consent farmers VS AFK/unresponsive 07/28/2007 02:55 PM CDT
I'll post this here because of some of the compaints I've heard about consent farmers.

My first point is consent farming.

There are a few players who (I'll put this nicely) love PVP. There are many players who are nervous or apprehensive to engage in PVP activities. Some players want to avoid PVP at all cost and feel they should have the right to do so above anyone else's right to engage in PVP.

This presents an interesting mix. More then just a few of DR's policies exist because of this mix.

Consent is such an involved subject. Some people look at it from the "shut up, grow up, and stop complaining" side. Others look at it from the "I pay good money to play this game and no one should be able to treat me in this fashion" point of view. A quick read of DR policy (easily found by typing POLICY in game) shows that "*1DragonRealms has been designed to promote competition as player vs. creature, or player vs. puzzle, and not generally player vs. player." But: "*1In general, Simutronics will not get involved in any player vs. player conflict which is confined to a small group of players."
And thus "consent farming" is born. PVP is part of the game, but not a major part. It is allow but not promoted. My version: if you want to join in PVP you need friends that also enjoy it or provoke it from people that might, or might not, want to engage in PVP activities.

There other ways to enjoy PVP activities: "*1Some events (such as the Gladiatorial Games), encourage player vs. player combat in a structured setting." I've never joined in with these activities and know nothing about them.

My second point is scripting.

DR grants great latitude where scripting is concerned. We are allowed to use if for travel, story telling, and yes, even combat. The one thing we are not allowed to do (unless you are in TF) is to AFK script.

I script all the time. Almost everything I do is a script. For me DR is not a typing contest. I do not enjoy typing the same thing over, and over, and over again (I do enough of that at work). Some skills I learn best by scripting. DR's learning system involves a great deal of repetition. Does this mean I condone AFK scripting? NO!

Another look at DR policy shows: "*2Any method allowing a player to gain skills, experience, money, or any form of in-game advantage in any Simutronics game while being unresponsive to the game environment is prohibited."

The key word here is "unresponsive".

Ok, you might by this time be wondering why I posted here in the Social Side of DragonRealms. My point is some of the best role players I've met have been "consent farmers" while some of the worst role players are unresponsive and I assume AFK scripting.

Many, and I mean a great many wonderful role players would never be abusive to another player. But I'll take a role player that is abusive over an unresponive scripter any day.

*1 found in policy 11
*2 found in policy 16
Re: consent farmers VS AFK/unresponsive 07/28/2007 03:19 PM CDT
I'm lost as to why you posted this in 'complaints'.

Was it to make the 'omg afk scriptorz teh badz' point? If so, I think everyone (everywhere) who cares has gotten it. A long bloody time ago.
Re: consent farmers VS AFK/unresponsive 07/28/2007 09:46 PM CDT
You wasted a whole lot of words.

Therefore a wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. --Niccolo Machiavelli, "The Prince"
Re: consent farmers VS AFK/unresponsive 09/04/2007 05:16 PM CDT
I found your post interesting and well written.

I personaly dont mind when people afk script. they choose to take the advantage of rapid experiance gain. and take the risk of being killed, looted, walked while they are gone. I dont see how anyone can be worried about AFK scriptiers. mabey someone will get a few ranks of perception or hiding from it, but its unlikely they will push any global caps with it considering players who find scripters tend to find it great fun to murder them.

Limitation strictly defined by motivation
Re: consent farmers VS AFK/unresponsive 09/04/2007 08:48 PM CDT
Wow, what game are you playing?

~Dulcinia

[Mvorn] "Dulcinia is the only woman I would allow myself to cheat on my wife with, she's dreamy"
[Mvorn] "Sometimes I dress Yuki up like you and have her yell at me, it's so hot"
Re: consent farmers VS AFK/unresponsive 09/05/2007 06:15 PM CDT
I script when I am bored and in some out of the way place where few people go so the chance of having someone interact with me is low. I can look at my skills, make sure my items are in order, watch Elanthian TV (Gweth chatter) amongst other things. Want to know what has enough entertainment value to make me stop my script?

Killing people for trying to drag me into hunting areas and doing other nonsense things to me while THINKING I am afk. Because that is part of the fun of ignoring people while I script. And its made even better by the fact that I can prep spells without anyone seeing! I pay attention to the GM's, if they require a response they will get it as soon as they ask.

You are not the first person to start the "Save Dragonrealms from evil scripters!" campaign. While youre at this why dont you start a thread about mule empaths, horse perception, and the overpowered "X Guild" too.
Re: consent farmers VS AFK/unresponsive 09/06/2007 01:30 PM CDT
DEBI7405 FTW

~Player behind Korutu