Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/27/2013 12:00 AM CST
I thought the Lyras war was fine. Go with that model.

Personally speaking I'm down to Rping with anyone as long as they come across interesting. Dudes walking in the west gate, calling people losers and expecting RP to evolve off that are not interesting to me. Bad guy groups are possible and I've found ways to back that sort of thing IG before. I just find that there are people who are completely not open to that even being a possibility. I tend to consider it a combo of people deciding they don't want to like certain folks and a lack of imagination.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/27/2013 06:19 AM CST
>>I thought the Lyras war was fine. Go with that model.<<

Yeah, IMO this worked pretty well and was fun.

I liked the various DP events leading up to P5's opening and the Crusade that came later, too. Mixing it up by taking the fight to the enemy was a fun change of pace, and it was easier to be uninvolved if that's what you wanted to do.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/27/2013 07:17 AM CST
>>The Outcast War really, really caused drama, didn't it?

It really did, and we lost good GMs over it. If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm still a bit bitter over the entire thing.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/27/2013 07:25 AM CST
I actually liked both the Lyras and Outcast war models.

Pants.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/27/2013 07:31 AM CST
>>I actually liked both the Lyras and Outcast war models.

I'm still blown away by the player base reaction to the Outcast war... I loved it, stuff was genuinely scary!

But given the effect, I can totally understand the GM response to not let those circumstances happen again, because the cost was far too high if it resulted in loss of quality staff :(

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/27/2013 08:13 AM CST
<<It really did, and we lost good GMs over it. If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm still a bit bitter over the entire thing.>>

That's sad. I've heard stories of some of the wild player responses to that set of events and I never really understood it. I know I'm not the only one that had an epic good time in that stretch of events. The Lyras war was also super awesome though, and I'm sure a mix-mash of different aspects of each under new mechanics could be even better (barricades/bosses/seige weaponry/etc). I'm excited to see what comes down the road with all the potential loaded up in 3.0.

<<I can totally understand the GM response to not let those circumstances happen again, because the cost was far too high if it resulted in loss of quality staff :(>>

Yeah, without knowing the details, it seems like that kind of overwhelmingly crazy response from players (even if it's only a very small minority) is not worth risking.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/27/2013 08:49 AM CST
>That's sad. I've heard stories of some of the wild player responses to that set of events and I never really understood it.

While my memory isn't reliable, what I do remember about the Outcast War was how frustrating it was just to move around. I somewhat recall trying to go to another city on a few occasions and getting instantly killed from the dozens of Outcasts that were positioned across the mainland. Now, granted I was maybe mid 30ish - 50ish circle during that time, but I just remember it was exremely irritating to be unable to get to another place without being killed at least once or more often numerous times trying to get there and maybe that's part of what some or most of the rage was about, I don't know though. While I was annoyed or whatever, I certainly wasn't going to rage quit over it, nor was I going to scream at the GM's for it.

So, basically, a lot of low circle/skilled people being unable to move about to do everyday things like travel, was an issue to a lot of people, I think.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/27/2013 09:26 AM CST
>>The Outcast War really, really caused drama, didn't it?<<

>>It really did, and we lost good GMs over it. If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm still a bit bitter over the entire thing.<<

I left DR prime because of the Outcast War. There wasn't a single aspect of that event that was remotely fun (to me). I stayed in DR over in TF for the next 8 or so years and finally came back to prime. I was a bit leery of the 3.0 conversion, but all things considered, I'm actually surprised that it's gone this well. Sure, there have been some bugs, and more bugs need to be fixed, but overall the game "feels" the same and for the most part I like the changes. I expect we might lose a few GMs and players over this though as well.

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/27/2013 04:28 PM CST
> I really try to be neutral. The ultimate cop out/sellout and self preservation. Give me a whiskey and a turkey bone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ws_APXilE
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/28/2013 10:22 AM CST
>>It's not an iron-clad rule, but an excellent rule of thumb. "Good guys always win in the end" is a mixture of acknowledging the heroic fantasy roots of the game's fictional influences and a self-defense mechanism to prevent more GMs from getting burnt out trying to do stuff the community historically had an aneurism over.

Armifer, I want to touch on this.

Sure, the good guys usually win in the end but you need to look at something like Mibgluc. We may have on in the end, (I reveled in standing over his corpse after pounding his chest into a fine fleshy mist) but he created a lasting, painful turn of events that can still be felt.

I missed Lyras, but the death of Prince Vorclaf is another example. Didn't even play when it happened and it was a traumatic thing for Elriic nonetheless.

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/28/2013 11:45 AM CST
I have to say I loved the Outcast war, and even became an Illithi citizen during that time to take more part in it. The worst part for me was the long, boring peace talks in the end, though watching the pirates be thrown under the bus was nice.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/28/2013 04:43 PM CST

I know the GM's are really busy right now, but one thing that used to bring folks together were mini-fests.
Prior to the paid events (no complaints about those events) there used to be one or two tents/caravans/wagons
that used to just pop up here and there. Folks definitely gathered around for those. Maybe when Simu
offers the free accounts the population will rise again which will be good for us and good for Simu since
I would believe many new folks would get hooked and upgrade.

