Non combat DR 04/26/2017 06:05 PM CDT
I've been doing some thinking about this lately. And I think one of the reasons DR has sort of fallen off for me, is that everything is resolved by combat, player (not character) skill, or simple non-skill RP.

There's never a chance on a quest or event for lockpicking, stealth, or thievery, to solve something. Or for a crafting skill to help assemble something. Or for scholarship to provide solutions to horrible multi-part flower puzzles and ghost-names. It's always just IRC chatroom or punches.

Which is fun to some extent, because punching things is in fact enjoyable. But it puts so much onus on damage output and other features, or puts it down to which player can buy the best scripts or has an education in theoretical math. It would be nice for non-combat skills to actually do something.
Re: Non combat DR 04/26/2017 07:03 PM CDT
I agree too much is resolved or dealt with via combat.

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Bertrand Russell
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=love
Re: Non combat DR 04/26/2017 08:12 PM CDT
I get what you're saying. I completely agree with it. I would love more events that has alternatives to combat. Maybe even both directions based on player actions. Friendly players get non-combat tasks, or they can just murder the quest giver and their friends for a combat option. Best of both worlds.

> There's never a chance on a quest or event for lockpicking, stealth, or thievery, to solve something.

That said, Ulf'hara did have this to some extent. Again, I would love to see more, but never is too strong.

> Or for a crafting skill to help assemble something. Or for scholarship to provide solutions to horrible multi-part flower puzzles and ghost-names.

I love both of these ideas, and didn't the corn maze improve with skill checks? Something like that to speed up quests would be nice too.

> It's always just IRC chatroom or punches.

Again, I agree, but always is too strong.

- Puzzles in the tower quest.
- A great majority of the ghost ship quest.
- Ulf'hara had a good empath, non-combat option.
- Droughtman's wasn't really combat centric.
- Taisdon had a gathering aspect.
Re: Non combat DR 04/26/2017 08:53 PM CDT
Personally,

I have a fairly large character but I don't engage in killing a vast majority of the time I think you aren't hanging out with the right people if this is happening too frequently.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Non combat DR 04/26/2017 09:00 PM CDT
Combat is a freestanding mechanic that can be inserted into any situation. Stealing and most other skills have no such functionality and require, at the least, new scripts and arcane to be written.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 05:16 AM CDT
World events frequently involve large chunks of entirely non-combat activities, even ones that take into account character (not player) non-combat skills.

Sometimes only characters with certain level of perception will find out pieces of information or hidden places (this has happened several times during recent Elpalzi events, and I can name multiple other events over the years where this was used as well).

Sometimes stealth skills are factored in to a character trying to sneak somewhere to complete an objective for the event without being noticed by the enemy.

Sometimes characters with crafting skills get called on to create supplies that will be used in the combat part of an event by NPCs (this happened in Crossing just this last weekend, actually).

Sometimes a character might need to pick a locked chest to uncover an item.

Sometimes a character might have an item that they decide to try to use, and it ends up letting them do something in the event that otherwise wouldn't have happened or been uncovered (This also happened just recently during some of the Elpalzi events).

World events can be really dynamic about this sort of thing, and since we're a game that doesn't have mech calculations out in your face every time they happen, it can be difficult for players to notice that this is indeed what is going on sometimes.

For paid events, things can get a little more dicey because we're required to design them to be doable by pretty much anyone of any guild at any circle. This is why you do see non-combat tasks in many of them, but they tend to be outnumbered by combat tasks since combat is in many ways the great equalizer in DR. You could easily end up not having someone with enough lockpicking/stealth/forging/etc in your paid quest group, but with combat, we have things like flex mechs that at least begin to make fighting accessible to any and every player who might pay to go along.

-Persida
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 07:17 AM CDT

It sounds like there's a lot of interesting things happening with the Elpalzi event. Too bad nobody involved is posting about it or talking about it in game beyond lame gweth taunts about Geva belonging in the kitchen or smelling bad.
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 08:17 AM CDT

> It sounds like there's a lot of interesting things happening with the Elpalzi event. Too bad nobody involved is posting about it or talking about it in game beyond lame gweth taunts about Geva belonging in the kitchen or smelling bad.

That was my thought as well. Can the GMs keep a running blotter on the forums or elanthipedia, with a link from the homepage? Even an OOC announcement would be helpful as it feels like all of the event changes are happening in isolated vacuums.

Something along the lines of...

4/20 - [character's name] found a cryptic note on a dead Elpazi warrior.
4/21 - Moon mages across the realms are reporting strange visions as they wake up.
4/22 - [character and character] overheard secret plans from an elpazi foot soldier.

