Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/14/2017 04:34 PM CDT
Would there be any bonus to this 'hardcore' mode? Would it show up in your profile? Other than a chance of rerolling on death without favors, what other things would it comprise?
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/14/2017 04:38 PM CDT
>>Not all of us are after a ridiculously-immersive roleplay heavy experience from DR. Some of us just want to collect stuff, or watch numbers go up, and that's fine.

I don't necessarily think permadeath is by default a sign of a heavy roleplay experience. If people want to do it, fine, but I disagree with the view that people not interested in permadeath aren't interested in "heavy" roleplay.

The reality is that the game mechanics, and general way the game promotes/presents itself, is counter to the idea that things can be gone forever.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/14/2017 04:38 PM CDT
>Would there be any bonus to this 'hardcore' mode? Would it show up in your profile? Other than a chance of rerolling on death without favors, what other things would it comprise?

As far as personal benefits go, I wouldn't wanna see anything too crazy. Hardcore-specific titles, maybe? Stuff along those lines.

The biggest benefit is the impact on the game world, imo. Characters actually dying has a good impact on RP, not to mention making favors, clerics, and some paladin abilities relevant again, and perhaps also tying in some ideas for necromancers.
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/14/2017 04:44 PM CDT
>The reality is that the game mechanics, and general way the game promotes/presents itself, is counter to the idea that things can be gone forever.

It didn't used to be that way, and doesn't have to stay that way, but you are correct. I hope it moves in a better direction, giving those of us who want to experience these sorts of things the ability to do so without impinging on the collect-stuff and make-numbers-go-up players.

>I don't necessarily think permadeath is by default a sign of a heavy roleplay experience. If people want to do it, fine, but I disagree with the view that people not interested in permadeath aren't interested in "heavy" roleplay.

I think I see what you mean. What I meant is that currently there's no real way to roleplay as though death is important. No mechanically supported way, anyway. Like I was saying before, the grave of a dead friend, avenging said dead friend, resting easy once a foe has been vanquished, and many other things just aren't really doable (or else are extremely awkward and more comedic than impactful, like the suggestion to retire and pretend it was a death.) There are, of course, plenty of other ways to engage in some serious RP. Just currently not in ways that involve people actually dying, which in my opinion is vitally important and currently missing.
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/14/2017 05:00 PM CDT
If you want your character to irrevocably die forever at any moment, go play Tome 4 on insane difficulty.

Our playerbase is getting a little long in the tooth and play time is increasingly infringed upon by RL to be all that interested in flushing years (coming up on decades for many) of ranks and accumulated gear down the toilet.
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/14/2017 05:15 PM CDT
>>It didn't used to be that way, and doesn't have to stay that way, but you are correct. I hope it moves in a better direction, giving those of us who want to experience these sorts of things the ability to do so without impinging on the collect-stuff and make-numbers-go-up players.

I think the experience can be there, but the general "here are quests to get super duper fun things please pay $25" isn't going to make the setup default. I don't think quests would be as viable/attractive as a secondary revenue stream if the stuff had a chance of being lost (or your character could be lost). Plus, permadeath on a character that's a few months old is a lot more "okay I can deal" than one that has had a decade+ put into it.

>>I think I see what you mean. What I meant is that currently there's no real way to roleplay as though death is important. No mechanically supported way, anyway. Like I was saying before, the grave of a dead friend, avenging said dead friend, resting easy once a foe has been vanquished, and many other things just aren't really doable (or else are extremely awkward and more comedic than impactful, like the suggestion to retire and pretend it was a death.) There are, of course, plenty of other ways to engage in some serious RP. Just currently not in ways that involve people actually dying, which in my opinion is vitally important and currently missing.

That's reasonable. My character, ICly, doesn't "know" that you can never ever ever ever ever ever ever actually die, so she treats it with a level of "well I am not going to throw myself into a sacrificial situation," including a disinterest in all those death games at Hollow Eve. IMO, "walking the starry road" is still a real risk/threat for hero classes, even if the game mechanics don't allow it anymore.

But you are correct that, realistically, the door is pretty closed with the "I will avenge my friend" type stuff.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/14/2017 05:36 PM CDT
>If you want your character to irrevocably die forever at any moment, go play Tome 4 on insane difficulty.

Are you serious? It's not at all the same game, and also almost totally irrelevant to the suggestion. Wehn I want a solid Roguelike game, I play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, btw. But these are primarily action/tactics games. Dragonrealms is so much more than only that (I'd say much, much more roleplay than action, but I suppose that depends on individual playstyle,) but could still benefit from an optional hardcore mode.

>Our playerbase is getting a little long in the tooth and play time is increasingly infringed upon by RL to be all that interested in flushing years (coming up on decades for many) of ranks and accumulated gear down the toilet.
Optional. Optional. And not the default option, either. In fact, players should receive a warning before turning the option on.
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/14/2017 06:14 PM CDT
>>Wehn I want a solid Roguelike game, I play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, btw. But these are primarily action/tactics games.

+1. Now that is a difficult hardcore game.

Harcore in DR would be... a little weird. But I'd be in favor of it for people interested in it. I'd want to see some kind of reward, and faster exp gain at least.

- Navesi
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/14/2017 06:26 PM CDT
Honestly you don't want hardcore.

You want people to notice you. Seriously, you could do all of the hardcore without any coding, but you're hung up on people not seeing that 'so and so rode the comet' message game wide.

That's literally the only objection you've raised...
Re: Random Attacks/Murder 05/15/2017 08:41 AM CDT

>IMO most of the people who say they want to see walking come back are imagining other people's characters riding the comets.

This. If people want another noobwars they should organize it.

> Dragonrealms is so much more than only that (I'd say much, much more roleplay than action, but I suppose that depends on individual playstyle,) but could still benefit from an optional hardcore mode.

Dragonrealms is also a rank vs rank game that is semi-decently balanced at rank, but only semi. It hasn't been a roguelike for wellllll over a decade. Hell, 10 years ago people were having tantrums and ragequitting BECAUSE they got walked. Lets put this one to rest.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page