Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/27/2003 08:48 AM CST
I remember coming over from GS3 to DR. One of the first things I did was go around with my friends to search for clues as to where the ruins of the Landing might be (we assumed back then that the Crossing was built on its ruins). It was tremendous fun. Then I got hired and learned the truth, which is even cooler.

I love listening to you guys talk and thinking, "colder.. colder... warmer! Red hot!"

Keep it up.

-Tvini
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/27/2003 09:32 AM CST
>>Then I got hired and learned the truth, which is even cooler.

I love listening to you guys talk and thinking, "colder.. colder... warmer! Red hot!"

Keep it up.

-Tvini <<

Why can't the historical connection between Gemstone's Elanthia and Dragonrealms's Elanthia be public knowledge?

At first I thought, "well maybe the GM's have been planning some kind of event centered around the ancient history of DR." But after 7 1/2 years of being in existance, I thought, probably such an event would have happened by now if it had been in the works. So then I thought, "Maybe the event is happening in GS and they don't want the outcome known in advance by DR players, who are after all in GS's future." That's the only explanation I can think of, but I'm still not totally satisfied with it. Any reason then, that you can confirm? Just seems like such information would be "innocent" and only serve to help us RP the history of the world we live in.

Lathaliu's Player
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/27/2003 12:22 PM CST
<<Why can't the historical connection between Gemstone's Elanthia and Dragonrealms's Elanthia be public knowledge? [...] Just seems like such information would be "innocent" and only serve to help us RP the history of the world we live in.>>

It wouldn't help anyone roleplay the history of the world, though, because it would be information that no character can, would, or should know. If GemStone was in the past, it was well before the establishment of History in DR -- and characters shouldn't be privy to prehistory information. If GemStone is in the future, then again, players shouldn't know about it. Additionally, it's been hinted strongly that the two games take place on entirely different continents.

There's really no benefit to elaborating upon any connections between GemStone and DragonRealms... because it's information that really shouldn't be out there. It wouldn't really be helpful to you guys as characters, or as players.

Regards,
GameMaster Cadaya
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/27/2003 12:28 PM CST
I'll be the first to say it.

Those are good, valid, logical points.

There is, however, a dazzlingly cool 'Wow' factor that doesn't have anything to do with roleplaying or our characters. ;)

I, for one, would love to know the connection, just to bask in the neatness.

Bryn
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/27/2003 03:35 PM CST
That is also denying the nature of adventurers. Our characters can ride on boats- obviously they can navigate by the stars - <moon mages, anyone?>. Traveling to another continent? where's our christopher columbus or our leif ericson? Surely SOMEONE would go and explore. I mean, there would surely be some Harrison ford types ready to investigate the ruins...

And what of the clues that happened <i.e. thee mottlyd text>, etc?

I mean, or some guy that travels back i.e. planet of the apes and says "damn you all to hell" when he sees all the gnomes running around... <G>

~Weak of arm,crazy roar;
terrible aim,awful health;
broken fingers,no real stealth;
leave em dead,stabbed some more;
lost your coins,on the floor;
greetings!now you're out the door~
>
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/27/2003 05:55 PM CST
>>I mean, there would surely be some Harrison ford types ready to investigate the ruins...<<

I've been much happier with the new Moon Mage reqs since I stopped thinking "scholar" and started thinking "Indiana Jones."

>>There's really no benefit to elaborating upon any connections between GemStone and DragonRealms... because it's information that really shouldn't be out there.<<

On one hand: I appreicate keeping the mystery alive, and understand how important that is to a game's mood.

On the other hand: Whine. I wanna know.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/27/2003 08:51 PM CST
<<where's our christopher columbus or our leif ericson? Surely SOMEONE would go and explore. I mean, there would surely be some Harrison ford types ready to investigate the ruins...>>

If anyone has ever managed to cross the ocean, they've never returned to tell about it. And it's unlikely anyone ever has, at least not outside of the mythic era. After all, Elven myths tell that their people came from across the Ocean and were forbidden ever from returning. If they ever made such a trip, they were the last to do so.

<<And what of the clues that happened <i.e. thee mottlyd text>, etc?>>

Quite honestly, those are just done from time to time just to mess with the players. Seriously. <grin>

The person who wrote Thee Mottyl'd Tyxte tossed that in saying, "I wonder if they'll ever catch this." I actually remember the conversation we had about it when the idea of the book was first being worked on.

