. All I can say is that the weapon was able to reform laws of our plane that had been altered by sorcery. That is a reason for hope," replied Tirost, "but Jeihrem was able to resist the effects of a weapon powered by the souls of many of the most powerful living paladins for a time, and so there remains a contest of power that will decide our fate in the end."

Liev frowned. "You are certain the lich has survived? I am told his body was destroyed."

"I am not certain," replied Tirost, "but it is highly likely."

"And if you were to give council as to the next steps to take in dealing with the scourge of necromancy?" asked the lord.

"I council reaching out to the Philosophers, Lord. They were instrumental in destroying Lyras and Maelshyve. Their help might allow a weapon like Sanyu Aes to have even greater effect. It is likely Zauldin's insights improved the weapon considerably. "

"Wouldn't a weapon that rejects sorcery affect Philosophers too?" asked Liev.

Tirost nodded. "Possibly, but those who study under Book are more subtle and aware of the consequences of necromancy, though I cannot speak for them."

Erdregar snorted dismissively. "Lord, let us speak to Sir Khoheke and rid ourselves of all necromancers. It worked on Jeihrem. It will work on them all."

Liev and Emmilyn's faces were unreadable. "This Sivroch creature has remained weakened and dormant?" asked the lord.

Tirost shifted his weight. "That is a question for the Court Mage of Ilithi," he replied softly.