The state of RP in DR. 02/26/2013 11:42 PM CST
Most of the RP I have seen lately is either here, let me kill you (PVP open or guarded) or I will annoy you until you give me consent.(PvP guarded or closed). The other rp I have seen beside that has been a group of the same 10-20 people and their GM friends. The rest of it has been assorted flirting. The two exceptions are a new player Empath around Crossing and a Trader who is probably GM Solomon messing around because he is bored.

I am coming to accept that DR has become a place where people mainly just train constantly and only those who are particularly favored (by staff and friends of staff) seem to enjoy that aspect of the game. If I want to rp I will just go to GS or AOH for the most part or maybe platinum DR if they manage to have more than a half a dozen or so people.
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/26/2013 11:53 PM CST
I think this is one of the least informed posts I have read in a really long time. Let me give you some recent examples:

1. Have you ever met a small character named Navesi? She is an absolute noob character that decided to RP an "investigator" to gather information and give it to Zoluren. Absolute fantastic RP'ed character and gaining some serious respect from people. I met her randomly because she put herself in a situation where people would notice her.

2. Eyune is one of the most amazing RP characters I have seen in a really long time. Quirky, cool and makes me want to read what she says. None of these characters are PvP-centric.

I could probably name ten characters that don't PvP that are outstanding.

Madigan
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/26/2013 11:56 PM CST
I don't think staff is favoring certain players. There is simply a pool of players who event-chase, which is perfectly fine since it is an easy source of roleplay interaction.

If you want a better rp environment, be the change that sparks it. I find a good deal of standard rp between training sessions, if you go out and look for it.
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/27/2013 02:17 AM CST
>>2. Eyune is one of the most amazing RP characters I have seen in a really long time.

I'm not sure what this post was responding to, but thanks! (Assuming you mean me and not someone named Eyune.) I didn't even realize you'd met Eyuve.

In general I am a proponent of PVP when the story calls for it. Do whatever action stays true to the character and makes for a good story. I love a good death sometimes -- it can get people's attention, it can make people protective, it can start the road to vengeance, etc. (I do kind of wish you wouldn't lose scrolls upon death now though.)

When the Outcast war hit, I remember being miffed about it, but only because it locked out my then-character from doing her thing. I didn't know of any places to meet up and resist, NPCs and PCs alike were scattered, and it was frustrating. I've grown a lot since then and would love to try my hand at it again, but I would recommend a kind of dedicated space to funnel people, ways to pass around news and retrieve items from shops (hello thievery?), and of course some big resistance events. Lyras War was great too, though.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/27/2013 08:34 AM CST
There are some amazing RPers and events out there. And really it is what you make it.

A lot of people had been complaining that there were no events or RP related to the necromancer guild and that a lot of people felt like socialization for the guild was impossible, so instead of whine about it I decided to come up with an event and try to make it happen. Just in taking the time to post something on the forums (the event hasn't even happened yet), I've already had a few people seek me out and RP with me.

I hate to get all cheesy movie cliche but "If you build it they will come (unless it is something crazy like the whole Prydaen bank incident)"
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/27/2013 09:52 AM CST
<<-- Player of Eyuve

Gah, sorry I missed the "v". Apparently I was typing too fast.

Madigan
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/27/2013 02:20 PM CST
I was about 30th circle during the Outcast War and it really shaped the game for me. I absolutely loved it.

I died in the firecats/maidens area near Dirge one time. I departed and it took me straight to Riverhaven. I was stuck in the temple area in Riverhaven and whenever I tried to leave I got blasted by Outcasts. Someone eventually rescued me with a moongate to Lang. I lost every item I had on me and there was some stuff I really really liked, but in the process I made some friends and it made the entire event that much more epic for me.

I'm sorry to hear that we lost some good GMs over players whining from a little inconvenience.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/27/2013 04:31 PM CST
I wasn't around for the Outcast War, from some of the descriptions I'm probably glad I missed it because I love the game, I love the change into 3.0, I love a lot of the current events that are currently happening and of course I loved the War against Lyras and her minions (I hope you can see that because the time we beat her is still part of my signature).

So keep it up GMs, Kudos between development, and events its all pretty nice from my point of view.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/27/2013 05:17 PM CST
I regret being barely active during The Outcast War and outright missing everything connected to Lyras :(

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/27/2013 06:58 PM CST
You also have to consider the location where you are for what kind of RP you're wanting. If you're in Therengia, expect much more PvP a la necromancers/banned vs brigades. That doesn't mean there is just PvP up there, though. Shard has a very active Court and much less reason for organized militia vs PC badies. I won't speak for the others as I haven't been in them for years. If you're just sitting at the gathering spots and expecting RP to be dumped in your lap, then you're right, there is dismal RP in the game. Folks usually will respond in some way if you initiate RP, so really if you're missing RP ... start some. There are also several active RP groups.

Player of: Lyathe and Saslisena
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/27/2013 11:41 PM CST
>>I'd argue that the hardest thing to RP would be doing any of that from the 'bottom up' and not from the top down like most folks are accustomed to these days. Its fairly easy to be a bad guy when you can smoke 99% of the game.