The "clues" aren't so much clues as references which are akin to "in jokes" -- something that people familiar with the material will recognize and say, "Hey, Cool"... rather than actual clues as to the game's historical reality.

Regards,
GameMaster Cadaya
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/27/2003 11:15 PM CST
So where are the ruins of Squire Bluff? The crag where dwelt the dragon who for so long feasted, and fed its young, on unwary adventurers? The caverns below the town, infested with trolls and orcs, and hiding portals to places with obscenely powerful creatures?

Somewhere on this Elanthia, are there fossilized remains of a darkling stalker or a cockatrice? The tumbled ruins of the fortress where demons held the heart of a people hostage? A dank spot that gives a cold chill where a wryllic did the work of a false god and killed that heart, a Cleric known and loved by all? The shards of a flask that once held chalky potion, progenitor of the gweths, or the dull remnant of a glowing pearl which bore the gift of healing? A quiet place, once a holy glade, where the very first marriage that ever was in Elanthia took place between Grendel and Nightshade?

Do the crumbled flagstones that were the floor of the Hanging Inn, where Griffuth became a true Bard before any such guild was dreamed of, and the tale of Nogard and Gimlet rang forth, still exist in some forgotten place? Does anything remain of the forge where the town's only blacksmith turned out all manner of weapons and armor?

Gemstone 3 is all well and good, but it never mattered much to me. Cadaya, where is my first home? Where and when in all Elanthia was the time and the place for Gemstone 2? On the off chance anyone at Simu besides Elonka cares, or even remembers...

Glenlivet, who still misses GS2 quite a bit...
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/27/2003 11:26 PM CST
>So where are the ruins of Squire Bluff?

Fairly near Wehnimer's Landing.

Where that would be, in relation to our Elanthia, I've no idea.

Across the ocean on another continent, said Melissa. That doesn't narrow it down much.

-Chris

No matter where light goes...it will find darkness has been there first.
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/28/2003 07:13 AM CST
Lady P. the lich was supposedly from Gemstone, she had one of their gweth-like rings and everything. Shame she's dead, er, deader?. There's a profiles in magic book about her if no one knows what I'm talking about.

-Path

Westryl says, "I'll only roleplay a female if I can get stuck in the void with Pathian."
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/28/2003 11:15 AM CST
not that it matters, but I would rahter think gemstone be a past or future to DR, or seperate entirely. The fact of it existing on the same planet at the same time is stinky to me.

but i also think that all those refrences are there to drive mad anyone who cares to read them, bwahahahahaha

Rob, the player of Maxxwel
Babbling Empath at Large
AIM: MaxxwelDR

"No, the booze cleans the wounds! Look, have you ever seen me with infected wounds? Nope!"
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/28/2003 12:38 PM CST
Even if the connection is so far back as to be beyond knowable character history, would it be harmful to let the players know just to satisfy our curiosity and interest? I'm aware that the GM's are required to keep many things in DR "secret" from the players, but this is one thing that I admit I'm stumped to figure out why. Just thought I'd ask, since maybe there is a reason and the information is being used in some way that I can't imagine. Will we ever be allowed to know?

Lathaliu's Player
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/28/2003 01:41 PM CST
maybe it would freak out all the players of gemstone to know that their continent was going to be hit by a gigantic meteor <the imploding of the 4th moon>,and kill most of them - which would be seen on the other continent as the birth of the world dragon...

<how primitives would have described such a thing, and passed it down in racial memory>

~Weak of arm,crazy roar;
terrible aim,awful health;
broken fingers,no real stealth;
leave em dead,stabbed some more;
lost your coins,on the floor;
greetings!now you're out the door~
>
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 10/29/2003 02:57 PM CST
>maybe it would freak out all the players of gemstone to know that their continent was going to be hit by a gigantic meteor <the imploding of the 4th moon>,and kill most of them - which would be seen on the other continent as the birth of the world dragon...

Stay tuned to a Gemstone near you.

>w
The night sky brightens noticeably as the comet suddenly flares, the cerulean-blue streak intensifying as its color shifts momentarily to pink. As the comet's color returns to cerulean, its light is visibly dimmer.

>gaze up

Kay
Re: The Gemstone Connection (Update) 11/07/2003 04:28 PM CST
> Even if the connection is so far back as to be beyond knowable character history, would it be harmful to let the players know just to satisfy our curiosity and interest?

