"Policy Discussion/Questions" from General Discussions on Policy 09/16/2018 09:17 PM CDT
Please continue to conflict here.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 05:49 PM CDT
>>This isnt GS. If you love GS so much, go play GS. This is DR and its very much its own beast complete with its own set of community standards, rules, acceptable and unacceptable behaviors, positives and negatives.

Now this thread serves as an excellent illustration of the toxicity of the community.
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 06:03 PM CDT
>But the, I hate your opinion, and now I'm going to kill you, and guess what, you can't do anything about it, is not okay.
No one says that's ok. Has that happened? If you feel you have been targeted and harassed in game, you should definitely assist or report for it.

It has not happened thankfully, and I would prefer not to waste GM time (and my time) if it should happen. But the person I mentioned in the initial post is certain she is allowed to do it, and get away with it. Which I feel is wrong. It should be clear that behavior like that is not acceptable, and I don't believe it currently is.

I think this thread is an excellent summary of why the game's consent policies are irrevocably broken.

I wouldn't go so far as to say irrevocably broken, but having a conversation about them is a good place to start on how to fix them to make the game better as a whole.

DOORKEEPER:
This is the policy they actually go by.
> Q) I'm PvP Closed but a necromancer summoned one anyhow!
> A) Treat the creature as any other invasion creature: Fight, run or die.

I'll take door number 2 Wayne. But I don't feel like that resolves the overall issue. Games should have clearly defined rules, and hopefully the same rules for every player of said game.

And to think all of this came from a single sarcastic comment in the same discord channel where the OP was complaining that people werent playing the game in a way that he approved of and therefore should have to change their playstyles.

I didn't take the comment as being sarcastic, it was pretty clearly a threat to me. I also wasn't complaining that people weren't playing the game the way I think they should, or approved of. I merely hold the opinion that roleplaying should be consensual (meaning enjoyable to both sides). She clearly disagreed and her comments made me believe she was going to prove that it doesn't have to be enjoyable for both sides, and good luck doing anything about it. The system was set up to allow her to do whatever she wanted to me, whether I liked it or not.

I'm also not asking anyone to change their playstyle. I'm merely asking that you find other people who also enjoy that playstyle instead of forcing people who DO NOT enjoy it to participate.

This isnt GS. If you love GS so much, go play GS. This is DR and its very much its own beast complete with its own set of community standards, rules, acceptable and unacceptable behaviors, positives and negatives.
-Nsar

I appreciate the warm welcome. I do realize that DR is it's own game. And I was surprised to see the differences in policy in both games. However, GS doesn't have the same complaints about being "toxic" that DR does. And maybe there's a reason for that. One of the stated goals is to improve the community, so people stick around and enjoy playing. Maybe closing loopholes and defining acceptable behavior is a good place to start community building?
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 06:15 PM CDT

Ok...you're making me post on this because I'm tired of only half of what happened being shared and I"m tired of being told that it's still going on. First of...FIRST OFF...every single thing I said to you, was sarcasm, anyone that knows me...knows that 99% of what I say is nothing but sarcasm, and I guess this time I just had to facepalm because well my sarcasm got taken seriously. Hint to sarcasm--risen can't drop orbs, they can't, they have no way to do so...other necro pets, they only attack if they are attacked first, not just willy nilly. I never ever said that anyone should be killed without consent. WHAT I said was....orbs are something that are at a necro's disposal to be used if they see fit to use one and yes they are legal. They are to be treated as an invasion creature, just like policy states. No necro ever...that I know of...I say that I know of..has hunted someone down and used an orb on said one person. That is not kosher and most of us that have a necromancer know this. Mine used to go in populated places...you know..like an invasion creature...now when I use one I put them in out of the way places, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Dude...I helped you out, I gave you things so you didn't have to use plat to get stuff....but now you see sarcasm as actual threats. Man if everyone that saw sarcasm as actual threats saw things the way you did...we'd all be in trouble. So since you spun this to make it seem just your way and now you have a following of people that see things your way when uhhh you left some stuff out. Let me say this...I love sarcasm, it's like punching someone in the face, only with words.

Z

I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 06:15 PM CDT
>>Attacking someone in game because you had a tiff with them in Discord is not consistent with any community standards or rules in DR. If that is part of someone's play style then it should change, and they should be encouraged to change.

While true in this case it was just a bit of sarcasm and yeah that can be at times hard to parse through text best not make mountains over molehills. Also feels a bit weird to be taking a discord tuff to the official forums. That's not directed at you Maz, just a general thing for this whole thread.

>>DOORKEEPER

Ok. You seems to be a little confused and uninformed on how Necromancers work in general. I'll give a brief rundown and explain how that applies to policy.

Necro's can make, more or less at their whim, 2 "combat pets". Zombies are their primary combat pet, big strong and beefy. Constructs (as relevant to the 2010 policy posting on Necro's and consent) are mud men, weaker than zombies and don't last much longer then a standard spell.

Risen are basically war mage familiars with a complex system to build them and some neat utility, they can fight but are very weak. Glass Constructs are special "make your own invasions" creatures that leave the Necromancer very vulnerable for a bit after they are created. The source of them are "glass orbs" that are mostly sourced from guild fest which is held once every 2 RL years.

