Prev_page Previous 1
History of the Outcasts 07/28/2009 07:27 PM CDT
I've been doing some research on the Outcasts, and while I've discovered quite a bit, I can't seem to find much information about what originally caused the Outcasts to be casted out (heh).

There are of course the three artifacts from that era. The first seems to show the Outcasts being forcibly marched out (along with the inscription "Yol Malcisen... Uskela'jama..." which translates roughly to road of sorrows). The second seems to indicate a battle was fought (or at least some sort of blood sport), and then the last which shows Elves being surrounded while a village burns in the background.

Tiso's book, while quite informative of current Outcast culture, is equally uninformative on the Outcasts' past.

Basically, I'm wondering if the Outcasts were necessarily forcibly kicked out of Shard, or if they were somehow cheated out of their land, or if the Outcasts put up much resistance prior to being removed.

Obviously, it can be assumed from the above sources that the Outcasts were the original inhabitants of what is today known as Shard, however were kicked out (after a battle, presumably). However, I'm currently writing a book on related subjects and want to make sure I get the facts completely straight.

Any input is welcome, as long as it's constructive. Thanks!

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/28/2009 07:33 PM CDT
They got bored one day and left

Yeah, it didn't make sense then either

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/28/2009 07:36 PM CDT
He doesn't mean at the end of the recent war. He is talking about when they -originally- left the Shard area.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/28/2009 07:40 PM CDT
Oh, and from what I can recall, there were some stories about Corik (I think - it's been a while since I've heard the lore) cheating them out of the land that Shard sits upon today. If those accounts are written anywhere, let alone true, I really couldn't tell you. I wish you luck in your search.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 12:26 AM CDT
>I've been doing some research on the Outcasts, and while I've discovered quite a bit, I can't seem to find much information about what originally caused the Outcasts to be casted out (heh).

I searched for the reason awhile ago but could only find two vague references that made it look like they just wanted the land that the natives had.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Shard_Histories_(book)
>>Still others whisper that Corik was romantically involved with Lady Morganae of the Mountains, and that he had convinced her that his people needed lands.

Whatever the reason, the ink was not long drying upon the parchment of the treaty when Corik and Morganae announced that they would build a city that would be the capital of the Elothean nation, and a home to Elves. Termed the "Leth Deriel that Never Was", it was built with much of the same architecture in mind, but with crystal walls that would hold against the greatest siege, and streets named after the jewels that Morganae's people sang to shape the foundations. To the northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest of the walls were placed towers -- or Keeps -- and these were deemed as places of learning. At the center was one great, silver tower, and this was deemed the palace of the Ferdahl and his or her advisors.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Raenilar
>>A single thread draws your attention, the faint blue glow growing in intensity until it blocks the rest from sight. Watching closely, the line expands and twists until before you appears a moving river of people, their heads hung low in defeat and loss as they plod northward, their every step guarded by armed warriors who stand unmoved and emotionless as one by one the sick and dying collapse to the ground in exhaustion and death.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 03:14 AM CDT
Keep in mind that much of Elanthian history is intentionally vague to allow player and GM alike to use the information with whichever bias they desire. I actually think it to be one of the cooler aspects of our history. Unless I want a solid answer and there isn't one - then it's just frustrating. Heh.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

[Aurdun] Why won't they just accept things I tell them point blank?
[Zeyurn] Obviously that would be cheating.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 05:55 PM CDT
>Keep in mind that much of Elanthian history is intentionally vague to allow player and GM alike to use the information with whichever bias they desire.

Unfortunately in this case, the Outcast history isn't merely vague, it actively makes no sense.

It's based on the premise that a mass, forced migration of a large clan not only went unrecorded in history, but somehow resulted from the building of Shard, a prosperous symbol of unity between the Elven and Elothean people.

The only possible thing I can come up with is that the people who became the Outcasts were driven from their homes by the Dragon Priests and blamed Corik for losing to them.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 09:02 PM CDT
I wouldn't say it went unrecorded. It is, without a doubt, one of the largest stains on the history of the region. Perhaps part of the reason it isn't written down is that those of Shard kind of want it kept under the rug. They wouldn't be the first society to hide their shady past.

Perhaps more of it needs written down (sounds like I just picked up another project), but I can mention a few things. This is simply what I have to work with, so... yeah.

