Naming of Years 01/06/2010 01:33 PM CST
What's up with the year names? Do Kermorians think them significant (I suppose since we all know them) and why? Does the year of the cycle you are born in fortell anything? Do the names pre-date the Lanival dating?

(and come to think of it, did the months have names before the Lanival dating?)

Is this information anywhere outside a GM document?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Naming of Years 01/06/2010 01:39 PM CST
From what I've gathered, the modern dating system is indeed post-Lanival. That much is evidenced by the fact that most of the months are named for his war buddies, and our years are referred to as "AV" or "AL" which mean After the Victory and After Lanival, respectively. AV makes more sense, since our years don't actually start after Lanival split up the provinces but rather after the Dragon's Empire fell, but you will see both.

Pre-Lanival stuff, the years tend to be referred to as "IY" which means "Imperial Year" IIRC. I have no clue what they called the months, or at what point their dating system begins.

I might be wrong on that stuff too, but I'm too lazy to check.

Rev. Reene

You whisper to Ventuul and Szrael, "OOC: I'm bored. you guys up for some fun?"

Szrael whispers to your group, "OOC: Thus began the great war between zoluren and qi'reshalia"
Re: Naming of Years 01/06/2010 02:14 PM CST
As far as year names the only thing I've ever seen was that they are mythological creatures. Before Lanival the names of the months varied across the Empire, but there were also official Imperial names that were rarely used.

~Thilan
"To be honest, my son, the practice of Holy magic is really just reckless tampering with one's soul."