At the least, something like this would keep everyone up to date. In a perfect world, it would encourage players to seek out other players they may not normally have contact with for the purpose of learning about the event.
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 08:32 AM CDT

>PERSIDA: Skills involved in Events.

While I appreciate that you included Crafting Skills and Skills that aren't simply 'do damage to a thing', I think we're all on the same page in pointing out that perception, stealth, and locks are all combat related skills. One of the things that I appreciated about DR originally was the option for two guilds to not need to do combat at all. And, one of the things I appreciated about the way it grew was that those two guilds were given very effective combat options.

Personally, I think that combat trains too many skills, which given the TDP paradigm means that most people are going to focus on combat over anything else. I wish there were more things to do out of combat, but that said, don't think a combat emphasis is inherently a bad thing.
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 08:32 AM CDT

And yeah, an OOC or even gweth messaging about updates would be a great way to keep people involved!
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 08:58 AM CDT

<<It sounds like there's a lot of interesting things happening with the Elpalzi event. Too bad nobody involved is posting about it

So much this!
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 09:21 AM CDT

>Can the GMs keep a running blotter on the forums or elanthipedia, with a link from the homepage? Even an OOC announcement would be helpful as it feels like all of the event changes are happening in isolated vacuums.

While I don't think it should rely on the GMs, it would be nice if, when an event concludes (and that's an optimistic 'when' since some of these things seem to never end), the contributing event GMs see that the characters involved have been hoarding information, they could post a summary and perhaps not include those characters again. There are certain events which do need to be kept quiet during the course of an event so I wouldn't really be in favor of broad announcements naming names and details of secret meetings while something is ongoing, but what's the harm in posting SOMETHING once everything is done? Or summaries when things are ongoing?

We posted it when we found a note the Elpalzi dropped, and after some pushing I was told in IMs that other people had found them as well. One of them posted on reddit, which not everyone reads, but at least one person was willing to share. Where is everyone else? Zoluren has a terrible reputation for information hoarding and being nearly impossible to crack into events-wise. I'd love to see this change and to see some new faces getting involved.
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 11:24 AM CDT

> While I don't think it should rely on the GMs, it would be nice if, when an event concludes (and that's an optimistic 'when' since some of these things seem to never end), the contributing event GMs see that the characters involved have been hoarding information, they could post a summary and perhaps not include those characters again. There are certain events which do need to be kept quiet during the course of an event so I wouldn't really be in favor of broad announcements naming names and details of secret meetings while something is ongoing, but what's the harm in posting SOMETHING once everything is done? Or summaries when things are ongoing?

> We posted it when we found a note the Elpalzi dropped, and after some pushing I was told in IMs that other people had found them as well. One of them posted on reddit, which not everyone reads, but at least one person was willing to share. Where is everyone else? Zoluren has a terrible reputation for information hoarding and being nearly impossible to crack into events-wise. I'd love to see this change and to see some new faces getting involved.

I think the GMs need to give the word that something has happened, and they should point out who received that rare thing. This is a prompt for players to initiate non-confrontational RP with someone that may be outside of their clique. The ROI on this could be huge.

- You're connecting the community around a shared objective.
- GMs wouldn't be the key driver of the RP incident. They give a prompt. They may hide a few easter eggs. Then they come back and see how the players expanded on their idea.
- These prompts create real-time, 24/7 RP opportunities. Most of these would transcend skill and end in something other than the bigger character smashing the little one (or being smashed by the little one's main).
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 12:01 PM CDT
I was at two of the more recent invasions, I'll post some small log snippets in a little while.
Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 02:23 PM CDT
Everything happens on the mainland. My characters are on the islands. What? Is everyone supposed to live in Crossing? What are those other provinces for then? When I'm in game all hear about is the Elpazi attacks and remarks on occasion about Geva (or whatever the name is) who I thought was a player character and didn't know he/she had anything to do with the Elpazi event up until just recently so I never paid much attention to the comments. And how are we islanders supposed to know what is going on when nearly everything happens on the mainland. DR has the events where the majority of people are, but the majority are mostly there because that's where you have nearly all the events. DR has created a self-fulfilling prophecy, while for the most part neglecting the outer provinces.

Re: Non combat DR 04/27/2017 04:19 PM CDT
>>Zoluren has a terrible reputation for information hoarding and being nearly impossible to crack into events-wise. I'd love to see this change and to see some new faces getting involved.

I'm a little surprised you say this given that the only in-game newspaper that I know of is based in Zoluren. Over the past few years we've put out about 50 articles. I've personally put a ton of effort into sharing whatever events I am a part of. The only times I do not are when either a) the event is secret, e.g. recent Necromancer events that my character had no business knowing about, or b) I'm on a break -- which I have been mostly lately. Events have also been happening outside my DR window lately, which makes it a little hard. If you could elaborate more on the barriers you see to information sharing and RP, I would be very happy to try to address them.