The "outcasts" were in the location that was perfectly suited for the construction of the city of Shard. Those planning on constructing the city tried to negotiate with the tribe of isolationist Elves, but to no avail. The Elves were eventually forcibly driven from their homes and chased northward.

There was a good deal of bad blood in Elanthia at the time, this era being around the end of the Resistance War and a good bit of mistrust between many factions throughout the lands, so eventually the "outcasts" were driven to their current home in the desert.

It wasn't the DP who drove them from their homes in Ilithi, it was indeed the evil land developer, sights set on pretty subdivisions and a chaotic, non-grid street system!

I didn't make the history, I just work with it {g}. Some should probably be added to make a bit more sense though, I agree.

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 09:07 PM CDT
>> I wouldn't say it went unrecorded. It is, without a doubt, one of the largest stains on the history of the region. Perhaps part of the reason it isn't written down is that those of Shard kind of want it kept under the rug. They wouldn't be the first society to hide their shady past.

I think the issue people has is that it kind of is unrecorded, and presuming that they did indeed walk the whole way, Shard and Ilithi aren't the only cultures that would have been exposed to those events.

Of course, it's entirely possible they got a lift with Moongates, thereby bypassing the entire issue. Who knows.

Rev. Reene

Uthgaar asks, "She has a scalpel and a creamy nutlog in her hands and no one is running?"
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 09:12 PM CDT
It isn't altogether inplausable. History is recorded by the victor, and in this case we have a still reigning and very powerful Monarch in the person of Morganae of the Mountain. She could very well have hushed up her opponents.

To use a Real world example, when I was young and in elementary school in the early 60s students heard very little about American history from the perspective of the American Indians. We were mostly taught about Columbus, DeSoto, Lewis and Clark,the Mayflower and other white or European explorers. It wasn't until the 70s that more started coming out that you heard about the "trail of tears", and other events.

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 09:40 PM CDT
History is forgotten and/or hushed up all the time. It's harder to do in a modern society than it once was, but still quite possible. I highly doubt you're going to see the Tower talk about what happened and the ol' Ice Queen probably won't either.

Would it help if I confirmed that they did in fact go on foot? It wasn't an overnight journey.

I'm not saying that the information has been disbursed very well in the past - it hasn't - but it has been out there, it's just not in a book. I realize that books are the primary source of information in the game and I desperately want more of them out there, but just because it isn't in a book, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Unfortunately, from what I can gather, all this information was (or was supposed to be) stated during the outcast war and the events that lead up to/followed it. What was or wasn't, I'm honestly not sure.

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 09:54 PM CDT
All this history mis-information is really the fault of the Bards.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 09:55 PM CDT
We are so fighting.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 09:57 PM CDT
Oh, Taghz. <3

Rev. Reene

Uthgaar asks, "She has a scalpel and a creamy nutlog in her hands and no one is running?"
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 10:00 PM CDT
So we get to blame the entire Outcast war on the Bards?

I'm game.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 10:16 PM CDT
I don't like this thread anymore.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 10:59 PM CDT
>All this history mis-information is really the fault of the Bards.

Yeah, they drink too much and get their songs mixed up.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/29/2009 11:00 PM CDT
<<Unfortunately, from what I can gather, all this information was (or was supposed to be) stated during the outcast war and the events that lead up to/followed it. What was or wasn't, I'm honestly not sure.

I wish I'd saved my logs from back then so that I could be of more help on the subject. King Raenilar did speak about it and Ferdahl Kukalakai also gave her version of it. Of course, each were a bit biased but both stories meshed quite a bit.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 12:38 AM CDT
<<So we get to blame the entire Outcast war on the Bards?

Wait, isn't every conflict in DragonRealms the linked to the bards?

Anyway, I think it is clear that this small rag tag band of isolationist elves were remnants of Teiro's followers that had stopped fighting after his beheading and the end of the war but refused to give up their loyalty to the cause all the same.

Shamed by their loss, shunned for their continued loyalty, and isolated by the ever politically savvy and self-securing Mountain Queen, it was an easy thing to discard them as the festering wound they represented at the earliest opportunity and then allow time and carefully appointed and placed scholars and archivists to remove them entirely from almost all memory.