Yes, because someone would start to bring it up in game. It's much better to simply leave it as a mystery.

~Y

http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html
Re: The Gemstone Connection 11/25/2003 11:35 PM CST
I wish we knew the Gemstone/DR connection. I realize that most players aren't uhm -- well. Let's face it, aren't good enough RPers to keep that information oog. Best not tempt us with the fruit I guess, no matter how much we want to taste it :(

~/\/\eanne~

This is the dead land
This is cactus land
Here the stone images
Are raised, here they receive
The supplication of a dead man's hand
Under the twinkle of a fading star.

IM me @: BlackfireMagess
Re: The Gemstone Connection 11/25/2003 11:44 PM CST
<< I wish we knew the Gemstone/DR connection. I realize that most players aren't uhm -- well. Let's face it, aren't good enough RPers to keep that information oog. Best not tempt us with the fruit I guess, no matter how much we want to taste it :(

I think they just wish it would go away, that we'd stop asking, and that they'd chosen a name other than Elanthia for the world of DR...

Glenlivet
Re: The Gemstone Connection 11/26/2003 12:38 PM CST
<I wish we knew the Gemstone/DR connection. I realize that most players aren't uhm -- well. Let's face it, aren't good enough RPers to keep that information oog.>

Although I know that probably is not directed at me, i do think that it is rather unfair of you to make a statement like that, especially since the concept has been well known for some time and I have never encountered anyone trying to bring it IG.

~Some people drink coffee, I drink the blood of my enemies.~

~Bombmaster Blasword-ruining Poetus's chances to feed starving yaks since...whenever.
Re: The Gemstone Connection 11/26/2003 11:40 PM CST
Actually, the statement wasn't directed at anyone in particular. And certainly not at anyone that attempts to roleplay (you).

It was directed at Mr.XYZ who might be like: OH THE WORLD DRAGON IS INSIDE KATAMBA NOW!!!! SILLY RABBIT! during an RP scenario, which is something he wouldn't have known without aforementioned board-knowledge of GS3. (I've no idea if the world dragon is inside Katamba, it's just a crazy example).

We still have people RPing... *Kukalakai was just struck down. "OMG KUKALAKAI JUST DIED DID U SEE IT?!"

Or...

*Velmix logs in. >think EVERYONE PREPARE VELMIX IS HERE!!!!

Do you think the general base is ready to have some knowledge that requires mature restraint? It might sound condescending, but it's just common sense :( {As much as I WOULD like to know :(((}

~/\/\eanne~

This is the dead land
This is cactus land
Here the stone images
Are raised, here they receive
The supplication of a dead man's hand
Under the twinkle of a fading star.

IM me @: BlackfireMagess
Re: The Gemstone Connection 03/15/2004 07:31 PM CST
>It was directed at Mr.XYZ who might be like: OH THE WORLD DRAGON IS INSIDE KATAMBA NOW!!!! SILLY RABBIT! during an RP scenario, which is something he wouldn't have known without aforementioned board-knowledge of GS3. (I've no idea if the world dragon is inside Katamba, it's just a crazy example).

I know you just made up an example, but I can't help being anal and spewing out bits of knowledge. The World Dragon is actually sleeping at the center of the planet. He actually helps to keep the planet warm. And if Peri'el ever messes up her song and he wakes up, we're all pretty much screwed.

Qreyq

Come to the Packhouse!
http://packhouse.home.comcast.net----
Re: The Gemstone Connection 03/16/2004 04:35 PM CST
<<The World Dragon is actually sleeping at the center of the planet. He actually helps to keep the planet warm. And if Peri'el ever messes up her song and he wakes up, we're all pretty much screwed.

Gotta love mythology.

Alternate Mythology: The World Dragon is a sentinel of Elanthia bound to protect it from the whims of those who would seek to harm it, whether those whims come from some of the Immortals, the Heralds, etc..

Regards,
player of Syrath

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com

RL/IG Calendar 2004 www.geocities.com/staanstok/DRCalendar2004.htm
Re: The Gemstone Connection 03/18/2004 03:16 PM CST
>Alternate Mythology: The World Dragon is a sentinel of Elanthia bound to protect it from the whims of those who would seek to harm it, whether those whims come from some of the Immortals, the Heralds, etc..

And where's this said?

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: The Gemstone Connection 03/18/2004 03:49 PM CST
<<And where's this said?>>

Dwarven Creation Myth.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page