Forty Years of Adventure 12/27/2006 11:29 AM CST
If I'm doing the math right, we're right at 11 RL years since we first got access to the beta of DragonRealms on GEnie.

So for any characters that have lingered on since then, they've seen just over four decades of adventure in Lanival's Realms (11 RLyears x 365 daysperRLyear x 4DRdays-to-1RLday / 400daysperDRyear = 40.15).

In Prime (for PC's out of the mangler), the oldest possible humans should be pushing 70 right about now. The oldest possible elves right around 110.

The year that the first of our characters started showing up in the lands would have been 344 or 345.
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/27/2006 12:23 PM CST
>In Prime (for PC's out of the mangler), the oldest possible humans should be pushing 70 right about now. The oldest possible elves right around 110.

Was there an age reset or something while I was gone? Or maybe I should see if I can re-activate all my elfs. I remember one of them came out of the mangler at 112 years old. I remember on the AOL race boards a few elfs were posting their ages and claiming to be the oldest until I posted info. Then I started being called "Grandpa Elf". <Chuckle>.

I keep thinking that was Wildluck, but he's only 92 now. That's why I'm wondering if there was an age reset or something that I missed or forgot about.
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/27/2006 01:02 PM CST
Wildluck,

I remember you being around way back when for sure. Was Wildluck your character from GEnie or did you start him over at some point?

There are some folks who swear there was a complete character reset at some point during beta but I just don't recall that happening.

I switched characters and made a new character for my AOL OH account so I could play for free when closed beta on AOL came into play, so I may just not have noticed if it happened right then.

My memory is pretty vague that far back though. I can't recall if things like dates and time were already working then. My memory says yes, but then a lot of stuff wasn't in yet like targeted magic too.

The 344 or 345 start year sounds close to the mark though since the official timeline has the bard's guild opening in 349 (and an RL year is about how long it took for that guild to finally open if I recall correctly).

So far the oldest elf I've heard of on the forums (in the last year or so) is Aavarine at around 95 or 96 by now. A friend just told me today that she knows of one that is over 100 though that is still on an active account.

My best recollection is that the highest age for an elf out of the mangler was 70, so that'd put 110 as the max. But maybe the max was a little higher than that?
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/27/2006 06:08 PM CST
Wildluck was my GEnie start. When AOL went to all-you-can-play for one price, I had to put him in storage. Not a hard choice of $3 per hour versus $19.95 (or whatever it was back then) per month. Thats when the second infamous elf, Starborne, was created (more on him later this post). After SIMU finally transferred characters from GEnie I retrieved Wildluck and been playing him since. Well, when I'm not away for years at a time that is. <Chuckle>.

>My best recollection is that the highest age for an elf out of the mangler was 70, so that'd put 110 as the max. But maybe the max was a little higher than that?

There wasn't a set old age, at least not in the GEnie days, but I think it was supposed to be rare to come out over 70. I do remember a short term bug when they were on AOL where for a few hours anyone coming out of the mangler was over 300 and even 400 years old. I remember helping a new player get an assist since he was worried about his age, and the GM who answered mentioned that the new people coming out were having their age generated then added to the year. I believe they went and corrected all the people who were generated during that problem and gave them "proper" ages, tho I could be wrong on that.

Starborne was the fun one. I had faith they'd transfer characters sooner or later and I would be playing Wildluck when that happened, so Star was a time passer for me. Back then, you had the "Novice" title in front of your name until you claimed second level in a guild. So I joined the moon mage guild and trained and trained but never went and advanced him. Whenever I ran into someone who looked down or tried to lord it over a mere "Novice" I'd simply ask the person to teach me some magic skill. Since Star had the equivelant of level 20+ moon mage skills almost none of these mighty level 6's to 20's could. I don't know how many assists and bug reports because "I'm level 18 and I can't teach a magic skill to a novice" this generated, but it was fun for me. <Grin>. When I finally took Star in and had him ask Kssarh about level, he went from level 1 to level 28. And yes, it only advanced him one level at a time so I had to ask 28 times befor Kssarh called me lazy and told me to get out there and learn. <Chukle>.
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/27/2006 07:03 PM CST
>>Starborne was the fun one.