Given that he's basically invincible, it's a pretty good bet that Raenilar the You-can-count-on-it-like -the-sunrise-and-sunset Inevitable Victor is a direct descendant of the equally unmatched Teiro himself, further explaining his inexplicable awesomeness in all things.

Heh.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 02:37 AM CDT
<<Yeah, they drink too much and get their songs mixed up

And they strong arm me out of hair ribbons. :(

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 11:40 AM CDT
It was all a bunch of inconsistent retconned BS.

Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 12:44 PM CDT
Nice post Cemm. Sounds like the best explanation I've seen so far.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 01:24 PM CDT
<<Nice post Cemm. Sounds like the best explanation I've seen so far.

Yeah, I was just kidding around when I started typing it out and then when I was done I sat back and was left wondering how vaguely plausible it actually might be.

The part about Raenilar being a descendant of Teiro and that being an explanation for why he was basically invincible was really just a playful jab at the uber-GMPC thing that spurred a lot of complaints back then.

But playing along with that 'it's all in the bloodlines' lineage theory, I'm not sure how much that would necessarily matter anyway in transferring the awesome that were Teiro's soldiers (which, as I recall, were supposed to be pretty excellent soldiers) through the ages to the awesome that were/are the Outcasts (we're talking about a single army, removed basically the entire continent's worth of distance from its desert homeland, that was able to pretty much throttle the combined military might of Therengia, Zoluren, the Mountain Elves, and the remnants of the Ilithi resistance and eventually basically just pick up and leave on its own terms when Raenilar decided he missed the desert).

Hell, I might have even been able to embrace the idea of the Outcasts if something like this had been the story as we were able to unravel it that had been presented all this time.

Mostly I've pretty much always felt like the whole Outcast thing was a pretty messy, inconsistent, and above all heavily jarring retcon to what we'd always known about DragonRealms. Maybe some effort to actually tie it to known history instead of just completely disregarding everything we'd ever been told and slamming a retcon into place would have helped a bit.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 02:59 PM CDT
> Mostly I've pretty much always felt like the whole Outcast thing was a pretty messy, inconsistent, and above all heavily jarring retcon to what we'd always known about DragonRealms. Maybe some effort to actually tie it to known history instead of just completely disregarding everything we'd ever been told and slamming a retcon into place would have helped a bit.

Quoting this because this is exactly how I feel about the whole episode. Emphasis mine.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 04:04 PM CDT
I would wholly support an heavily jarring retcon that deletes the Outcasts and brings Kukalakai back to life. I don't think anyone would really mind.

-Golgol
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 04:10 PM CDT
You could just say "It was all a dream" and I'd be okay with it.

Seriously I think you must not hunt. - Verathor, who is standing at the back of the line.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 04:26 PM CDT
A lot of things are added to the history of the game without existing prior. See also: Philosophers of the Knife/most of the new Necromancer guild lore.

Rev. Reene

(1:45:46 AM) Mordiazi: The learned members of Elanthian society want to kick you in the nuts.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 04:28 PM CDT
It was all actually an extraplanar, but virtually identically, version of Elanthia which happened to be occluding the plane of the Abiding for a couple decades. The recent planar bleed will have knocked it out of alignment, revealing the Elanthia underneath where everything makes sense and isn't angsty.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:00 PM CDT
Heh, so went looking at the timeline to see how plausible the kidding around actually was.

Oops, it isn't: Construction of Shard (the original) began in 237 BL and was completed five years later in 232 BL. The Resistance War didn't end and Teiro didn't die until the next year in 231 BL.

But it is another look at how badly handled a retcon the whole Outcast mess actually was. Even after the racial ages were changed drastically years ago, the average Elven lifespan is 400-500 years (LOL, and the tweaking continues as another place on the official website says 350-450 years....whaaatever).

The Outcasts marched on Shard in 375 AV. That's 612 years after the beginning of the construction of Shard in 237 BL. If there are hundreds of thousands of Elves in Ilithi, then we're talking about a fourth or even a third of that current population that has overlapped with the the generation (grandchildren in the early stages of their lifespan to grandparents in the latter stages of their lifespan) that actually witnessed the... uh... Outcasting.

In other words, it has not been nearly enough time to remove a "Trail of Tears" level tragic event from basically all memory regardless of any significant efforts to do so (short of a genocidal purge of the thousands upon thousands of Elves and Elotheans that would have been there in Ilithi to witness it and discuss it later in their lives).

