OOC: Redo of previous post 10/09/2016 09:55 PM CDT
This is a redo of the post I put in ooc conflict (Only because I wasn't sure which forums people can be ooc in)

I changed this because I realized it was too long. Basically a point I was trying to make is that players need to find a way to communicate with someone else if there is a problem. There are people who do not always know how to act socially and maybe they said something you didn't like, but because they aren't socially perfect, what was a misunderstanding now turns into a huge problem. Someone (who has been put on ignore now) said my bringing this up is a cry for attention and that other people shouldn't have to accommodate someone else. Well, that's crap. Just because you don't like what someone says or the way they say it, it doesn't automatically mean what the person said is worthless.

This post has NOTHING to do with what may or may not have happened in the past or present. Its just something I have noticed and thought about. DR should be fun for everyone. And if that means that we try to find a way to work with someone who may not understand certain social situations, then that's what should be done. Maybe mentors can agree to help someone who is having issues relating to people. GMS are the ones who run DR, so maybe one of them can come up with ideas where everyone can play and people who are different don't have to worry whether someone is going to misunderstand them for something they say.

Communication is the answer to all things. So is pie.

From,

R.

>open kit
Guess what? It's already open!

48 intelligence, eh...?
Re: OOC: Redo of previous post 10/09/2016 10:05 PM CDT

>>Someone (who has been put on ignore now)

>>Well, that's crap. Just because you don't like what someone says or the way they say it, it doesn't automatically mean what the person said is worthless.

Do you see what you did there?

I mean really. Do you?
Re: OOC: Redo of previous post 10/09/2016 10:40 PM CDT

It's hard to speak in generalities for something like this, but I'll try.

* If your goal is to make people on the internet nice, then good luck. I'm sincere when I say that. Good luck, but just know that you're fighting against the tide.

* If your goal is to get GMs to police niceness then talk to Lyneya. I think you'll have slightly more success there, but I don't think they can do it in a way that wouldn't be gamed by the people who are generally causing problems. Every rule has a loophole/grey area/whatever. Rules like this tend to be abused more than anything.

* If this is just a general plea then I don't think it'll accomplish what you're looking to accomplish. The people who would respond to something like this are probably already nice. The people who aren't would probably get off on it.

At the end of the day, do what you can. You can't help everyone, and use the warn verb/assist as needed to insure someone isn't going a little too OOC on you. If it's in game, then give them space or play it off in character. Maybe play your character in a way that you yourself wouldn't respond if it were in the real world. It may be cathartic, in its own way.
Re: OOC: Redo of previous post 10/09/2016 11:06 PM CDT
>>Only because I wasn't sure which forums people can be ooc in

Almost all of the forums are OOC, unless they're explicitly labeled as IC.

>>Basically a point I was trying to make is that players need to find a way to communicate with someone else if there is a problem.

In the spirit of this mindset, this is not how to communicate with someone if there is a problem.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: OOC: Redo of previous post 10/10/2016 12:07 AM CDT
>>In the spirit of this mindset, this is not how to communicate with someone if there is a problem.

I wasn't referring to any specific problem and I didn't say anything about trying to communicate via forums. All I wanted to get across is that not everyone knows how to communicate well. So if someone has an ooc problem with someone else, talk to them, don't just shut them out, because it might just be one big misunderstanding.

And to the person who pointed out my hypocrisy, see? I proved my own point of not always knowing how to properly communicate.

>open kit
Guess what? It's already open!

48 intelligence, eh...?
Re: OOC: Redo of previous post 10/10/2016 12:35 AM CDT
I find the profile comment section to be a wonderful place to post up relevant communication information.

It's been my experience that the most respectful thing I can do is treat anyone with special needs just like they were anyone else.

The burden of get-along falls on the person trying to get-along.

Best of luck with your communication woes. If you ever have questions about best practices, I'm sure plenty here will be happy to provide their opinion.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: OOC: Redo of previous post 10/10/2016 01:35 AM CDT
Thank you very much Ashbomb for the really good advice. Changing my profile statement is a good idea. I will try that.
Re: OOC: Redo of previous post 10/10/2016 10:45 AM CDT

Kyodan, if you are someone who struggles with communication, I concur with the idea of putting a note in your PROFILE to indicate as much, and I would also encourage you to make efforts to communicate as clearly as possible, and make an effort to clearly, concisely, and directly state what is unclear to you.

The reciprocity this requires means that if someone says you are communicating unclearly, you should endeavor to listen to them, and clarify what you are trying to communicate.