Why DR=GS3 01/01/2003 10:43 PM CST
Very simple concept...

Inflation... Over 50 thousand years...

Welcome to the crossing herbalist... 5-10 silvers will get you almost any herbal remedy.

We have magic.. Not potent, apocalyptic magic (besides fire rain, but that's what... level 40 and god knows what else... Gemstone mage gets that at level what.. 8? 9?), but magic.

50k-years pass

Welcome to the landing herbalist... Just about anything in the city you want costs at least ten thousand silver.

We have magic.. A sorceror can wave his arm, open up a black hole, and suck everyone inside to explode in the vacuum... He can take someone's inner mana, turn it into fire, lightning, ice, whatever... Then make it exit the victim's body (blood...gore... but lots of blood) to join him as pure energy.

A wizard can throw his arms skyward, and invite a fiery cataclysm to be hurled down from the skies above.

So.. The logical, if not possibly misinformed answer..

Since the gemstone 3 economy is about a billion times inflated compared to the dragonrealms economy.

And the magic here can be considered weak in comparison...

DR must be Gemstone's past.... As time passes, inflation arrives, and power increases.. Simple logic.
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 10:19 AM CST
<<DR must be Gemstone's past.... As time passes, inflation arrives, and power increases.. Simple logic. >>

As they say, "What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?" , literally. They are two entirely different continents with different economies and timelines. The pricing of herbs in GS can not possibly be compared to the price of herbs in DR. Indeed, no more then the price of tea in China 500 years (let alone 50,000) ago can be compared to the price of tea in Europe today.

As for magic, the logic is indeed simple. Scratch one moon and you would certainly see a dramatic decrease in power. at least lunar power. Over time and abuse, magic overall has probably lost a lot of the raw energy it once had in GS as well.

I would definitly agree DR is the distant future of GS, and that it's time for someone to become Christopher Columbus and make sail for the promise land going for the bold chance to proove myth true. Can you imagine all of those artifacts the long since dead of GS might of left behind for us to discover? =)
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 12:15 PM CST
>>Can you imagine all of those artifacts the long since dead of GS might of left behind for us to discover? =)

Sounds like a good epic quest idea for some team of GM's to develop.

Shaunn

PS- I hope they discover how GS3 empaths could fight without shock.
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 12:27 PM CST
<<PS- I hope they discover how GS3 empaths could fight without shock>>

Heh, they could also walk around with no heads. As long as they had hit points they couldn't ever die by overhealing.

-Jeresis
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 01:07 PM CST
>>Heh, they could also walk around with no heads. As long as they had hit points they couldn't ever die by overhealing.

This isn't really true. There is no such thing as a 'useless' body part in GS3. Anytime my head was removed, it was an instadeath crit and was only shown in the combat messaging otherwise it just looked like 'severe head trauma and bleeding from the ears'. But I digress, at least healing in DR is a lot more interesting and takes a lot more skill on the part of the player to do efficiently.

Just discover how to avoid shock, please, k thanks.

Shaunn
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 02:41 PM CST
>>Can you imagine all of those artifacts the long since dead of GS might of left behind for us to discover? =)

What evidence do you have that there isn't anyone there? <g>

Frankly, the civilization that is DR is pretty ignorant of what is around them. Despite there being past evidence of their being there, the peoples of the five provinces remained almost completely clueless to the existance of the Gorbesh, Rakash, or Prydaen, and those were practically next door in global terms.

Stick an ocean in there, and you might as well being talking about something from another world.

S'Kra creation stories indicate they also came from across an ocean. If that is true, is it talking about some distant portion of the same one that GSIII is on, or an entirely different one? How many continents does Elanthia have? How big are they?

It's this sort of thing that is going to leave DR almost infinitely expandable, at least in terms of geography.

Porlock
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 03:09 PM CST
exactly---who is to say there might not be survivers left from GS on the other side of the globe?