To put it another way, the chances of that level of conspiracy required for making a displaced people just completely disappear from history for 600+ years is about the same chance that a massive conspiracy involving thousands of opinionated Americans involved in the 1960's space program managed to not have a single leak of the truth that the lunar landings never actually happened and that it all went down on a sound stage in Area 51. Uhh...right.

Anyway, I can only conclude that there has been a serious glitch in the Matrix and it is time for the Machines to come in and wipe out Zion and start the whole 500 year process over with a new 'the One'.

Timeline bits taken from Elanthipedia.com:

241 BL --Corik the Black Cloud becomes the Ferdahl
237 BL --Construction begins on the city of Shard
232 BL --Shard is completed
231 BL --The Battle of the Spine takes place. Teiro dies, ending the Resistance War
230 BL --The Imperial land is divided into five sovereign states (Zoluren, Therengia, Ilithi, Qi, and Forfedhdar). --Construction begins on the Crossing.
198 BL --Ferdahl Corik attempts to purge the Dragon Priests from Ilithi, but they outmaneuver his army --Shard falls to the Dragon Priests and is razed
375 AV -- (day 291) Outcasts march on Shard
380 AV -- Festival held in Shard celebrating end of Outcast reign
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:23 PM CDT
<<A lot of things are added to the history of the game without existing prior. See also: Philosophers of the Knife/most of the new Necromancer guild lore.

True, but they're plausible additions to what is already known without necessarily impacting or changing what is already known and therefore easy to accept when they're linked into the existing history well.

For example, that there are necromancers and secret societies and ideologies related to them isn't a surprise. There are mention of necromancers throughout the known history of DragonRealms, from Sidhlot and the Bone Elves to the Hounds of Rutilor to various other examples. Now we're just getting to learn more about what was already known, in a vague general way, to be true.

Also, new history that comes from previously unknown territories is also not jarring in the same way as retconning and existing area or time period of an area in previously known history.

The Elpalzi are a good example of this. Their lands are 'somewhere over the mountains in a northerly direction from Sorrow's Reach'. Well, that's not any different than saying that Forfedhdar was a homeland to dwarves before we were able to actually go there and see that it is. There's no conflict there.

Saying that there was an isolationist group of elves living in the middle of Ilithi where Shard now stands that was driven out enmass across the entire continent and no one had any record or memory of until it they suddenly reappeared with a vengeance in 375 is a little different beast in my opinion.

Of course, even the Shard Histories book doesn't entirely agree with the official timelines that were posted by GMs and then stored on Elanthipedia. Sylverlock suggests that Shard was built after the Resistance War (started 239 BL) but it was actually constructed during the war and completed two years after (237 BL to 232 BL) Teiro's death in 230 BL.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:24 PM CDT
>Yeah, I was just kidding around when I started typing it out and then when I was done I sat back and was left wondering how vaguely plausible it actually might be.

It isn't.

-252 Tiero Strikes at the capital of the 7-Star Empire (End of Seven-Starred Empire, start of War of Resistance)
-239 Reign of Ferdahl Corik of the Black Cloud begins
-238 Corik allies with Morganae to begin construction of Shard
-236 Teiro is beheaded
-230 Corik and Morganae complete the city of Shard

Points of interest: Corik was neutral in the War of Resistance. He wanted to fight, but didn't. He was busy building a city shortly after coming to power.

I'm aware that some of this was "explained" during the Outcast War, but it feels like somebody was making it up right there on the spot and did a poor job of it. And even THAT info is still hard (impossible?) to find anywhere outside of player's logs.

I just find it extremely suspect that Corik and Morganae managed to uproot and drive out a tribe of Elves without anyone noticing. I realize this would have taken place under the "cover" of the War further north, but you would think it would at least get mentioned by all those Bards keeping records of the upheaval.

Plus, not only does this imply that the guy who stayed OUT of a war turned around and started busting up the locals, but that he did so with Morganae's consent, if not her help. And furthermore for the sake of building a city for both races.

--insert puzzled face here--
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:25 PM CDT

Gang,

I feel as if I'm reading a 5 year old thread.

This is for actual Elanthian history, not what you would like it to have been. That is likely better for the Fiction folder.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:28 PM CDT
Heh, Ninja'd.