And that story has won me many a story-telling contest, my friend. Harken ye now to the tale of Storborne, the Eternal Novice! Heh. Used to chat with you while you were chain-casting Shadows on the top of the Pierless. Fun times. 'Course, I haven't played my Moon Mage regularly in quite a while, so he's mostly forgotten by these times. Good to see you back around, though.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay, et al.

Pro Shop closed. Check out our new location in Pod Six.
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/27/2006 09:37 PM CST
Heya Wildluck, Scott/Kyrion(GS)/Smahsh(DR) and Kim/Warble(GS)/Nimue(DR) from our old GEnie days just returned over to GS. They might return to DR at sometime in the future, currently they are focused on learning all the changes that have come down the pike in GS since they left GS nine years ago. :)

Jim Celtar/Greyslayer from GS GEnie.

p.s: Trying to figure out your numbers Peter. Shargr Hightower is in his 70's as a S'kra Mur Trailblazer from the end of the beta on GEnie. Celtar who I rolled up on AOL once AOL got access to DR is in his 70s as well as an elf, Vurkannan as a human who was rolled up at the same time is around 53 and Taziar is 55 I think also rolled up at the same time. Nice thing about AOL and having 5 screen names back then, didn't have start a second or third account like you had to on GEnie if you wanted to play multiple characters.

The inexpert captain, and the unlearned physician, do buy their experience at too dear a rate, for it is still purchased with the price of men's lives. -Captain Barnabe Rich (1540-1617)

Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/28/2006 02:51 AM CST
The ages that some races can come out at vary so wildly that the oldest Elf may very well be much, much older than 110.

Whether or not the owner still plays is another question entirely.

Rev. Reene

You are Caelumia Y'laeth, an Elf.
Holy Smoke, you're ugly! Who is your hairdresser? Medusa?

Get involved!
http://reene.euphoricsoup.com/text/roleplaying.html
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/28/2006 06:44 PM CST
Granted I haven't created a new character in several years, but the last time I do remember doing so and I made sure to get my elven characters as high in age as possible and started over repeatedly until I got what I wanted. My belief is that at that time 70 was the age cap in Prime based on those rather persistent efforts.

I'd be interested to learn if anyone can beat that right now out of the character manager. I have a couple of extra slots, I might try it myself later.
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/28/2006 07:06 PM CST
I think they modified the age limits on the character manager so you can't come out too young or too old because I remember some folks coming out quite old for their race or very young for their race. Premium accounts I think have a wider range or at least it's easier to get the age you want.

Calissa's player
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/28/2006 07:26 PM CST
A few monthes ago I came out with a character that was 200+ years old. I assumed it was a bug. Unfortunately, I deleted the character sort of on accident.

Range Master Dragamar, Recluse of Aesry Sulaenis'a
Brother Urio, Follower of Urrem'tier
Cadet Ltorilu, Up and Coming Paladin
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/28/2006 08:27 PM CST
Here is what I got after trying 10 times randomly. Keep in mind that this is in Prime, not Platinum. After the third try, I decided to choose my own features and got the message I added below about choosing between 25 and 49.

1. 23
2. 20
3. 24

As a premium member, you are able to choose your character's age (within a range of years). Your character can be between 25 and 49 years old. How old would you like to be?
[To choose your age, type CHOOSE ##]
[To let the character manager pick your age for you, type SKIP]

4. 52
5. 22
6. 27
7. 24
8. 23
9. 36
10. 30
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/28/2006 08:32 PM CST
Doh...meant to add that I made a new Elf character each time, but I guess that goes without saying given the rest of the thread?

Anyway, I'd be interested to see if it is possible to get much higher than the mid-50's with the new mangler.
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/28/2006 08:54 PM CST
>> I'd be interested to learn if anyone can beat that right now out of the character manager.

They can and have.

Check out DRSales for a rather recent example of one.

Rev. Reene

Get involved!
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/28/2006 09:12 PM CST
Premium accounts get to pick age. So yes, it's possible.

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true." ~Wizard Zorander
Re: Forty Years of Adventure 12/28/2006 09:15 PM CST
Premium age benefit does not go that high.

You basically have to get it randomly if you want a character above a certain age.

Rev. Reene

Get involved!