In the meantime, if you see around -- don't be shy. Let's go have an adventure!

Player Behind Lorwryn
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/28/2013 08:07 PM CST
>I know the GM's are really busy right now, but one thing that used to bring folks together were mini-fests.

You mentioned it, but the pay-fest is a huge deal now. To counter it, there's the 'not pay fest' every other 6 months, so we get a fest of some fashion every 6 months. Consolidating the fests to just two per year gives the GMs time to really work on items, and polish things. I don't disagree, small mini-events like the mini-fests would be nifty.

>Maybe when Simu offers the free accounts

Solomon put a kibosh on that, at least for now. It's possible it will happen 'some day' but I believe the plan is that it's not planned for now.

Pants.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/28/2013 09:40 PM CST
>I know the GM's are really busy right now, but one thing that used to bring folks together were mini-fests.

It is funny that you mention this because I thought about posting about the same thing, along with small invasions as well, yesterday. I know there are still invasions but there used to be at least one a weekend even if it was only some tribes of wild bears or something like that (which btw I think is pretty cool to think about, although nowadays too many people will just roll their eyes at the puny bears, unfortunately)

Hopefully some of this stuff will come back along with some new players.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/28/2013 09:45 PM CST
> I know there are still invasions but there used to be at least one a weekend

I'm going to go with 'rosey tint of memory' for 300 Alex.

Just like the '10,000 people used to play!' comments.

But, once the 3.0 stuff is cleared and beaten down to submission, the GMs may actually have time to step back and do some of this stuff again. There's hope, but what do I know.

Pants.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 02/28/2013 09:50 PM CST
>I'm going to go with 'rosey tint of memory' for 300 Alex.

No not really. But I am talking about a long time ago when there were 1400 people on at peak hours.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/01/2013 05:49 AM CST
Its not a wagon, but Fritha popped in to do alterations, the cloth dude did some today for premies, and there have been at least 5 invasion type attacks since 1/19 that I'm aware of if not more.

The GameMaster team is definitely making noise all over the place in terms of events.

Hell I had a great interaction with a GMPC at at like 7 in the morning one day recently when the new justice was released on Taisgoth.

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/01/2013 09:48 AM CST
The Outcast War still gets most interesting reactions from people I chat with OOC, ranging anywhere between "I loved it, let's do that again!" and "I quit DR due to it and I'm still not coming back!". I think the GMs have made huge strides in resolving so many of the issues that occurred during that war including things like no more starry road walks. While I do think the general population of DR could indeed handle it now much better than "we" did back then, I can certainly see why the GMs are unwilling to step into that pot of boiling water all over again.

When I was involved in all the court stuff I made huge efforts to involve as many people in the related RPs as possible, hence the large staff I always had going and I'm glad to see others are doing the same, such as the Zoluren court RP growing with staff members, the continuing of involving others in the Shard scene and that's awesome. It opens the door for all sorts of interesting spinoffs, drama, conflicts, confusions, resolutions and just plain fun. Ironically, I tend to avoid RP since the trial [yes, a year later I still have issues with it] and I can't seem to get away from it no matter where I go so I'm sort of torn between trying to start up a new RP something something or continuing to work on fading into oblivion [read constant hunting on a remote island] and reading threads like this makes me think all over again. I have noticed that people are starved for events and social interactions to the point that they'll travel across the provinces to attend events they are normally not interested in. I always chuckle at someone that will go to a ball just to be able to get their "grumpy guy don't talk to me" persona going and I applaud the efforts they go to for it.

Dialog like this is awesome and I hope it's sparking some ideas in people for new ventures to pursue.

Also, you'll get out of RP what you put into it and it doesn't have to be huge and dramatic all the time, sometimes the simple little spontaneous chats that occur ingame can end up being the most fun.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/01/2013 08:21 PM CST
<<Ironically, I tend to avoid RP since the trial [yes, a year later I still have issues with it]>>

That seems like an epic hook for fun character development in response to that event, should you choose to pursue it. If that remark is an OOC "have issues with it" than my only response would be that maybe there's a middle ground between the options you laid out. Whether you move your character to oblivion, or react otherwise, they're both "starting up new RP." She experienced an event..what does she do now? "Nothing" is itself an RP choice because others perceive it as such. Just my take.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/01/2013 08:41 PM CST
I have a ton of responses to that but it frankly comes off as a whine fest so let me just say it's mostly an OOC issue that I have with how the whole thing was shoved down my throat as a player. I'm still feeling my way through what I'll do with Drex in the end and doing my best to roll with the continual punches she gets due to the event. Luckily I do have a core group of support that keep me going and Sebestyen's player goes to extreme efforts to keep me interested in DR, otherwise I'd have quit the day after the trial.