Yeah I took my time writing my post.

And yes, there are two conflicting timelines. The differences are minimal where it concerns the Outcasts though.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:28 PM CDT
>> True, but they're plausible additions to what is already known without necessarily impacting or changing what is already known and therefore easy to accept when they're linked into the existing history well.

Er... what? A lot of stuff has gotten completely retconned because of the new Necromancer lore. Sometimes more than once because they've had to go back and change what Rigby originally proposed.

A lot of old plots don't even fit anymore based on new lore, but I guess people don't remember those.

Also, Cadaya's timeline is not completely accurate. There's an easy way to check this: Look at the dates on diras compared to what's on the timeline for certain emperors.

Rev. Reene

(1:45:46 AM) Mordiazi: The learned members of Elanthian society want to kick you in the nuts.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:30 PM CDT
For what it's worth, the consistancy of Elanthian history is an issue. I spent 107 hours working on the timeline before Simucon and it needs more work still (THANKS YSSELT. Silly Bards...). A number of things that are on the previously released timelines have been changed or removed, depending on what needed doing. With regards to the outcasts, I don't believe anything changed, however. My hands are pretty well tied with regards to the events of the war and the previous information about the outcasts. I don't like to say it, but that's just the way it is. I agree that 2 generations isn't very long to forget and wipe clean, but it also isn't impossible. The Soviet Union was particularly good at this kind of thing.

Realistically, you're just going to just have to suspend your disbelief or deal with it. I think we're all in agreement that it could be better, but I can't change the history of things that were done in game. I'll do what I can to make things make sense as things move on, though.

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:30 PM CDT
<<It isn't.

Heh, right, I posted that as well. Just to be sure, Cadaya's updated and more expanded timeline is considered more authoritative than Atrathien's effort that he was updating from right? I was confused by your dates until I went and looked at the earlier timeline, heh.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:38 PM CDT
>> The Soviet Union was particularly good at this kind of thing.

Or China, or North Korea...

Rev. Reene

Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:47 PM CDT
>Realistically, you're just going to just have to suspend your disbelief or deal with it. I think we're all in agreement that it could be better, but I can't change the history of things that were done in game. I'll do what I can to make things make sense as things move on, though.

I'm not trying to beat you up over it, I have a genuine interest in seeing one logical and consistent narrative much like the OP. Our two options at the moment in this regard are 1. Lay out the facts we have and see how they work or 2. Wait for you to rerewrite it.

It's one thing for in-game books to be biased or contain factual errors due to mistakes or malice (and our character to grapple with it as a result), but it's another thing for the GMs to not even be able to explain it to us OoCly.
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:50 PM CDT
<<This is for actual Elanthian history, not what you would like it to have been. That is likely better for the Fiction folder.

We're discussing the actual Elanthian history as this point too.

The issue is that our grasp of Elanthian history is limited by, among other factors, how much of it has actually been shared with us in a clear way (the official timelines, etc.), a less than crystal clear way (biased ingame history books, etc.), and sorting out whether any of the previous was even paid attention to as new information was added.

So when you say 'what you would like it to have been', I say that I'd think it was great if it all fit together in a consistent way (much of Elanthian history, in my opinion) that didn't require a huge leap of faith and suspension of disbelief to swallow (the jarring introduction of the Outcast history).

All of the above said, I am aware that players and staff alike have long ago accepted that the Outcast mess was...well, pretty much a huge mess. A number of players and staff members alike ended up leaving the game over it and so it is not something that is very fun to dwell on at this point. I'm not trying to re-open and pour salt in old wounds by discussing it.

The issue is that they (the Outcasts) weren't retconned right out again. They've remained, and are played by NPCs and PCs ingame. I'm not saying they should have been at all, but their story continues to not make sense to anyone that goes back and tries to piece the historical puzzle together right?

Is it possible that a new storyline could come out and fix this maybe? Would it be worth the effort?
Re: History of the Outcasts 07/30/2009 05:54 PM CDT
>It's one thing for in-game books to be biased or contain factual errors due to mistakes or malice (and our character to grapple with it as a result), but it's another thing for the GMs to not even be able to explain it to us OoCly.

Agree completely. I know you guys aren't coming at me - it is a legitimate complaint that needs to be addressed.

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Prev_page Previous 1