In terms of the sciences, seems the powers that be <In-game mages,governments, etc> know more about the moons than they do about their own planet.
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 07:17 PM CST
You know, I've occasionally thought it would be interesting to pit the forces of GS3 against the forces of DR, just because the guilds and abilities of each game are so diverse to make the games seem like entirely different worlds. Of course, it'd never happen, even if its just because the two games rely on entirely independent systems, but I'd love to see it, I think it'd be grand.

Shaunn
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 07:24 PM CST
<<You know, I've occasionally thought it would be interesting to pit the forces of GS3 against the forces of DR, just because the guilds and abilities of each game are so diverse to make the games seem like entirely different worlds. Of course, it'd never happen, even if its just because the two games rely on entirely independent systems, but I'd love to see it, I think it'd be grand.>>

Wouldn't be any contest. A properally trained sorcerror would destroy anyone in DR.

-Jeresis
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 07:38 PM CST
>>Wouldn't be any contest. A properally trained sorcerror would destroy anyone in DR.

But...but... I have good TD!!

Shaunn
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 07:52 PM CST
<<But...but... I have good TD!!>>

Two words: Focused Implosion, and if somehow you avoid that....

there's always ufocused implosion, seal the void, implode again then seal again. Will kill an entire room and only cost 74 mana total :)

-Jeresis
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 09:19 PM CST
DR should spar GS3 in Modus.

-Gheist
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 09:22 PM CST
Okies...

Back to history, folks, or take it somewhere else.

Porlock
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/02/2003 09:29 PM CST
Well...they probably would...except until you realize that they have 'ranks' too...and compared to ours those are pretty low. ::grins::

Focused Implosion could be nasty...but so could Aether Lash(Say goodbye to yer 10X armor, punk!) or Dragon's Breath...or Fire Rain...::grins::

-Chris, player of Mad Mage Kilan here and Saeben Kystrik, Journeyman, there.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 09:08 AM CST
Very good point Porlock. My assumptions on what has become of the lands GS3 were once based off of are just that, an assumption. DR is filled with a world of adventurers (the players) that are ever curious to whats out there. Even if the NPCs in the background are perfectly happy sitting in their cities, not so much as looking to see who lives next door.

We are the ones that make the difference and are the Christopher Columbus' of the world. I look forward to seeing whats out there myself, even if it does take 3+ RL days to ride the boat. <shudder>

Even with the player knowledge that there is a GS3 somewhere on the otherside of that ocean, we still have no clue just how far across that ocean we have to go or what lies between here and there. As you said: It's this sort of thing that is going to leave DR almost infinitely expandable, at least in terms of geography.
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 09:49 AM CST
>>I look forward to seeing whats out there myself, even if it does take 3+ RL days to ride the boat. <shudder>

Well, it would take as long as it would take, but I doubt you'd find it quite as boring as the boats are now.

<Skips the lecture about how blazingly fast the boats are already traveling at.>

The boats connecting the various places are really little more than a placeholder. An automatic mechanism that allows you the player to get from area A to area B without any real effort on your behalf, beyond patience. It doesn't even cost anything, despite the fact that RL sea travel was no small expense.

When player owned ships finally roll around, I'll bet some will be talking nostalgically about the 'good old days' when you didn't have to spend a fortune to get a boat, or keep up a crew, or worry about navigation, or keep the boat maintained, or bailing out water during storms, or fending off whatever tries to take your boat from you.

And this will be just cruising around the places you already know. Remove the knowledge that there is actually an island or mainland to aim at, and where does that leave you? Striking out into unknown waters, and having to manage all the above factors, should relieve the relative boredom of the overwater travel.

I imagine whatever places are there for you all to find if you make it will seem all the more wonderful for the effort it took to get there.

Porlock
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 11:09 AM CST
>When player owned ships finally roll around, I'll bet some will be talking nostalgically about the 'good old days' when you didn't have to spend a fortune to get a boat, or keep up a crew, or worry about navigation, or keep the boat maintained, or bailing out water during storms, or fending off whatever tries to take your boat from you.

>And this will be just cruising around the places you already know. Remove the knowledge that there is actually an island or mainland to aim at, and where does that leave you? Striking out into unknown waters, and having to manage all the above factors, should relieve the relative boredom of the overwater travel.

