Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 10:11 PM CST
I'll cut myself short to keep from getting some form of punishment for my opinions, this originally was rather verbose.

Back after several years.
IG popular hangouts gone.
Massive gameplay changes.
Most player-ran sites gone, or ancient.
Play.net forums near impossible to navigate.
Most information found is subjective at best. (Lot of probablys.)
Most player interactions one-sided as I can't seem to find people actually atk.
LOST

"Beauty is desired in order that it may be befouled; not for its own sake, but for the joy brought by the certainty of profaning it."
~T. Stoppard
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 10:17 PM CST
Also I'm kind of put off by the fact that it seems the game I left still exists, but only if I'm willing to spend an additional $25-$35 a month.

"Beauty is desired in order that it may be befouled; not for its own sake, but for the joy brought by the certainty of profaning it."
~T. Stoppard
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 10:19 PM CST
www.elanthipedia.com

Pretty much all of the useful information that has ever been on a player-run site is there now.

Rev. Reene

"On this earth and in these times, Good and Bad are inseparable: I accept being evil in order to become good." - Jean-Paul Sartre
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 10:25 PM CST
I actually checked out elanthipedia, and while I did find some information, the bulk of information I was looking forward was either placeholder stubs, or guesses which wasn't much better than I could do myself.

~T. Stoppard
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 10:27 PM CST
>>I actually checked out elanthipedia, and while I did find some information, the bulk of information I was looking forward was either placeholder stubs, or guesses which wasn't much better than I could do myself.

Elanthipedia is a pretty comprehensive resource for most things. What specifically are you looking for?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 10:30 PM CST
Welcome back!

Old hangouts: There was a shake-up with room mana, so many of the hangouts that were based on good mana have shifted to the next closest good mana room.

Massive gameplay changes: Yes indeed! There has been rather a lot of development in the past few years, and overall the game has changed for the better and is continuing to do so. Elanthipedia and players IG will help you adjust.

Play.net forums: Can't argue with that.

Player interaction: There are some zombies out there, nothing new. Just have to find the people you enjoy interacting with.

Good luck!
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 10:37 PM CST
Information on new verbs that have came out, information on how to train astrology, information on what happened to mana, and the aforementioned 'where is everyone' questions that I wouldn't expect to find on a wiki.

~T. Stoppard
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 10:51 PM CST
<<Information on new verbs that have came out

Almost every verb is documented on elanthipedia. Check out the Command category:
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Category:Commands

<<information on how to train astrology

Caelumia put up her newbs guide to training astrology a while back:
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Reene/Astrology

<<information on what happened to mana

There is mention of both the sort-of-new mana system and the manastorm event that lead to it on the wiki in a few places:
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Manastorm
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:MANASTORM_-_7/13/2009_-_1:22:31
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Power_Perception

<<and the aforementioned 'where is everyone' questions that I wouldn't expect to find on a wiki.

You're not going to find that on a random player site either outside of 'the NE gate is a common hangout place.'

In short, elanthipedia really does have a ton of info and is an amazing resource. It has its flaws of course, but everything does.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 11:12 PM CST
The beauty of a wiki is that it's a constant work in progress, and anyone can work on it.

It's unreasonable to expect that any player-run resource will be absolutely perfect. We're trying. You're welcome to help. But some of us have other responsibilities, and I personally cannot dedicate myself to keeping every article within my purview updated, no matter how much I might want to.

Rev. Reene

"On this earth and in these times, Good and Bad are inseparable: I accept being evil in order to become good." - Jean-Paul Sartre
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 11:33 PM CST
>No searches that I tried came up with this result indicating, at least to me, that unless you were aware of it's existence, you would have no way of finding it.

MediaWiki is intuitive and easy to navigate, just like the DR forums! I suggest spending some time reading their search documentation because because it is not a google box.

But if you want a google box, you can hack one with a google site search. It's ugly, but it can work. You can similarly search the forums, but your success in that endeavor will depend extremely on the search skills you bring to the table: it's a mess.

Show up for one of the events on the calendar, you're liable to run into some people who can point you in the direction of people who can answer your questions.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 11:47 PM CST
>>MediaWiki is intuitive and easy to navigate, just like the DR forums! I suggest spending some time reading their search documentation because because it is not a google box.

I'm convinced that part of the search problem is the proliferation of useless namespaces on elanthipedia.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/22/2009 11:49 PM CST
I keep begging people to make more redirects, too.

I occasionally run into redirects that have been deleted for some reason and I rage a little bit. There is really no reason to do that, ever.

Rev. Reene

Re: Welcome to the island. 11/23/2009 05:32 AM CST
I've played this game off and on for the greater part of the last decade, as I'm sure many people have. I don't consider myself to be an 'expert' per se, but I do know some things. As for all the things I'm researching, I'll find the information whether it be by links given by you kind people, or elsewhere, but I'd like to help where I can. I'll head on over there today and make an account and see if there's anything I can contribute.

~T. Stoppard
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/23/2009 09:26 AM CST
Welcome back to DR

I dont know if there's already something like this on elanthipedia but you could contribute with an article aimed towards players who recently came back to the game and found themselves lost.

Right now you're the one feeling lost but i'm sure you'll have most of the answers in a few weeks.

You'll find that the big majority of the changes have made the game better and the ones that didn't are part of a long term process to make it better :D
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/23/2009 10:03 AM CST
<<I dont know if there's already something like this on elanthipedia but you could contribute with an article aimed towards players who recently came back to the game and found themselves lost.

I think elanthipedia has a 'no guide' policy. Its a bit confusing in that anyone can put a guide on their own user-page since its personal content (like Reene did with her astrology guide), creation systems can include instructions on how to make things with it, and skill listings can have sections on how to train them. But I think an out-and-out 'Guide to being a...' isn't allowed.

Any of the elanthipedia mods can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Welcome to the island. 11/23/2009 04:46 PM CST
Olwydd.org is a good site as well.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."-William Shakespeare
Re: Welcome to the island. 03/18/2010 01:31 PM CDT
Welcome back.. whoever you are.

You're definitely not alone. I giggle to myself watching Elriic and Arourra relearn all the new game facets :D

-Meanne
Re: Welcome to the island. 03/18/2010 03:55 PM CDT

Kindly remember to check the dates on the posts you're responding to folks.

I was puzzled.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Welcome to the island. 03/18/2010 05:43 PM CDT
Meanne is a thread rezzer of legendary standing. If we didn't <3 her so much we'd probably give her more crap about it.

-=Issus=-
Re: Welcome to the island. 03/19/2010 12:23 AM CDT
Welcome to the jungle, we've got fun and games?

"What a curious phenomenon it is that you can get men to die for the liberty of the world who will not make the little sacrifice that is needed to free themselves from their own individual bondage." ~ Bruce Barton
Re: Welcome to the island. 03/19/2010 01:16 AM CDT

Wrong folder for song lyrics.

This one's done.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.