Going back on topic, I've been playing a few new chars lately and I'm still finding scads of little RP stuff going on everywhere. With the changes to some of the training things that no longer spam the room, I think that's helping gathering spots feel more like social places and less like mindless scripting spots. I'd love to see more of that sort of thing go on, like maybe collecting rocks not message the room, folding paper, cambrinth snapping! I'd love silent cambrinth.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/01/2013 09:51 PM CST
<<I'd love to see more of that sort of thing go on, like maybe collecting rocks not message the room, folding paper, cambrinth snapping! I'd love silent cambrinth.>>

Such a great idea. No idea how it'd be implemented, but it would be really great, as a squelch from either side.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/02/2013 01:27 AM CST
>>Such a great idea. No idea how it'd be implemented, but it would be really great, as a squelch from either side.

I've been praying for more silent options too. It's just odd -- teaching, perceiving are okay to be silent, but other things we have to watch, and it just makes socializing that much harder.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/03/2013 12:59 PM CST
Ciressa was one of my favorite characters to interact with, FWIW.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/03/2013 09:56 PM CST
>Ciressa was one of my favorite characters to interact with, FWIW.

Aw, that makes me smile, thank you.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/04/2013 05:04 PM CST
As a player of mostly gnomes, I always loved Ciressa's "Tiny Announcements" about which tables were open, etc. Always wonderful interactions with Ciressa.

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/04/2013 08:16 PM CST
I'm rather touched that people remember that. I've missed RPing her, I just lost the heart for it after the fight about the plaza location and petty stuff that went on. I'll give serious thought to how I can bring some of that back.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/04/2013 09:07 PM CST
Ciressa opening up shop was an event of its own. I always looked forward to it.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/05/2013 12:09 AM CST

Wow I feel kinda silly. As long as I've known Drexella I never knew that you played Ciressa. I loved her RP and always enjoyed the tiny announcements and was even enough to entice Rgamato into prolonged shopping trips in town. Hard to do with a ranger sometimes.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/05/2013 12:19 AM CST
Drex's player RPs her characters extremely well. That's my uh... complaint in this thread? Yeah, I'll roll with that. Damn her for RP'ing them so well!

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/05/2013 02:09 AM CST
Balm for the soul? Thank you for making me better about sticking it out. My RP skills have been pretty low this past year as I struggle to keep my OOC anger and my IC char rage separate. Playing my "happy" chars helps me so maybe I need to bring back more tiny humor.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/05/2013 05:41 AM CST
>>so maybe I need to bring back more tiny humor.<<

^This.

Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/05/2013 07:25 AM CST
Yea! it' been too long anyhows

Rehlyn

A Maelshyvean shadow beast slows long enough to deeply inhale some of the swirling shadows surrounding it. After a moment, it sighs with great releif and blackness oozes from its ears and nostrils.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/05/2013 07:41 AM CST
I remember Ciressa for her "free" box. I was a young player and it was very nice to come RP with her while outfitting myself with better than store bought stuff.

Thank you!!! You made things very enjoyable.

Dierik

The average Moon Mage doesn't have a player keen enough on lore wonkery to keep up with it. Armifer
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/05/2013 08:46 AM CST
<<Damn her for RP'ing them so well!

#awesomeRP

Madigan
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/05/2013 08:48 AM CST
I didn't realize Ciressa was your character, I just figured she left for a break and still wasn't back. I thought her 'shop' was GREAT, and I loved the for free bag too.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/05/2013 02:25 PM CST

I am in awe of those who can RP well. I definetely do "RP lite" with Flavius- he sticks with his story but I just don't have the energy to really immerse myself into it.

As a cleric, there are tons of opportunities- but to do them right would require to courses of actions which might make other parts of the game less enjoyable for me or for others.

So Kudo's to the very few of you who do it well and stick to it. You make the game much more fun.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/06/2013 02:21 AM CST
My thought on this sort of thing in DR is that ultimately the only person responsible for your happiness is yourself. You can let circumstances bring you down or you can choose to rise above it and move on.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/07/2013 05:09 PM CST

>Balm for the soul? Thank you for making me better about sticking it out. My RP skills have been pretty low this past year as I struggle to keep my OOC anger and my IC char rage separate. Playing my "happy" chars helps me so maybe I need to bring back more tiny humor.

Yes we definitely need more tiny humor. Plus we would absolutely hate to see you not be able to resolve this and end up fading away entirely. I know that I've always enjoyed any interaction Rgamato gets with Drex and would definitely feel the loss.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/07/2013 06:13 PM CST
Thank you for the kind words.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Where exactly IS "The social side of dragonrealms"?? 03/09/2013 07:39 PM CST
To the OP:

I think what mainly keeps me from socializing more in game is that I can get pretty busy RL. Lately it's because I freelance so my hours can eat into my free time, a lot. So when I'm logged into DR sometimes I just can't be paying full attention even if I want to be.

In the past, I've let that put me in hiatus, but being involved with Zoluren stuff lately has made me unwilling to just drop off into one of Talli's wanderlust modes.

I try not to be too hard to find. Playing a ranger, though, makes it less easy for me to hang around the usual gathering spots. I do have a crystal ring though and I tend to think they facilitate RP. The hard part is knowing who to contact to get involved with something. You can watch IC announcements through this forum, I know Vinjince uses'em a lot at least.

And Drex: I am so glad you didn't leave. I bet it's hard. Sebestyen is a stand up guy!

Talliska Wildclaw
Free agent of Zoluren