Furthermore, anyone with a character loyal to Zoluren and interested in fighting the Elpalzi, please feel free to get in contact with me about the latest events. I may be able to include you in some things that we are not publishing.

- Navesi

Email: navesidr [at] gmail.com
Discord: Navesi#4950
AIM: NavesiDR
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/27/2017 10:17 PM CDT
Reading over this thread, I had a thought - has anyone considered a password-protected ESP channel just for event things?

It isn't likely a perfect idea, but if there was an ESP private channel called EVENT (or what have you), you could send a thought about that relevant thing you found, or tell people where the debrief after the battle is, or stuff like that. (Shout out to a certain channel named after an NPC that some people may have used during invasions to keep triage locations off the general gweth!)

I mean, as GMs, we can (and do) tweet stuff. We put some stuff on calendars. We post here sometimes. But one complaint I have heard more than once is "We want it all IC! Don't make us go to Wiki or the boards or Twitter!"

Just kinda tossing the idea out there...

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 01:49 AM CDT
>>DR-Iocanthe: Reading over this thread, I had a thought - has anyone considered a password-protected ESP channel just for event things?

It's an interesting idea, but many of us are already on other RP-related password-protected channels, and you can only use/hear one at a time.

A second private channel "slot" would really help for things like this.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 05:05 AM CDT
I agree that this might be a good way to do things ICly, but as Isharon mentioned, many people already use a private channel and you can only be on one.

General gwething does sometimes get the job done. It feels like the gweths get used extensively for the appropriate events (e.g., big invasions, spotting a big bad).

As for more private events, sometimes people who are meeting with a GMNPC in a low-key environment don't particularly want to invite absolutely everyone to the party (especially not antagonists). Personally, during such events, I try to reach out via personal thoughts to anyone I know is trustworthy and might be interested. Unfortunately this limits me to the people I know, and I think that is the real barrier that makes such events hard to "break into". This is why I occasionally will post to OOC forums inviting people to meet and get to know Navesi, so that I can be aware of them to make later invites.

My advice to anyone looking to break into Zoluren RP in particular: become a citizen, and then get to know other citizens. Spend time with people and make your interests clear. At the very least, I can say that if you do this with Navesi I will do my best to fit you in! But I'm in a less active RP mode right now so please find others too.

- Navesi
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 07:26 AM CDT
I don't use Twitter.

I use reddit, and the forums. Having a folder for global events and updating it would be good for me. Using Twitter would be completely useless.

I don't have a problem with Twitter but no other non Dr game uses it and I've just got no interest in installing yet another always on third party application when we already have solutions that aren't used.
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 08:28 AM CDT
>>I don't have a problem with Twitter but no other non Dr game uses it and I've just got no interest in installing yet another always on third party application when we already have solutions that aren't used.

You can always just look at DR's twitter page. It's not like you need to install any app or anything for this.

I mean, I look at DR's reddit page time to time but I don't a reddit account or any reddit apps.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 08:39 AM CDT
There are also ways to get an RSS feed of a twitter account. I forget the process, but a bit of googling should make it clear. Just know that you'll be getting tweets several hours late that way.
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 08:59 AM CDT

> Reading over this thread, I had a thought - has anyone considered a password-protected ESP channel just for event things?
> It isn't likely a perfect idea, but if there was an ESP private channel called EVENT (or what have you)

I think it would be better to connect people regardless of who is playing at the time the GM makes the prompt. That's why I would encourage something that is not dependent on being in the game at a specific time. Otherwise, you could just trigger one of those rare item messages, such as what happens if you loot an ultra rare item in the prison.

> I mean, as GMs, we can (and do) tweet stuff. We put some stuff on calendars. We post here sometimes. But one complaint I have heard more than once is "We want it all IC! Don't make us go to Wiki or the boards or Twitter!"

We do have the news system in game. Can we use that to keep everyone updated? It's one of the "in your face" items that everyone sees on login.
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 09:06 AM CDT

>Iocanthe: I mean, as GMs, we can (and do) tweet stuff.

Just to confirm, you mean you tweet stuff using the official DR Twitter which automatically goes to everyone's OOC window? I think there's plenty of reason to start treating the OOC window as the 'Announcements' Window, and start sending more things there, for example, all Order announcements and the like.
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 10:23 AM CDT

>>Just to confirm, you mean you tweet stuff using the official DR Twitter

They do, yes. The @dragonrealms tweets even show up on DR's home page. Every tweet doesn't make it into the OOC window, but the time sensitive ones (certain invasions, alterers, events) do.
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 12:07 PM CDT
>>Every tweet doesn't make it into the OOC window, but the time sensitive ones (certain invasions, alterers, events) do.