Paklin,

If all this comes to pass, I will truly become a waterborne bear. The whole reason I hate the boats now is because they are exactly what they are: boring time-wasting place-holders that you have no control over.

If I am able to get a longship, crew it with a pack of raving marauders, and set sail for parts unknown, I will be one very happy camper.

Even if it costs me hundreds of plats to do.

~Kodiac
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 11:15 AM CST
<<If I am able to get a longship>>

<<Even if it costs me hundreds of plats to do.>>

Hundreds of hundreds, maybe. ::grin:: At the very least, tens of hundreds, most likely.

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 11:27 AM CST
>Hundreds of hundreds, maybe. ::grin:: At the very least, tens of hundreds, most likely.

Whoah. Ok.

::Counts his coppers...::

Guess I need to get on the ball and mend those holes in my pockets.

Will ships be alterable? ;-)

And can I buy a no-mana ship? :D

~Kodiac, future Columbus wanna-be
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 12:07 PM CST
>>Paklin

<Adds Kodiac to the list of people who need to be vaporized for mistaking me for Paklin.>

;p

Porlock
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 12:10 PM CST
In an open world who needs Porlocks or Paklins anyhow?

Arctuniol

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 12:17 PM CST
I blame the fact that I'm at work reading my boards between passes by the boss.

My apologies to all the P-people that may have been offended.

Still want a longship, though. :)

~Kodiac
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 12:40 PM CST
>>Hundreds of hundreds, maybe. ::grin:: At the very least, tens of hundreds, most likely.

I like that idea. Would mean the rich folk would have to form partnerships to get a boat going and set sail for the open seas. And they could make some of that money back by charging for passage on their vessel giving people the opportunity to be the first to venture into the unknown. I just hope you guys will have at least one or two things out there for us to find. :)

-Ranik
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 01:18 PM CST
<<I just hope you guys will have at least one or two things out there for us to find. :)>>

Like water and more water. The only thing that would be worth the fun of a ship, would be to hijack another ship and sink it and killing everyone on board, and then having them depart back on your ship in the stockade and forced to rowe for you.

Arctuniol

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 01:22 PM CST
>>Arctuniol

I'll be sure to take the boat that doesn't sail in your waters.

-Ranik
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 01:26 PM CST
<<The only thing that would be worth the fun of a ship, would be to hijack another ship and sink it and killing everyone on board, and then having them depart back on your ship in the stockade and forced to rowe for you.>>

hmmm. you mean like..... Pirates?
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 02:01 PM CST
I look forward to the day ships are controlled by the players. A world is never truely complete until it has been completly sailed around afterall.
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 03:24 PM CST
I'm waiting for someone to buy a 90th circle Trader that has his own longboat, then getting his 100 passengers lost at sea.

Trader says, "OMG I am new plz sthu".
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 03:36 PM CST
since there's less than 5 over 90th traders <at least in prime> i think you'll be waiting awhile. ;-)
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/03/2003 09:45 PM CST
"If I am able to get a longship, crew it with a pack of raving marauders, and set sail for parts unknown, I will be one very happy camper."

Id mark my x and crew her with the bear

A royal blue waistcoat reads:
"Stone Clan Navy Forever"

Grimslayer
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/04/2003 03:36 PM CST
>"If I am able to get a longship, crew it with a pack of raving marauders, and set sail for parts unknown, I will be one very happy camper."

And when you do, if you need a Skald to sing your crew's praises, as well as help in combat, I would be more than happy to sign up <g> That would be an adventure!

Blaayd

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?... W.C. Fields
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/04/2003 06:38 PM CST
Blaayd,

I'll be sure to post in the bard folders for a noteworthy skald.

What's the point of being heroically foolish if you have no one to sing songs and tell the saga afterward?

~Kodiac
Re: Why DR=GS3 01/06/2003 11:47 AM CST
While entertaining, discussion about owning boats and 90+ traders don't belong here. Please take that to the Gen. Discussions folder. However, if you wish to continue on about Elanthian History, please do so here.

Questions or comments may be sent to mod-liebeth@play.net

Regards,

Mod Liebeth