Zombies, mud men, and risen you are free to attack but doing so leaves you open to retaliation from the Necromancer who created them. The "baiting" you referenced was that in the past a Necromancer might put a Zombie in a hunting ground and wait for someone to attack it as a way farm consent. That is not within policy. Leaving your Zombie in the Empath guild, a public space, totally ok. Risen are not able to summon a glass construct for the Necromancer. The worst thing a Risen is gonna do you to is talk or maybe start singing(no really).

Glass constructs are viewed as a "make your own invasion" items. There also exists creature capture jars that also allow anyone to do something similar to what glass constructs do. Jars also don't leave their user in a vulnerable state. I can also kill a whole room by triggering a gas trap on a box. I can also infect a whole room with a disease by getting myself infected and then just standing around other people. Players can also trigger auto-invasions by talking to the NPC that walks around the major cities. Necromancers don't have any special way to bypass PvP policy.

Glass orbs have their own restrictions as well. Releasing one in a hunting ground is a no-no, just outside the hunting ground is fine though. Targeting a specific person over and over is a no-no. Hitting the Empath guild a few times a week when a specific player happen to hang out there a lot is fine.

These items exist to provide conflict in a dangerous world. It's to give a nice strong motivator for hunting down the evil necromancer who committed an act of terrorism on the fair city of Crossing. It helps divide the line between those who RP a Perverse Necromancer and those who are Philosophers. It also gives the perverse necro a tool to be disruptive without it devolving into harassment or consent nightmares. Can orbs/glass constructs/creature jars be used for harassment? Yes. So can any number of things within the game that players can do to each other. There are harsh penalties for abusing those tools.

You see these things are bullying and diversive. I see them as important RP tools. Call for people on the gweth to come and defend, gather a pitchfork and torch wielding mob to hunt down the evil that has unleashed the monstrosity upon the town. Run and cower before the might of the Necromancer in question. RP and conflicts in general are not always very fair. They don't need to be. It's about how you choose to RP your characters reactions that's important.
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 06:23 PM CDT

But, in GS, during our Duskruin event, I spent upwards of $3000 on MT.

Someone change the game for this man!!!!!
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 07:18 PM CDT

First of...FIRST OFF...every single thing I said to you, was sarcasm, anyone that knows me...knows that 99% of what I say is nothing but sarcasm, and I guess this time I just had to facepalm because well my sarcasm got taken seriously.

I don't know you. But you are at least aware of me being a new player and could have taken that into consideration with your comments.

Last Friday at 8:38 PM
can you not be a moron?

The comment above doesn't set the stage for you simply joking around.

And no offense, but people have warned me about you and it didn't seem out of the realm of possibilities of what you might do from what I've been told.

I make my own decisions about people, but you clearly played into the narrative that people are writing about you with your own actions.

Someone Not You -- Last Friday at 7:44 PM
look the guy lost it
You -- Last Friday at 7:44 PM
should have vaulted it
Last Friday at 7:45 PM
vaulted then sold it

I realize it's part of the game, but that's not part of the game that I want to participate in. Based upon what I've read, you seem to enjoy the conflict/graverob/sell someone elses stuff part of the game. If you find other people who also enjoy that, I don't really care, you both agreed to it. It's only when you attempt to create that conflict with every person you meet (including me) that I begin to care.

Hint to sarcasm--risen can't drop orbs, they can't, they have no way to do so...other necro pets, they only attack if they are attacked first, not just willy nilly.

Thank you for the information. Going back to reread the conversation, it appears that the risen was just a way to locate me, and you would be dropping the orb yourself. It wasn't clear to me what abilities necromancers possess, so I better understand how you would accomplish it now. You could either locate me via the risen, and drop the orb yourself. Or tempt me to attack a risen, where you would gain consent to smash me. In either scenario, you have a way to attack me, which I feel is a flaw in the system.

Dude...I helped you out, I gave you things so you didn't have to use plat to get stuff....but now you see sarcasm as actual threats.

I'm aware of this, and I appreciate the gifts you gave me. That's also a reason I was taken aback by your comments. You seemed to go from being nice and helpful to the extreme opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe you could make it clear in the future that you were just kidding so someone doesn't assume the worst about you. I can chalk this up as me misunderstanding your intent behind the comments.

I still think there are policy issues though.

While true in this case it was just a bit of sarcasm and yeah that can be at times hard to parse through text best not make mountains over molehills. Also feels a bit weird to be taking a discord tuff to the official forums. That's not directed at you Maz, just a general thing for this whole thread.

Is there a better place to get answers regarding the rules? I've learned many things from the conversation this thread has started.

The worst thing a Risen is gonna do you to is talk or maybe start singing(no really).

L O L -- I'm picturing singing zombies in my head rn.

But a good post View, I'll think about what you shared.
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 07:18 PM CDT
> anyone that knows me...knows that 99% of what I say is nothing but sarcasm, and I guess this time I just had to facepalm because well my sarcasm got taken seriously.

So, since I can't hear your tone via text, which three words out of around 300 should I take seriously out of that?

- Saragos
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 07:25 PM CDT
All the words, all the time, except for the 1% where I'm being serious.

Z

I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 07:28 PM CDT
Attacking new players seems, in the main, to be a very bad way to retain new players. "Joking around" with them in a way that is indiscernible from what constitutes harassment seems like a very bad way to comport yourself in general.
Re: Policy Discussion/Questions 09/16/2018 11:54 PM CDT

Isn't a new player generally someone who doesn't know the rules? We take the time to try to tell them the rules, but sometimes ThIs scenario is the result. :/

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Thanks for being in my corner Solomon, come back soon.