AFAIK, every tweet that GMs send out to @DragonRealms using their GM-cool-folks-tools shows up in the specific instance they're meant to be addressing. I don't think your typical GMs have direct access to the DR twitter account to send something out without the in-game tools they got. I also don't think they can ever send something to Twitter that doesn't show up in the instance.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 01:25 PM CDT
I dunno. Twitter works for letting people know an event is happening.

But it's not a recap of events, which would be more helpful.

Logs are ok, but honestly I suspect most people want a high level overview rather than a play by play.

I'd also prefer more scheduled events; I'm not likely to hang out in DR hoping for a story line. But if the calendar has something like 'event around location around time' it's helpful.

Same thing on making non combat stuff feel more useful and impactful, if I felt like I could do X to participate even when no active story is occurring, it would be cool.

But those would require whole new systems.
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/28/2017 06:50 PM CDT
Yes, I meant the @DragonRealms twitter feed (which as some folks have said, you don't need a twitter account to view, and it shows up on the home page for later review, and stuff). When I have a link to post that won't go out via the in-game mechanics, I have been known to post that on my Iocanthe handle as a reply to the post that I can get through the auto-system.

I've been looking at ways to try to lure more people out for RP events that aren't "Hey, Elpalzi in Crossing. Again!"

The idea of someone posting an overview/summary of what's going on seems like a good thing - but I see it as something suited to a player (or group of players) more than a staff function. Bottom line -- you guys outnumber us by a significant factor. Also, we event GMs in particular know too much. Even trying REALLY hard to be vague, we'd end up spoiling things people were trying to figure out. :/

I'm still following along, though. Keep bringing up ideas!

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Non combat DR (sliding over into "how do we get info on events") 04/29/2017 09:31 PM CDT

There used to be a couple of guys that would always post updates in Theren events, We need a couple of people to step up for the crossing.

Suggestion-- Hide more letters or messages in boxes on invasion critters. Make up a few of them with different information or from different points of view and make box collecting during an invasion a fact-finding mission.
Re: Non combat DR 04/30/2017 07:06 PM CDT
+1 for more non-combat options. I loved the recent changes to MM and Empath circling requirements (and would like non-combat trader/cleric options, as well!)

Having ways to play into some character archetype that doesn't involve smashing, stabbing, slicing, or roasting everything in sight is always a huge plus for me.
Re: Non combat DR 04/30/2017 10:55 PM CDT
>>non-combat trader/cleric options

I would love to see non-combat Trader options. In my ideal Elanthia, when Trader magic is released they would swap Magic and Armor in skill set placements. Make Trader's Lore prime with Magic/Survival secondary. Of course this probably has as much chance of happening as Trader magic ever getting released.
Re: Non combat DR 05/01/2017 05:01 AM CDT
>>>>non-combat trader/cleric options

My Trader has zero interest in combat and it is jarring when I have to go to my vault and grab his crappy armor and weapons just to learn a couple skills to circle.

I kind of feel like it is a remnant of Trader's being travelers who had to face the dangers of the road, but in today's DR with work orders it is entirely possible to play a Trader that never runs a caravan or leaves their starting city. My trader is a blacksmith who does not leave his hometown.
Re: Non combat DR 05/01/2017 08:40 AM CDT

> I kind of feel like it is a remnant of Trader's being travelers who had to face the dangers of the road, but in today's DR with work orders it is entirely possible to play a Trader that never runs a caravan or leaves their starting city. My trader is a blacksmith who does not leave his hometown.

You're a trader. You should be using hirelings to avoid getting your hands dirty, or at least have the choice. I think traders having armor is really a high-level game design problem. Traders needed 2 secondaries. They didn't have magic, so the option was weapons or armor. Armor made more sense. Personally, I think the armor ranks should be made token ranks. 1 rank per circle. It's not like trading isn't the primary gate they have to trudge through anyway.
Re: Non combat DR 05/01/2017 03:57 PM CDT
>>... in today's DR with work orders it is entirely possible to play a Trader that never runs a caravan or leaves their starting city. My trader is a blacksmith who does not leave his hometown.<<

My trader lives in Ratha and spends nearly all his time on work orders (usually engineering, he's a Gnome), but when he runs out of wood and other materials, then he makes his way to the mainland and does a little bit of caravan trading and material gathering.

And like you, I think of trader combat as >>...a remnant of Trader's being travelers who had to face the dangers of the road<<. We really don't have to learn much combat.