Brave New World 10/17/2018 06:57 PM CDT
So, I find myself returning to this game after a very long hiatus and honestly have no idea where I should begin or what I should do. I played in prime for quite a while, two characters into their 80's, but I never really took part in much socializing. I played TF for a year or so, but again, pretty much stuck to myself. I've considered giving Plat a shot, but it seemed rather solitary the last time I was there and I really want to be involved in things this time around.

So, what's good? I'm still trying to decide whether it would be better to roll a new character or try to figure out how to play an old one. Seems a LOT has changed in my absence and I'm no longer at the average player level range anymore. It might be easier to just start over and hope to meet people on the way. I tend to level rather quickly, though, so that might not work in the long run. Crippling indecision, I've missed you.

I've read a lot on the forums, but so much has changed, a lot of the releases that came out in my absence have seen multiple iterations. I'm open to any suggestions.
Re: Brave New World 10/17/2018 07:25 PM CDT
When I came back to playing after a long break, I started a new body, which was probably very helpful, because I got to learn the "now" way of things from the ground up that way. (It also loaned me a bit of invisibility to let me learn things on my own without anyone feeling influenced one way or another if they knew my PCs from the old days.)

Of course, it didn't take too much time before I had the old accounts open and I transferred my new self to one of them so...

Other people come back and jump right into the player Discords and get tips and tricks there and have that help through the "culture shock" of Elanthia today.

Either way seems to work out fine. Maybe try a little of both? :)

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Brave New World 10/17/2018 09:22 PM CDT
I would suggest creating at least one new character. This will give you the chance to re-learn how the game works.

Once you spend a few weeks doing that, consider hopping back to your old characters. But it's not mandatory - there's a lot of catching up you'll have to do regarding skills and spells and even gear (old best isn't new best except when it is but that's rare).

Playing a new character gives you a chance to pick up a lot of that organically, and progression through the game is a bit faster than it used to be.

I'd also suggest hanging out in the general DR discord, and possibly a guild-specific one.
Re: Brave New World 10/18/2018 08:55 AM CDT
Yeah, there's no rush. I think I'm just going to roll a new guy, as suggested, and explore for a bit before making any serious commitments to training. This game has changed so much, it's almost overwhelming.