A thousand times this. If I even had a chance to stand up to half of the population I would play an "evil" character all day. I briefly started playing one of my old Thieves(who is like circle 20) again last month and tried to RP more of a bad guy. It lasted about two days, because even when I went out of my way to only start things with people I thought were around my circle eventually someone who outclassed me by 50+ circles would show up, get involved, warn me to straight up my act, and then kill me the next time I said a word(and one time simply saw I was open and being bad, so just killed me without a word). You can only get killed within 15 minutes of starting some RP every time you go out so many times before you start becoming less of a "bad guy" and more of a "Scooby Doo villain".

While it's possible and some people have the mindset for it, I find it's really hard to keep yourself interested in immediately getting killed with no chance of ever winning every single time you go out.
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/28/2013 01:12 AM CST
>>I find it's really hard to keep yourself interested in immediately getting killed with no chance of ever winning every single time you go out.

It's not really about winning the individual fight. The limitations you place on yourself and your own RP by trying to selectively start things with certain people you think capable of being killed will rear around and bite you right back. Eliminate those limitations as well as all expectations and your reputation will grow.

There have been several evil/semi-evil characters of low circle. Sure, you won't be able to go smash half of the game but then that's something you'll have to work towards if you want to accomplish it.

Also, I don't think skill level determines whether or not you are a 'bad guy' or a 'Scooby Doo-Cartoon Villain'. Subtlety is the key here. The more you jump into random skirmishes/events and force something in people's faces, the more you become a cartoon villain if you lose. My suggestion is to be creative and establish some build-up. There are several events going on (player-driven as well) that can help with it. There were several low-circled characters I've wondered about til this day. Some I had wondered about for awhile until they chose the perfect time to capitalize on an opportunity, and that's when they became the legitimate 'bad guy' and not the 'Scooby Doo' that goes around recklessly starting stuff and getting hammered.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/28/2013 01:38 AM CST
>>It's not really about winning the individual fight. The limitations you place on yourself and your own RP by trying to selectively start things with certain people you think capable of being killed will rear around and bite you right back

That's not really what I meant. I didn't go around picking fights with people weaker than me. I just tried to avoid people who could two shot me, because that got really old really fast. It's not about winning all the time, it's about being able to extend the conflict. I actively tried to avoid combat even starting, but it inevitably ends with someone 50 or more circles higher than me stepping in and saying, "Stop that or I'll kill you!" at which point the verbal/whatever conflict I have going on with the other person is more or less done, because 99% of the time surprise, they would immediately kill me if I didn't stop. At which point the conflict turns into, "I thought I told you to cut that out!" followed by another death, or a thump, or any other number of things that get frustrating and end it pretty quickly.

I think low circle "evil" RP breaks down for two major reasons. One, HLC's get involved as soon as something starts, which leads to the second problem... if they see someone who is obviously much lower than them acting evil their immediate reaction is, "TIME TO DIE!" because they know they can take them out in 2-3 hits and be the "hero".
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/28/2013 02:35 AM CST
That's too bad. HLC white hats should try to take a little more time before breaking out the violence. Try to OOC whisper to them? I dunno. Personally, I like to see how it develops and lend subtle aid when I can. I tend to have less patience with an opponent that will trounce me.. I guess I just wanna get the depart over with.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/28/2013 07:17 AM CST
>>That's too bad. HLC white hats should try to take a little more time before breaking out the violence.

This reminds of the time a few months back when I saw a theif stealing at the war mage guild and I called him out on it. I'm pretty sure I could have one shoted him but I deciced not to, instead we went back and forth verbally for a good 15-20 minutes. For me at least it turned out to be alot more fun then search, point, cast ALA then dead. The urge to kill right away can be tempting but it can be so much better if you stay your hand (or magic) for at least abit to make the most of your interactions, it all depends of what you make of it.
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/28/2013 07:42 AM CST
"I think low circle "evil" RP breaks down for two major reasons. One, HLC's get involved as soon as something starts, which leads to the second problem... if they see someone who is obviously much lower than them acting evil their immediate reaction is, "TIME TO DIE!" because they know they can take them out in 2-3 hits and be the "hero"."

In a world essentially populated by super heroes you're not going to experience a lot of success playing the role of a minor street thug, but evil RP doesn't have to be about picking fights and making people uncomfortable all the time. I think that's what Vin was trying to get at.

Try just RPing a character with a consistent set of principles and personality (this is hard, imo) without going out of your way to be evil, and stick to those whether it seems convenient or not. You'll gain a reputation that might make things easier for you down the line.
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/28/2013 09:16 AM CST
<<HLC white hats should try to take a little more time before breaking out the violence.

<<Also, I don't think skill level determines whether or not you are a 'bad guy' or a 'Scooby Doo-Cartoon Villain'. Subtlety is the key here. The more you jump into random skirmishes/events and force something in people's faces, the more you become a cartoon villain if you lose.

There is some serious ++ going on in this thread. Liked the statements above.

Madigan
Re: The state of RP in DR. 02/28/2013 10:25 AM CST
<<HLC white hats should try to take a little more time before breaking out the violence.>>

Its funny, I've always found that devastating someone with words in a text game was always so much more effective and gratifying than killing them.

Its impossible to "depart full" and wash away getting made to look like an ass.

- Buuwl